Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I have a playpen set up for my puppy with his bed, water bowl and pee pee pads. During the night, if my dog poop on the pad, he goes crazy until I pick it up. I don’t notice this when I am with him. Probably bc it is picked up right away. Any suggestions? Is this normal? Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
24,143 Posts
This is part of effective house training, just like with a human baby. If a baby poops their diaper during the night would you leave them wearing the dirty diaper? Of course not, remember a dog's sense of smell will find that much more intense than any human. Get up and provide a fresh pad, sorry to be blunt but I don't think there is any other answer.

Reactions: Dechi

·
Super Moderator
9,093 Posts
Yep. What @lily cd re said. It’s actually a very good sign that your puppy doesn’t want to be near his poop. It’s much harder to potty train puppies that are comfortable with pee or poop near (or in!) their bed.

You could try making his sleeping space larger, so he can potty further away. Or why not get him on a schedule? Set your alarm to take him out in the middle of the night and then slowly (maybe verrrrry slowly, depending on his age and size) push that time later and later until he’s sleeping through the night.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I agree with PeggyTP. You are training him to do something you don't want- pooping in the house. If you are getting up to pick up the poop, you might as well get up a few minutes earlier and take him outside.

On another note, the cheaper the dog food the more he will eat, and this creates more need to potty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts