Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My standard puppy just got neutered yesterday at five months and now he’s using the bathroom in the house!
He knows how to use the bathroom outside and on potty pads. He’s been going on a consistent schedule and hasn’t gone in the house in months.

Is this common/usual after getting neutered? He’s peed and pooped in the house in one day! Do I have to start potty training again?

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,816 Posts
I wouldn’t be too concerned if he’s a little out of sorts the day after surgery. Even without a major event like that, housetraining regression can occur during adolescence.

Does he have diarrhea? That can sometimes cause indoor accidents, both pee and poo.

·
Premium Member
13,225 Posts
I would imagine he is groggy and confused from the anaesthetic and more than a bit uncomfortable. I would cut him some slack - lots of short trips outside, lots of puppy pads inside.

Reactions: Dianaleez and Liz

·
Super Moderator
2,595 Posts
A lot of puppies are not reliably housebroken at five months even without surgery added to the mix. It's not at all surprising to me that he might regress. I would treat like a much younger puppy and confine him to a single room or playpen while you reinforce potty training.

·
Registered
440 Posts
My standard puppy just got neutered yesterday at five months and now he’s using the bathroom in the house!
He knows how to use the bathroom outside and on potty pads. He’s been going on a consistent schedule and hasn’t gone in the house in months.

Is this common/usual after getting neutered? He’s peed and pooped in the house in one day! Do I have to start potty training again?
Curious as to whether there a reason he was neutered so young? 5 months is basically a pediatric neuter.... The prevailing opinion currently is to let the growth plates close before spaying/neutering and that doesn't typically happen with Standards until a year at minimum......

Reactions: Raindrops

·
Registered
18 Posts
My poodle had accidents inside the house after spay surgery and will sometimes have accidents when she is sick. I think being in pain, disoriented or having changes in bodily functions can cause accidents. When this happens with Pechey, I put a waterproof blanket down on the couch, add in extra potty breaks and try not to get ticked off because it doesn't necessarily reflect a regression in training. Sadly my attempts to get Pechey to ring the bells on the door have never panned out! So it's tough for me to read her signs when she needs to go more than usual. Hope your pup feels better soon!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ziggy had two accidents the week after he was neuteted and he was over a year old and fully potty trained. He seemed just as surprised as I felt when he started peeing! I chalked it up to stress of the surgery, the more limited outdoor exersize time, the medication, and hormone changes. We added in an extra bathroom break for month or so.

If it persists, you could ask your vet to check for a uti, but I think one or two accidents after surgery shouldn't be too alarming.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts