Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! You might remember me from December when I was supposed to get a puppy in January unfortunately so to the breeder tht fell through but since then I have gotten my forever life buddy from a much more reputable breeder! His name is still echo! He is the light of my life and supper intelligent at 15 weeks. His breeder did free feed though and I’ve tried to get him off of that but his vet keeps telling me he’s underweight so I don’t want to take food away when he’s underweight but I also want him to be on a feeding schedule. He’s currently on Purina pro plan focus large breed puppy food which is what his breeder fed him and what our vet recommended. We have tried chicken stock and beef stock but he always gets bored with it. Should I try different food and if so what food? Has anyone tried farmers dog or something similar? I’m worried because he’s still about 3 pounds underweight. Any advice would be most appreciated!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
How long have you had him with you? Has his eating been off since he came home or did it start after?

So long as it's not due to some sort of health issue, the last thing you want to do is help create a picky eater by catering to him.

That said, of course you want him to keep eating, and if it's a case of his not liking the food, then slow transitioning to another food should be ok.

You'll get suggestions but it ultimately comes down to what he actually likes to eat. I now have to tell on myself because I thought I had a picky eater on my hands, even thru several food transitions. It turned out that I just hadn't found one that he really liked. I have now, and my picky eater now dances when his kibble comes out.

As for transitioning, once you get some suggestions, the big box stores and Chewy will take food back (they donate it I think) if your pup doesn't go for it. Petsmart also used to have occasional Sample Saturdays where several brands were featured and you get try them out.

·
Registered
12,496 Posts
Sophy would go off kibble when the bag had been opened for more than a few days and it became even very slightly stale. The answer for her was wet food, and eventually I started cooking for her and for all the animals. From what I have read about how the oils sprayed onto kibble turn rancid I think she may have had good reason to avoid it. Dried food is convenient, but wet ends to be more highly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
I would try another flavor food. Galen started out on the ProPlan Focus Lamb & Rice formula. He got increasingly more difficult about eating it while being perfectly happy to eat Pogo's adult lamb & rice Savor. At this point I'm just going to let Galen continue eating Pogo's adult food, as I don't want to introduce another food that might not agree with Pogo if he gets into it.

·
Registered
6,924 Posts
Some dogs are grazers and very hard to force on a fixed schedule. For 40 years, all my dogs were on fixed schedules. Then came Beckie... No matter what I tried or how hard I tried, she would not eat when I wanted her to. She eats whenever she wants. Even as a puppy. So I just left food all day in her bowl and also fed her a small quantity of canned food at supper time.

Today, at 3, she still has her weird habits and likes to eat her kibble at 9pm, just before going to bed...

To find a food your dog likes, get 10-12 samples of good quality food from your local pet store and give them as a treat when the dog is semi-hungry. Pick his favorite two and grab one for now and keep the second in reserve, in case you need to make a change for whatever reason.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How long have you had him with you? Has his eating been off since he came home or did it start after?

So long as it's not due to some sort of health issue, the last thing you want to do is help create a picky eater by catering to him.

That said, of course you want him to keep eating, and if it's a case of his not liking the food, then slow transitioning to another food should be ok.

You'll get suggestions but it ultimately comes down to what he actually likes to eat. I now have to tell on myself because I thought I had a picky eater on my hands, even thru several food transitions. It turned out that I just hadn't found one that he really liked. I have now, and my picky eater now dances when his kibble comes out.

As for transitioning, once you get some suggestions, the big box stores and Chewy will take food back (they donate it I think) if your pup doesn't go for it. Petsmart also used to have occasional Sample Saturdays where several brands were featured and you get try them out.
I’ve had him for for almost two months but at his first puppy vet visit, which was three days after I got him, his vet told me he was like 5 pounds underweight. I have kept him on the same food the breeder gave him but I have tried other flavors of it I think it comes in chicken and lamb but no dice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the advice! I’ll definitely get sample food and see what kind he likes the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
272 Posts
I had a similar situation where my now 4 mo th old standard only wanted meat. I was feeding him the kibble breeder was but he never really liked it so I mixed with boiled chicken or wet. It got to the point where all he would do was pick out the meat and leave kibble. Our vet mentioned when I brought him in for first check up(8weeks)that he was skinny. So, I kept with boiled chicken, tuna, and bland burger. I eventually found kibble he likes, Beneful puppy and ive cut the meat and treats and he is eating better. If we ain’t careful they train us! Those adorable poodle sad eyes 🥺😆 Now the meat is for training purposes or his busy boxes. Now teddy is 4 months old and 25 lbs! Also vet mentioned bone marrow from soup bones. That’s probably what helped him the most! That’s some rich stuff!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts