Poodle Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
You need to lower your expectations of what he is able to do right now. Why would you expect a baby to be house trained in a few days, to walk on a leash, to already have basic obedience under his belt? He's a BABY - and probably doing the best he can. Lowering your expectations might take some stress off you and a lot off of him. If he's peeing on the bed - keep him off the bed. If he's chewing your shoes, put them up. Set him up for success. Don't forget that dogs do not reason like humans; if he has an accident - he didn't do it to make you angry, he did it because he is not understanding what you want him to do. Remember to cuddle and play with him - a lot. I think you are so stressed by what he can't do, you're missing a lot of the fun of a puppy. Be calm and consistent with him (I know - easier said than done). You will get there with him.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
We are settling in to a bit of a routine now and his name is Niko. Still struggling with house training as he doesn't seem to get it, but we monitor him constantly and make use of his play pen and crate. He enjoys going to the field by our place where other dogs go and plays if there are dogs there, and is learning to fetch with a ball as well. We are starting puppy training on Saturday so hopefully that will help, I am not doing too well training him on my own. I had him go to dog daycare yesterday as I had dental surgery and he can't be alone yet ( screams in his crate). He went to a smaller one at a persons house with just a few other dogs. At first he didn't want to go and actually got away from the leash and ran back to me, but he did settle in after a few hours and had tons of play time with the dogs there.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I had my best luck with keeping track of mine as a puppy and learning when he would want to go to the bathroom by tethering him to me, and watching for any body language tells, then rushing him out to go pee. And I made sure to never give a treat until he had done something I wanted. For example, pee or poo outside - treat immediately; quiet in crate - treat immediately; sit, which I would say as I saw him start to sit - treat immediately; come when called - treat immediately, etc. No other treats at all.

Here are good potty training ideas by Kikopup:

or
2 potty training kikopup - Google Search

She also has some other great training videos on her channel.

Best of luck with your adorable little one with the gorgeous hair! :)

61 - 73 of 73 Posts