Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I recently noticed that Mochi’s hair started ripping off. She has 2 chunks where her hair basically ripped in half. I will show you some pictures. What do you think it might be the cause and how can I solve it? She often scratches on one part, but she didnt scratch the other at all. Do you think it might be the harness that’s making her hair fall?
8379704F-9E49-4A27-9F00-ECFD4A54B29E.jpeg D73FFCFA-2D8C-45F8-B2A6-87C42B6341E4.jpeg 58E537CC-B3F1-439F-B4D5-E0CFFAB2837E.jpeg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have been brushing and combing out regularly? Can you easily get a comb through your pup's hair?
yes, i brush it everyday or every 2 days at most, and yes, i can get a comb through her hair quite easily

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I agree the hair looks very dry and brittle. Can you detail her diet and what you do to care for her coat?

·
Premium Member
6,541 Posts
FB_IMG_1588026920904.jpg

FB_IMG_1588026932365.jpg

Does it look like this?
A gal on another group I belong to has a 3 + month old golden doodle, apparently this is a normal puppy coat change in a doodle.
I would ask your vet, if there is something wrong with your pup

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree the hair looks very dry and brittle. Can you detail her diet and what you do to care for her coat?
i feed her royal canin puppy and i would add from time to time some wet food (i usually give her royal canin or purina pro plan) and eggs, with the shell. I usually brush her with only a slicker brush, but i would also comb her hair from time to time. I haven’t bathed her until now cus the vet told me not to, and I also haven’t cut her hair yet (because the vet said i shouldn’t do it until she’s around 5 months).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
View attachment 466276
View attachment 466277
Does it look like this?
A gal on another group I belong to has a 3 + month old golden doodle, apparently this is a normal puppy coat change in a doodle.
I would ask your vet, if there is something wrong with your pup
yes, it looks exactly like that. the only way i can ask the vet is to go to his clinic, i hoped that i dont have to take her there again since she’s really scared to go there and we already went last week, thats why i thought i should ask here first. I will probably take here these days

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Do you think it might be the harness that’s making her hair fall?
Does you dog wear the harness pretty uch all day, like a collar, or just for walks ? Harness aren’t meant to be worn all day and they can cause irritation and other problems.

As far as not bathing or cutting hair before 5 months, this is nonsense. Good breeders will groom poodle puppies to get them used to it even before 4 weeks of age, and baths will come very early too. Your dog has hair that will grow all his life, and if he hasn’t been introduced to bathing, clipping and grooming at an early age, good luck... A disaster waiting to happen !

·
Super Moderator
5,147 Posts
From a nutritional standpoint, I wonder if Mochi could be getting too much calcium from the eggshells + the puppy food? Puppy food formulas are designed to provide all the necessary vitamins and minerals for healthy growth. Too much or too little could cause an imbalance.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
As far as not bathing or cutting hair before 5 months, this is nonsense. Good breeders will groom poodle puppies to get them used to it even before 4 weeks of age, and baths will come very early too. Your dog has hair that will grow all his life, and if he hasn’t been introduced to bathing, clipping and grooming at an early age, good luck... A disaster waiting to happen !
This is all true. There is no reason not to bathe puppies and dogs. Mine get bathed about every two weeks. There is also no reason not to groom a puppy, especially a poodle. For reasons beyond my control (ahem DH), my boys didn't get properly clipped til they were almost six months old. I have been bathing them since we got them home at almost nine weeks old.

The groomer who had been doing the clipping finally told me that one was getting mouthy with her and she wouldn't be able to continue grooming them, I've had to learn to do it myself to keep them tidy and mat-free. If they had been groomed from the time they were too young to be scared, I wouldn't have to do the grooming myself now.

As it turns, out, I'm enjoying doing the grooming but they don't look so good :(.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does you dog wear the harness pretty uch all day, like a collar, or just for walks ? Harness aren’t meant to be worn all day and they can cause irritation and other problems.

she’s wearing the harness for less than 2 hours everyday, she only wears it when i take her on walks.
i was planning to take her to a groomer before she reaches 5 months because i know that if i wait longer it will be harder for her to get used to it, but since everything is basically closed down i can’t take her now.
She’s having her first bath tomorrow but I have introduced her to the water before, she’s not particularly fond of it, but i believe that she’s going to like it soon.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From a nutritional standpoint, I wonder if Mochi could be getting too much calcium from the eggshells + the puppy food? Puppy food formulas are designed to provide all the necessary vitamins and minerals for healthy growth. Too much or too little could cause an imbalance.
wow I’ve never thought of that to be honest, I haven’t given her too much eggshells though since I give her eggs once at 2-3 days I didn’t think it could cause an issue. I have to mention that I have started doing this recently (around 1 or 2 weeks ago)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is all true. There is no reason not to bathe puppies and dogs. Mine get bathed about every two weeks. There is also no reason not to groom a puppy, especially a poodle. For reasons beyond my control (ahem DH), my boys didn't get properly clipped til they were almost six months old. I have been bathing them since we got them home at almost nine weeks old.

The groomer who had been doing the clipping finally told me that one was getting mouthy with her and she wouldn't be able to continue grooming them, I've had to learn to do it myself to keep them tidy and mat-free. If they had been groomed from the time they were too young to be scared, I wouldn't have to do the grooming myself now.

As it turns, out, I'm enjoying doing the grooming but they don't look so good :(.
I agree with everything you have said and I find it totally true. I can’t go back in time to do what I should’ve done, but now that I know some more things I will try to take smarter decisions for both of us.
I am sorry to hear that it’s been that way for you :( Even though it doesn’t look as good as you would want to, doesn’t grooming them yourself feel more rewarding?

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I am sorry to hear that it’s been that way for you :( Even though it doesn’t look as good as you would want to, doesn’t grooming them yourself feel more rewarding?
That's very kind, and yes, there are benefits to doing it myself :).

Reactions: nunchi95

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys! I recently noticed that Mochi’s hair started ripping off. She has 2 chunks where her hair basically ripped in half. I will show you some pictures. What do you think it might be the cause and how can I solve it? She often scratches on one part, but she didnt scratch the other at all. Do you think it might be the harness that’s making her hair fall?
View attachment 466265 View attachment 466266 View attachment 466269
Have here checked for demodex. May just want to treat for that as they are hard to detect. My puppy lost all hair on her forearms around 6 mo old. Their immunity gets stronger, and they are not so prone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I experienced trouble with hair breaking off. Finally, a breeder helped me to figure out the problem. Chy
I had a similar problem. Cheyletiellosis
also called walking dandruff. We finally were able to treat him and conquer it. His hair was breaking off from it being dry and brittle. Caused from the mites.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts