Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Fenris (spoo), Sushi (old grumpy cat)
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is how he trained me without me even realizing it. I work from home. Fenris can get up on furniture but can't get down without help, and he usually brings toys up with him. Sometimes he drops them, then growls at me to pick them up for him (or take him down). It's always easier to pick the toy up while I'm focusing on work. Plus, it didn't happen often.

Until today.

So Fenris is up on my bed playing with a squeaky toy, drops it, growls, I pick it up. It happens again, I pick it up. For about an hour it keeps happening but I notice it's happening more and more often. I'm focusing on work so this is all happening absentmindedly. But I do catch on eventually. I watch him fling the toy near my desk. That's when I realize that when this first started the toy was next to the bed and it progressive got closer and closer to me.

He basically taught me to fetch without me realizing it. Wow, he is so smart! My poodle trained me, haha!

Now he is huffing and puffing on the bed because I took the toy away and won't play his game anymore.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beware, too, of poor, helpless poodles who can’t get their balls out from under couches and yet mysteriously seem to send their balls rolling in that direction over and over (and over) again. ;)
Yes, poor helpless baby, lol. Though he is seriously afraid to get down from furniture. I'm not sure if I should encourage him down or if he'll just get down when he feels he can do so safely.

·
Premium Member
4,462 Posts
Asta all his training. - I just take his cues and you then teach him to associate the behavior (or a modified command) with a command. My latest is Settle Down which he has always done in the bed. I has trying to teach him a Rest command for when I felt like I was going down due to a balance problem. I would try for what seemed the longest time. Every time I tried the new command he looked at me confusion in his eye. Finally I thought he already knows the Settle Down command and that was what he needed and understood. Smarty pants Asta - for teaching me once again what he can do.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Asta all his training. - I just take his cues and you then teach him to associate the behavior (or a modified command) with a command. My latest is Settle Down which he has always done in the bed. I has trying to teach him a Rest command for when I felt like I was going down due to a balance problem. I would try for what seemed the longest time. Every time I tried the new command he looked at me confusion in his eye. Finally I thought he already knows the Settle Down command and that was what he needed and understood. Smarty pants Asta - for teaching me once again what he can do.
That is so cute! I read that they were smart but actually seeing it is mind blowing.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Beware, too, of poor, helpless poodles who can’t get their balls out from under couches and yet mysteriously seem to send their balls rolling in that direction over and over (and over) again. ;)
Definitely beware.....Bobby has us trained quite well to retrieve balls under the couch.
Guessing he likes to see his humans stretched out on the floor as they retrieve those balls. LOL!!!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Poor AnnIe's humans are mean. The third time they have to fish the ball from under the couch, the ball goes away. Before that rule, she would toss it in the air, and stand watching as it rolled all.... The... Way.... Across.... The.... Floor.... Under.... The... Couch. Then run, and start barking for help. Good way to get the humans up and moving, I guess.

Annie also loves the 'fetch, human, fetch!' game. She stands on the bed or couch, I toss a ball at her mouth. If she misses, I run and get the ball, then throw it again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts