Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
I don't get it either - and I'm blonde too. Are you going through a phase of frustration?

You've competed with Asher successfully. And anyone who competes with their dog knows you have good days and what the heck happened days and lots of NQs. Mostly you keep strengthening your bond and love with your dog. Clearly you and Asher have that bond and love.

Reactions: zooeysmom

·
Premium Member
9,562 Posts
That’s Buck, but it sure isn’t Asher! In 13 years, he’ll have an alphabet of titles, twice over, extra vowels:) Were you expecting an OTCH or a Schutshund in a minute? Enjoy him, he’s amazing and a decade too young for despair.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Aww he is beautiful and keep at it. He is young and he will do it, so will you. Gets frustrating I guess at times.

·
Premium Member
22,879 Posts
I have gone through times where it was worth it to take a break. If the dog isn't enjoying what it is doing and/or you are stressing about how things are going then walk away for a while (maybe weeks, maybe months). Then go back and see how it goes. If you feel good continue, if not walk away knowing that you and Asher have done orders of magnitude more things together than most dogs will ever do with their people in their whole life time.

My bottom line question is "is what we are doing making our relationship better?"

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. We had a few weeks off from obedience classes right now and I've pretty much slacked on the training so we're sorta taking a break anyways (not in agility/weaves). So we'll see what we get when we go back to class in a couple weeks. But it's still going to be next year at least till he's ready to do anything in a competition

·
Premium Member
22,879 Posts
I've been training with Javelin since he was a puppy. He turned three in May. His first entries that were serious were in June. We need one leg for beginner novice and should get it next weekend, but that doesn't mean he is ready to go on. Therefore he will also do beginner novice at my club at the end of September. We did rally novice before he was a year old just because I wanted a title with him at PCA with him before they moved to St. Louis.

revarn is right it is the journey that matters, not the destination, even though ribbons and prizes are nice they are just an external measure of the truly important thing which is you connection to your dog.

·
Premium Member
22,879 Posts
I've been training with Javelin since he was a puppy. He turned three in May. His first entries that were serious were in June. We need one leg for beginner novice and should get it next weekend, but that doesn't mean he is ready to go on. Therefore he will also do beginner novice at my club at the end of September. We did rally novice before he was a year old just because I wanted a title with him at PCA with him before they moved to St. Louis.

reraven is right it is the journey that matters, not the destination, even though ribbons and prizes are nice they are just an external measure of the truly important thing which is your connection to your dog.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts