Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How short do you go with toenails?

Somewhere in my obsessive searching for poodle info, I found a citation that said the nails should not touch the ground when the dog is standing normally, which makes sense to me. That still looks a bit long to me, though.

Or does anyone have links to good photos of feet with 'proper' nails?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I would really just use a dremel and get as close to the quik as you can without cutting it.

Some dogs who are used to having their nails done every week..or sometimes twice a week can have much shorter nails than dogs who go longer between nail trims.

So giving you a photo of a dog with very short nails could be misleading to you..and if you tried to just snip it that short it could quik the dog.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
my sister's spoo puppy has nails that stick out longer and look closer to the ground than my spoo puppy
but then after reading a thread about feet, i realized that her dog is flatter footed (if that's the term) than my spoo. Temperance looks like she walks on tippy toes more.
i am also more diligent about taking her to have them trimmed too.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I'm obsessive about keeping all my animals nails short (and mine) and if I even see any points starting to form (normally after a week) out come the clippers and I shave off the ends of them all. When you do your dogs nails, don't just cut, start shaving off the end little by little, the inside of it will start to get softer and a different texture and color. Stop there. Vegas will normally let me know when I'm getting close and whine a little (he's sensitive.)

·
Registered
104 Posts
A pet hate of mine is dogs with to long nails.
But IMO from experience there is such a thing as to short, becuase i used to trim my GSD's nails weekly, and they were very short, but i started to notice after a fairly long walk active walk they were bleeding a little bit, but I know it was not because i had cut the quick.
so I dont do it as often now but they are still not long.
Bec

·
Registered
216 Posts
Inca has black nails and I cut them weekly, usually as they are forming points. My other little girl absolutely hates her nails doing and I took her to our vet nurse to see if she was better for her. I was told that nails that I thought were too long, didn't need cutting. I think this was because I got used to seeing "extremely" short nails in the show ring.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would really just use a dremel and get as close to the quik as you can without cutting it.

Some dogs who are used to having their nails done every week..or sometimes twice a week can have much shorter nails than dogs who go longer between nail trims.

So giving you a photo of a dog with very short nails could be misleading to you..and if you tried to just snip it that short it could quik the dog.
Sorry, should have been clear ... I do Dremel his nails now (black nails + clippers = one of us is unhappy :)).

At the moment, I Dremel down to where you can see a good bit of nail when he is standing normally, but it is nowhere near touching the ground. But when he moves (wood floors) I can hear them. I need to take a photo!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
if you can hear them i'd be working them shorter.... the quick might be long- so just work it back shorter and shorter each time.

My dogs are driving me nuts- we have no power at the house so it's been 3 weeks since we did nails OMG driving me NUTS NUTS NUTS !

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
yup, to get them as short as show dogs, you need to dremel them every 2-3 days to GET them back that short initially, and then keep ontop of them religiously to KEEP them that short. I might do an experiment and work Paris' nails back to being really short, cos they're really long right now! I'll make a wee 'log' of photos.... hehehe

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Ok, I've started it; the toe nail project!!!

I will grind Paris' nails every 1-3 days (depends on what I'm doing really, and if I remember!) to work them right back to being short lil nubs like I'd like, and I'll take photos (with the date stamp on them) every time I do them to document it...

You can see in the first set of photos that when I grind Paris' nails and want them to be shorter, I grind right up to the quick, and then I grind AROUND the end too; so the quick is really quite 'exposed' (without ACTUALLY being exposed of course!) in theory making it recede quicker/more? We'll see! :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Yeah, how do they get those super short nails? I've noticed this too. I want my dogs nails that short, rofl.

A technique called a "Whack and Pack". its basically quicking the dog, then using quick stop to stop the bleeding. Then they are dremeled each week to keep them short. This is of course if people do not keep the nails maintained. If you start when the dog is young (or well before a show) and you dremel the nails often,the quick doesn't grow long. but a lot of people still quick the dogs instead of maintaining them:( I saw it on a show grooming DVD

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I know there's a surgical procedure called a 'cut back' where they cut the nails back when the dogs under and seal them off.. but I would never quick a dog on purpose when them awake. =/

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
new pics from today are on the toe nail project..... :)

I have heard of nails being quicked on purpose (and then using quick stop or something to clot the bleeding) to get them short.... both under anaesthetic and awake... :/ TBH I don't like it if the dog is under anaesthetic and it's done cos they ARE tender afterwards, and it really doesn't help all the work I put into getting touchy dogs to allow me to do their nails!!!!

It's only been three days and Paris' nails are far better, why on earth put a dog through pain like that!?? :doh:

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I love short nails too. Mitch came to me with TALONS, but they're finally getting to an okay length.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts