Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a planned breeding for my girl for her next heat, but the owner of the stud found out her husband has terminal cancer and she isn't in any mental state to finish his testing. Sooo.... I have picked out a new stud for her, hopefully this will come through, although artificial insemination will have to work for us.

Do you all think this stud is good? I'm thinking he will be perfect. Look at his pictures, how square he is! Looks like our puppies could be great for conformation.

This is him... Trigger!
http://www.harmonyhuntingpudels.com/Trigger.html

·
Registered
209 Posts
Wow... I'll let the breeders and show dog people here speak to the technical details, but I love the color!! I didn't know there was a "darkening" gene in poodles, just a fading/silvering gene.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love all of the information on that website. And I also love that they get back to the basic instincts of a Poodle. I looked at that website of the Russian Grandfather of trigger, that dog is BEAUTIFUL!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The only thing I notice on him is his tail set. Its a little lower rather then high on the back. If Paris's tail set is higher that is good. If Paris and the stud both have low tail sets then the puppies will probably carry that on. (not good) Otherwise, I think he looks good.

My Eli has a low tail set and I can't stand it. It takes away from his expression because I can never see his tail wagging. If you are hoping for a few show quality pups out of this litter, the tail set is a big deal.

Let me know what you think. I also like seeing that the breeder is using there Poodles for what the breed goes back too. You don't see that often.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought Paris had a very low tail set, but recently, now that she turned 2 she has started carrying it up high. It really suprised me.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Ooooh, I just looked at daddy. Yes, he is a beauty....I love him and the cut. Daddy's tail set looks good. Well, I wish you the best of luck and when does your Paris go into season?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She should come in around the last of December, first of January.
Thursday she has her hip testing done, and thyroid. Monday is her eye CERF, and she's already had her vWB done.
We are pretty much ready!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I like him. He is a beautiful dog, and I love that they breed for temperament along with conformation and health. Good luck. You have to keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Sorry your original stud plans fell through, but Trigger
is quite lovely and I'm sure him and Paris would
make puppies with good conformation. I love
Trigger's coloration and how square he is, and
it looks like he has came from excellent lines. :)

Good Luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I do love their meticulous attention to health issues, and it appears that he has great hips, but in spite of that his rear appears less than ideal, a bit straight in the stifles, also his neck is a little on the short side. Were I in your shoes I would re-read the AKC Standard and get a copy of the Poodle Variety Stud dog issue and look again, but your goals may be only health and temperament and then he's likely just fine. I'm only critiquing conformation.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
lol, this thread is well over a year old now...

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Weird that a year old thread related to a recent dust-up was brought up again.

Just saying.
Yeah after the poster that bumped it hasn't posted anything since they joined in Nov. 09 and these red breeder threads suddenly are bumped up.:eek:hwell:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Old threads

I'm mea culpa here - likely guilty of some revival. I have found that I learn enormous amounts from other breeders and even more from pet owners because they're the real proof of the breeder's pudding, but if I can return that favor I do so. That was my motivation behind pointing out real world issues in photos of a real world dog used at stud.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts