Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I’m very excited because we picked up our much anticipated baby standard poodle yesterday. He’s all of 9.5 weeks old, black, (male), & doing well so far at our home. Are there any people great with naming dogs out there? I love so many of the names of people’s dogs on PF. This is my short list, but I will take any suggestions: Baker, Casper, Anchor, Dune, Beacon, Spooky. Attaching a few pics~TY

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
He is a super nice looking pup! I don't have any specific name suggestions other than that I like 2 syllable vowel sound ending call names, so even though my spoo boy is Javelin he hears Javvy much more often. And Lily, well....

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Such a darling boy. He's full of personality :).

I'd see what suits him as you get to know him better. For some reason, Albert was the name that came to mind when viewing your photos, and I do like the nickname Bertie that would obviously follow.

Your short list is fascinating. The only one there I'd maybe veer from is Spooky, just in case it could accidentally cause others to think it's a descriptor of poor temperament, not his name.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
He is really handsome! Here are some of the names of standard poodle males that I have had or been associated with: Charley Black, Banacek (Banners for short), Fred, Columbo, Banyan, Barney (short for registered name of Barnstormer), Dillon.

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
He is beautiful ! Maybe Coal ?

Or if you like foreign names, Noiraud means «*little black guy*» in French or Charbon means coal.

·
Premium Member
9,621 Posts
A friend of mine named her dear, departed black Spoo, Harry, and his name always made me smile. Casper would be ironic and cute. Let us know what you name him. He’s adorable, btw.

·
Registered
388 Posts
My current 2 Standard girls are blues and their call names are Gaelic based to reflect my Irish heritage, but prior to them I had 2 black Standard girls, one of whose name was Raven and my user name here is Eclipse to reflect the other. See this link for some suggestions for black/dark dog names which might give you some inspiration..https://www.mydogsname.com/black-dog-names/

·
Premium Member
4,029 Posts
I like James. I'd want a masculine name for a male poodle. Male poodles are often mistaken for females - like all poodles are female - LOL That said, I also do like Spook (not Spooky)
Whatever you name him- you sure have a handsome boy.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Oh what a looking boy!!! He'll probably pick his own name once he shows you who he is hahaha! A few boy names I like;
Axel
Truman
Baxter
Rocco
Briggs
Mackie
Maxwell
Ryder
Chase
Sullivan (Sully)
Fletcher
Quinn
Gunnar
Indy
Aero
Jasper

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Our black dog is Jazz. Jade is the only other name I considered for her. In a previous thread about names, someone was considering Biscuit (or maybe one of the family's children had suggested it). Doesn't really fit a black dog (he is a beauty, btw), but it's so cute I'm holding on to it for my next dog (not that I'll ever have another dog, at my age).

·
Registered
596 Posts
I always wanted an all black large dog and name him Vader - as in Darth Vader. I think for a male Spoo that is on the larger side it could be quite stunning.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Congrats

He's an adorable pup! Oh, the terrific memories you and your family will make with your new poodle will be plenty.

Go for Casper!!!

We call our SPoo, Monty. He was formally known as Montgomery, Chevalier des Nuages d'Argent. He is our knight of silver clouds. LOL

·
Registered
12 Posts
You’ve probably already found a name but I thought I’d put my two cents in. First your puppy is beautiful! Congratulations! We have a black Subaru also. Our rule for naming our dogs is to have a two syllable name that doesn’t rhyme with a command (Beau, for example, is too close to “no” for us), and that is easy to use in a number of affectionate variations. Our dog’s name is Ziggy. We also sometimes call him Ziggapolis, Ziggster, Zig, Zigboy. You get the idea. Have fun!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts