Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, by the owner of the toy.

there was an older couple walking a toy poodle and i said, oh look temperance, there is your cousin!

the man grabbed the toy up and turned his back on me like i was going to pull a gun on him or something!

i was so shocked by his behavior, we live in a really friendly area and very dog friendly. he didn't even make eye contact with me after the initial glare.

his wife said something like, oh what a nice dog. the entire time the man stood away with his back turned holding his dog.

he was really odd acting. the dog just looked at us. her look was curious, not fearful, nor aggressive.

i wonder if they have properly socialized the dog. i wonder if he has ever been properly socialized?

the woman wasn't apologetic for his behavior, but said something like, "oh i like standards she seems to be really calm" & i said, "yes she is and she's a 7 month puppy", to which she was really impressed.

i walked back in my friend's shop with her and said, that man was scared of us or something!

they heard and he glared again.

weird.

i hope they were tourists and go back to their lair.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Oh no he didn't! I would have left that rude man with a :thefinger:. Perhaps not - but still I don't understand people without basic courtesy.

·
Registered
558 Posts
As the owner of small poodles, I am a bit wary of some larger dogs. I know how lethal it could be for my dogs, if the large ones were agressive. That said, I don't assume they will be. If they seem well behaved, and the owners seem responsible, I'll ask if a meet and greet is appropriate. It has always turned out fine. Large and small dogs interact well. It could be however, that their little poodle was once attacked by a larger dog. In that case their overprotectiveness is understandable,

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
What an unpleasant encounter!!! I will never understand people who guard their small dogs that way. I am owned by two standards and a 12.5 lb havanese and it's been wonderful for everyone. My little dog is comfortable with big ones (thinks he is at least a rottie) and my big guys have learned to love and be gentle with little ones. I also frequent dog parks and we have many dog walkers who walk mixed groups. My absolute favorite is the little chi mix who is at the most 5 lbs and is the bravest, smartest little guy I've met. He is friendly, active, independent and loving and all big dogs adore him. My hat is off to his owners who pay to walk that little guy daily.

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
I agree with Poodlelvr's take on this. Perhaps the couple's toy poodle was set upon by another dog at some point and that made them leery. Or maybe they're just not knowledgeable about dog body language and behavior and think any unknown dog poses a threat. Then again, they could just be extremely overprotective by nature and don't let their dog interact with other dogs. (Like you suggested, they may not have socialized their pooch. Sounds like they don't socialize themselves either, lol!) Or how about this, even though it's a stretch, maybe their dog hasn't had all its shots and they didn't want it near a strange dog? Then again, they could just have been a couple of weirdos!! If Chagall ever had the chance to meet your Temperance, we'd both be thrilled and friendly enough to make up for the "cold fish" you met. There's a store I take Chagall into from time to time and everyone there fusses over him (why, not? he's an adorable charmer) except one rather large woman, who literally slams her back up against the wall and scurries away, with a look of abject fear in her eyes. Dunno what happened in her past!)

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i can understand being cautious, but this man was way overboard. i can't even express how he behaved.
:wacko:

if he or his wife had said, "oh we've had problems w/ big dogs in the past" i would have empathized, but it was over the top weird.

i'm going to chalk it up that the man hasn't been properly socialized.

sheesh. i mean, my house is owned by the evil lily, the 18 pound female cairn terrier here. i even told weird man and his wife, i grew up w/ a mini poodle.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Teddy was snubbed by an aussie and its owner today. Teddy kind of lurched forward on the leash (I was talking to someone on the sidewalk) like he wanted to play and startled the poor dog for a second. His owner glared at me like I had a rabid rottie on the other end of the leash. I'm sure her dog could have held his own against my little furball. LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts