Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
My male poodle puppy was desexed early and I now know that wasn't the best thing. I am so worried that he will have problems now - with growth, incontinence, cancer etc. I just wanted to know if anybody also had a poodle that was desexed early and if they are okay.
I'm really down about it :( thanks in advance

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
I think he will be okay. Now we know it’s best to wait, but about 30 years ago when I worked at a vet clinic, we did spaying and neutering on kittens and puppies as young as 6 weeks. Back then it was the newest trend so there must have been something they saw in it.

I also know of a European breeder of griffons who sells all her puppies desexed at 8 weeks. It’s a rare breed and she wants to make sure nobody is going to make »griffodoodles » with them. She’s been doing it for at least 5 years so I suppose she doesn’t have too many problems with the puppies she sells.

Next time you’ll know better but your puppy should be fine. He will grow taller and lankier so maybe you can give him some joint supplements to help. And avoid too much jumping, which is something to do with any puppy anyways. Make sure he doesn’t bear too much weight and has just the perfect amount of fat, to help his joints. Ask your vet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think he will be okay. Now we know it’s best to wait, but about 30 years ago when I worked at a vet clinic, we did spaying and neutering on kittens and puppies as young as 6 weeks. Back then it was the newest trend so there must have been something they saw in it.

I also know of a European breeder of griffons who sells all her puppies desexed at 8 weeks. It’s a rare breed and she wants to make sure nobody is going to make »griffodoodles » with them. She’s been doing it for at least 5 years so I suppose she doesn’t have too many problems with the puppies she sells.

Next time you’ll know better but your puppy should be fine. He will grow taller and lankier so maybe you can give him some joint supplements to help. And avoid too much jumping, which is something to do with any puppy anyways. Make sure he doesn’t bear too much weight and has just the perfect amount of fat, to help his joints. Ask your vet.
thank you very much for your response. I will talk to my vet about the supplements and will be sure to monitor his weight etc. thank you.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
I'm pretty sure your guy will be just fine. Health considerations seem to go back and forth. At one time no one neutered their dogs at all, well that equaled too many unwanted puppies. Then it was all about spaying/neutering, it was for taking care of the too many unwanted puppies and they found it prevented some health issues. Now in large breed dogs its better to do it between 12-18 months old as they find that is better for the overall health. I rather agree with the latter but who really knows. I've had dogs all my life and I really didn't see any big issues but I'm sure in certain breeds there can be. Just follow the normal protocol for raising a puppy. NO running with it on leash and over exercising it, there is a guide somewhere for this. Avoid slippery floors and jumping excessively. Slow growth is better than fast growth, hence I do not feed puppy formulas after 5 months but that is on a recommendation of my vet and a dog trainer I knew. Each vet has their own recommendations . Personally it done now and I wouldn't worry about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts