Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a toy that I groom and get by with old scissors/clippers. I'm looking for a mini and want to have the right tools for grooming. Need Christmas ideas so would like to hear what make of scissors are recommended. Does not need to be high end. Also kinds of scissors, straight, curved, rounded tip, detangler, etc. thanks

·
Registered
533 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have a toy that I groom and get by with old scissors/clippers. I'm looking for a mini and want to have the right tools for grooming. Need Christmas ideas so would like to hear what make of scissors are recommended. Does not need to be high end. Also kinds of scissors, straight, curved, rounded tip, detangler, etc. thanks
For a good all-around shear I like Dubl Duck 88Bs, you can usually get them on sale for around $60.00....I use them for all rough scissoring pre-bath and for in-between quick touch-ups. My REALLY good finish shears are Chris Christensens and I only use them on clean just blown out coat. I bought both of mine (different lengths) a number of years ago and paid around $150 each for them on sale, I think they run around a little over $200 now.

That being said, the feel of shears is very much personal, what fits in one person's hand and is comfortable for the constant motion of scissoring might not work for another. Same with weight of the shears and length. I recommend trying shears before you buy them if at all possible. A lot of times vendors will be at dog shows, etc. Also, consider who will sharpen them. Some brands, like my CCs can only be sharpened by the vendor or certain representatives of them or the warranty will be voided, others, like my DDs, it doesn't matter A good sharpener will keep your shears sharp with a nice edge for years without grinding off too much of the shear itself. Most of my shears I have for years before I need to replace. A lot of times you can leave your shears (or blades) with a local grooming shop to send out when they send theirs out - they usually have someone good they work with. I send my stuff to Whitmans when I need blades and shears done, also would use them because they are authorized to sharpen CC shears.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts