Poodle Forum banner

Name dilemma

1K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Johanna 
#1 ·
So we are keeping a running list of possible names for our future poodle puppy. We both like star trek so its a good possibility that our poodle might get a star trek name. We were watching Enterprise: The Next Generation recently and I started to like the name Q. So for those who don't know Q is an omnipotent alien that can transform into different species, move people and objects and well basically everything. But most of all he likes to play tricks and games on the humans for his own amusement. He especially likes to ensure that his favourite human is paying attention to him, has a great dislike for being 'bored' and has a tendency of upping his attention seeking and mischievious behaviours when he is.

Here is a clip of the character:

You can see why I think that Q might be a good name for a poodle :LOL:

Its not a bad name, it is short, easy to say and for the dog to remember. Doesn't sound too similar to any commands. But there is one problem with it, the spelling. Can you imagine calling the vets office???

Me: Hi, I would like to book a yearly exam for my dog
Receptionist: No problem, what is your dogs name?
Me: Q
Receptionist: How is that spelled?
Me: uhm Q....

See less See more
#2 ·
LOL I like it, I remember Q, and it would be a memorable name!

When we decided to take two puppies I wanted to name the adventurous one Marco and to name his brother Polo. Picture me in the park "Marcoooo, Poloooo, where are youuuu?" This was voted down by DH.

#10 ·
To be fair, I dont live in an english speaking country and english spelling is rarely consistent or phonetic...

Its one of the culture shocks I had when I moved to the UK as a teenager. In my native language spelling and grammar rules apply to names as well. But in english people can just pick a spelling for their name. Like Kathryn and Catherine are the same names... that doesnt make any sense to us foreigners! 😂

#11 ·
Q is one of my favorite Star Trek characters by far, and I think it is an excellent name for a poodle. About the spelling, I used to spell Evie my Spoo's name EV or E.V. The vet figured it out pretty quickly, you just have to tell them that it is spelled the same way it is said.

Reactions: kontiki
#13 ·
I think Q is a fabulous name for a poodle, and if my husband had any interest in Star Trek I'd be sorely tempted to steal your name idea! A friend adopted two kittens last year, and her husband insisted on naming rights for one of them. So they now have a cat named Dr. Beverly Crusher. My friend, who has absolutely no attachment to Star Trek in any way, calls her Bev.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.