Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm brand new to the poodle thing. We have always had Border Collies but I wanted a standard poodle for some time now and now we have one. Ginger is almost 3 and we've had her since early fall of 2009. She's great but we know nothing about grooming. I'd ideally like her coat to be as natural as possible but she does go to a groomer who has poodles of her own. So I have a bunch of questions since she just had to be clipped right down to get rid of mats and allow her to grow back the same length and start again. So I guess when I look at clips I like the lamb clip best, does she have to be all fluffy like that? Couldn't she be curly like she is once she gets wet? I know those tight curls caused the matting but I hate this all over sheep shearing look even if it is only once in awhile. :smow: How to avoid this again? Even Ginger seems upset that she has no coat left and we try really hard to keep telling her how beautiful she is. I asked the groomer how to stop the mats and she said - don't let her be wet (hard to do in Ontario 3 seasons of the year), groom her every day with a steel tooth comb and every poodle ends up needing a shearing once in a while. Is all that right and how often should she go to the groomer? She's a beautiful girl but right now she looks like a greyhound! All suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Another cute clip is the bikini/miami/clown clip
It gives her long ears tail and pom poms on her feet so she still looks poodle and most of the body short so it is easier to keep neet and clean.
Less brushing. I do Mandy like that and it is so much quicker just to brush the bit of hair rather then like Casey who has the lamb/town and country and takes forever

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So how often do you find you need to clip Mandy and how often do you brush? Also what do you use for brushing??
Thanks so much

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ive never heard that having a poodle get wet is what causes matting. My boys get wet very often and we've never had a problem. In fact my old spoo used to go swimming often and we never had matting from it. Being dirty from rolling around in muck will certainly do it though but as long as a poodle gets brushed out daily and is given a bath fairly frequently keeping a head of the mats shouldn't be to much of a problem. You may not be getting down to his skin with the comb so picking up a decent brush, the kind with spines like a hedgehog, would probably do a lot of good.

The fluffy look is pretty unavoidable to keep mats away as it is caused by being clean and brushed out, not by a certain haircut. Its just the way poodle hair is. It will be curlier if you let him air dry vs with a blower. You could always cord him but that takes a LOT of work and getting wet could cause mildew etc in the coat. I suggest looking through some poodle grooming books untill you find a clip that you like. A pet poodle generally needs to visit the groomer every 6-8 weeks. We'd love to see a photo or two of your poodle :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
I don't brush often enough I would say once ever 2 weeks and she is ok from matts for the most part.
Casey in a longer clips has a few matts then.
I use a slicker and a comb. I start with a slicker though.
I have a dematter if needed I don't have a place to bath them so right now I have to go to a wash your own place and imagine it will only be every 6-8 weeks
I use a shop vac to dry when home but use the good dryer at the bath your own.
My next purchase will be a dryer when I get a free couple hundred.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
look at the german clip too- similar to the lamb- but short ears...

and i'm starting to fall in love with teh historical continental- pondering it for summer... less hair to brush :)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Curls are the result of an unbrushed coat. When a poodles coat is brushed fully, it's fluffy. No alternative.
If you want to keep an unbrushed (ie curly) coat it needs to be very short so as to not need to be brushed, and then it has to be kept clipped every 6-8 weeks to keep it short.

If you want a long curly coat, you will need to make it fuzzy every few days when you brush it out properly. You can spritz them with water to bring the curls back faster after a brushing though if that's what you really want. But if you want a long coat, you can't avoid the frizzy fluffy look totally without leaving them to get matted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts