Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a second opinion.

I got some chicken feet for Basil. The ones I ordered online have the nail on them. This is our first time exploring feet snacks. I've been cutting the nails off with kitchen scissors because they're like mini talons. I wouldn't want them to rake her poor insides on their way out, and cost us a trip to the vet.

Is that the right call? Are nails okay or not?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Oh, they are dried. I've only given fresh (or frozen) ones, and never bothered with the nails. These might be pokier, though. If it makes you more comfortable to remove the nails, then do it. Maybe easier to use nail clippers than scissors, though.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I'd snip them tbh.

·
Registered
598 Posts

I don’t know about the dried ones but my understanding is there should be no problem with the raw chicken feet nails, especially with a larger dog such as a Spoo. The nails have been no problem for Bobby. I would like to think that if the nails were a problem they wouldn’t sell them with the nails. I would do whatever you feel most comfortable with though.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Raw the feet in their natural form are fine, nails & all. Dogs have a super powerful digestive system & handle that all just fine so long as their digestive system is normal & the dog doesn't have problems there. So normal healthy dog... fine. I have no experience with dried ones. I would never feed that sort of thing if it was smoked, cooked in any manner so I don't know what (if anything) difference dried makes to the equation. I buy mine at one of the grocery stores & they get them right out of the package into the doggie bowl. Crunch, crunch, slurp & gone :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts