Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help! My son was found to be allergic to dogs 2 1/2 years ago. We decided to start looking for options since we are dog lovers and we couldn't bear not living with one, specially since my daughter has been asking for one the last 4 years. We tried to foster and put our name in different places but we couldn't find a dog since we have kids under 6 years old. We found a breeder willing to work with us, and everything was working great ; we went to see the puppy(and there was not reaction whatsoever after 40 minutes and we also talked with the breeder about having a 3 day trial with the puppy). Everything was working great until day number 5, for some reason my son started having a mild reaction, mainly itching nose and body; we started giving him allergy medicine and even though he is doing better, you can tell he is still having a reaction ( itching nose and body). I just bought a Hepa air filtering machine and Allergen free filters for the house. What else can we do? Today is day 10 ... will he get better? should we wait? can we tried to do something else? We are thinking about our puppy too, he is 8 weeks 3 days. Please any advice will be appreciated.

Update: 1 week after posting this ...we decided to let the puppy go to a family that wasn't a maybe but a yes. Things didn't improve for my son... he was showing more and more allergic reactions. We are heartbroken but we had to do the right thing not only for us but for the puppy. I tried everything that I could to keep the puppy but sometimes life is not fair. If you are reading this because you are wondering if it will work... just know that it will be painful if this doesn't work.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Yikes! Poor son!

Have you bathed the puppy ? I am mildly allergic to my poodle (very allergic to other dogs) and regular bathing is really helpful. I also can't handle dog saliva, which is where most of the protein is located. I make sure I wash my hands if the dog licks me, and don't allow her to lick my face.

Do you have carpet? Or hard flooring? Is the dog allowed in the child's bedroom? We had dogs I was allergic to as a child, and it was greatly helped by not having a central heating (I assume a HEPA filter would work too) and having the dogs not allowed in the upper story, and having no carpet or soft furnishings or rugs, and leather couches instead of cloth.

·
Registered
Fenris (spoo), Sushi (old grumpy cat)
319 Posts
I am mildly allergic to poodles, much more to other dogs. I didn't have any allergic symptoms at first either, then they started and I was itchy for about a month, then they progressively went away and most days I have no reaction now (after 2 months). So there is hope BUT each person with allergies is individual so there is no saying that that will happen to your son.

As for what For Want of Poodle said, bathing did help me, and brushing him out did as well. I also have tile floors and make sure to air out my house. Also, maybe brush him in a room where your son doesn't go in often? I know my allergies flared up more when I am grooming him.

·
Registered
759 Posts
The air purifier will make a huge difference to your air quality lol. I can't believe I waited 28 years before getting one. I very clearly remember thinking "so this is what clean air smells like". Good call Dad (or Mom)!

But, puppies need a good bath or two once home from the breeder. I remember my allergies being terrible when I brought Basil home. You can probably accomplish this in the kitchen sink. You don't need a fancy poodle shampoo either for starters, just head to your local independent pet store and say "I need basic pet shampoo". The gals/guys there should be able to assist you.

Also, search "Allergic to puppy" to see what's see been mentioned in the past. This topic pops up frequently.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
I always give myself 2 weeks before deciding if I can tolerate a dog or not. I also always make arrangements before taking the dog home with the breeder; in case the dog can’t stay with me, it goes back to the breeder.

I figure 2 weeks, 3 max is the most time reasonable to keep a puppy to test for allergies. No one can know if your son will tolerate the dog or if it will get worse. For me, I’ve learned through the years that if I’m not better after 2 weeks then I won’t get better at all. I am allergic to both my toy poodles now, but it is tolerable. I do have to take asthma and allergy medications and I have bought a commercial grade air purifier that I keep in my bedroom and I also had an air exchanger installed through the house. I live in a cold climate and we can’t open the windows on winter so this brings in fresh air for me.

Opening windows as much as possible, not having carpet anywhere, no dog in the beds or in the rooms, no dog on the sofa if sofa is tissue, teaching your son to wash his hands after touching the dog and not touching his face, no licking, especially in the face (the dog can’t help licking but your son needs to stay away) and bathing the dog regularly are things that will help. You could also try allergy shots but it takes years, when it works.

Some people have success with eating olives. I’ve done it with my last poodle puppy and I think it helped.

In any case, your son’s health is the most important thing. Watch him closely and do no wait too long to bring the puppy back if you think it won’t work. It will only make it hard for the puppy and your family.

I sincerely wish it works out for you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I too have allergies. I took allergy shots in preparation for getting a poodle. I tolerate both our poodles very well. Sometimes I get a little congested if I've been brushing them. And if I've spent a day grooming one of them, it's smart to take a shower before I go to bed In addition to taking shots, I also take Allegra, a daily pill for asthma and Flonase.

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but my allergies are at their worst with puppies. Once the puppies mature a little, my allergies are much improved!

It's tricky, but I believe it can be done! Good luck!

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but my allergies are at their worst with puppies. Once the puppies mature a little, my allergies are much improved
For me I think it’s the opposite. Puppies are easier for my allergies. They’re smaller, so less allergens produced.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am definitely having some issues since our puppy came home, but I’m just taking my Flonase and Zyrtec and hoping I’ll grow accustomed with time.

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,816 Posts
My allergies flare up after Peggy’s been running around in the grass. And they got really bad every time she was groomed until we found a different shampoo.

Just mentioning this in case your son’s allergies are being triggered by something related to your puppy but not your actual puppy.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
I have a couple questions..
you say puppy is 8 weeks and 3 days, is that presently was is that his age 10 days ago when you brought the puppy home?
How severe are his allergies? Can he take take a etc medication to minimize his reactions.
Has the puppy been bathed and groomed?
I also can understand that you perhaps will not want to keep a child on medication in order to have a dog so do you feel you can wean him off after some time.
I have a niece who just cannot have a dog, her child is highly allergic and has major breathing difficulties. They tried a few breeds including poodles and did air filters, whole house air filters, and it just unfortunately didn't work for them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello there! thank you so much for your answers and opinions. At this point, I don't know what to do but wait and see, this situation is heartbreaking because I need to think about the dog as well. We are taking the following precautions:
  • puppy is not allowed in second floor= where rooms are or where we have carpet
  • Puppy is only allowed in hard flooring.
  • I got a HEPA Air filter machine
  • I bought HEPA filters
  • Puppy already received a bath with a hypoallergenic shampoo
  • I bought the allerpet lotion and I have applied it twice
  • We got him here when he was 7 weeks 1 day so we could have time to have a trial time.
  • My son reaction was mild... and its so weird since everything was working so well until he started playing a lot with the puppy and the puppy scratched his eye.... after that he started sneezing and he was itchy in parts of his body.
  • My son is 4 year old and he is eating, running around, sleeping normally but you can tell that he is having a little reaction like touching his nose / scratching his body from time to time
-We are currently given him 2.5 of Xyzal and yes I'm super worried about giving him the medicine because even though he is taking it ... you can tell he still have allergies (very mild). And also I don't know for how long he will be taking it.

At this point I want to be fair to all of us... the puppy too.. I'm just sad this is happening

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Hello there! thank you so much for your answers and opinions. At this point, I don't know what to do but wait and see, this situation is heartbreaking because I need to think about the dog as well. We are taking the following precautions:
  • I bought HEPA filters
  • We got him here when he was 7 weeks 1 day so we could have time to have a trial time.
  • My son reaction was mild... and its so weird since everything was working so well until he started playing a lot with the puppy and the puppy scratched his eye.... after that he started sneezing and he was itchy in parts of his body.
  • My son is 4 year old and he is eating, running around, sleeping normally but you can tell that he is having a little reaction like touching his nose / scratching his body from time to time
-We are currently given him 2.5 of Xyzal and yes I'm super worried about giving him the medicine because even though he is taking it ... you can tell he still have allergies (very mild). And also I don't know for how long he will be taking it.

At this point I want to be fair to all of us... the puppy too.. I'm just sad this is happening
Well it sounds to me like you are doing everything possible for a good outcome. Could be the scratch made his reaction a bit more but I'm glad to hear it is mild. Perhaps this will work out for your family. I wouldn't give up. I have also heard that exposure at a early age often lessens allergic reactions later. I would be sure he washes his hands very well after his interactions . I have a good feeling about this.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Your son is far more important than a dog. I am allergic to dogs, and only have a problem with my poodle if he has been playing around other dogs, or has been hanging out where they have been, picking up the dander or whatever it is that I am allergic to. Then he has to be bathed in a super pure shampoo as I am also allergic to many dog shampoos.

If I had problems all of the time I would not be able to have him as I am not willing to take chemicals for the rest of my life. Also, are you sure it is 100% poodle? Most doodles are not hypoallergenic no matter what they say.

·
Registered
440 Posts
  • I bought HEPA filters

Any breeder that would let a puppy go home before 8 weeks is sketchy in my book, no matter if they did it to "work with you". Besides it being illegal in many states for a puppy to go to the new home before 8 weeks, it is also a disservice to the puppy, especially in its social development, to be separated from littermates before that time....

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Any breeder that would let a puppy go home before 8 weeks is sketchy in my book, no matter if they did it to "work with you". Besides it being illegal in many states for a puppy to go to the new home before 8 weeks, it is also a disservice to the puppy, especially in its social development, to be separated from litter-mates before that time....
Not only that but frequently puppies who do not stay with their mothers and littermates are undersocialized and end up with problems such as aggression. If this has happened I would know that it is not a quality breeder. Having the puppies is a lot of work for the breeder. It is normally puppie mills that do this.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts