Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...of bugs! Every night he can't wait to go out and chase the moths, grasshoppers and any other insect he can find. Is this okay to let him do? I figure it's good protein??? :dont-know:

I just thought this was soo funny since I recently had a conversation with a breeder about poodle's bred to hunt. lol

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Hahaha....that would be fun to see. A little extra protein will be just fine. "Mmmm, the cream filled kind" LOL

What I would be concerned about is if your pup runs across another night hunter such as an oppossum or a racoon. Racoons are very persistent if they see something they want and know they have the teeth and claws to get it. I figure an oppossum would do the same, especially protecting some young ones. Racoons love dog food and have even seen one dip it in the dog's water to properly soften it up.

I would make sure you keep all food inside to discourage their presence. Don't want rabies or other infectious diseases around your pup that may not be fully vaccinated. A dog can catch a lot of things just walking in the same area of an infected animal.

I think it's a great idea to let him get some physical and mental stimulation hunting if he is supervised. I'm just assuming you have critters in Missouri.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Thats funny! We used to have this nice stray cat come up at night and
these flying beetles would be swarming around the porch light and the cat
would grab them and eat them...CRUNCH, CRUNCH!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yes, we have racoons. Our neighbors have called Animal Control a few times due to problems.

Since he's new to the family and still a pup we've been keeping him on a leash while in the back yard. He also loves to chew on the random gravel that rolls into our yard after a hard rain. We're trying to keep him from that along with only going to the bathroom in a certain part of the yard.

Thanks for the warning reminders!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts