Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruby is home from her spay. They wern't going to let her come home until tomorrow but with a bit of promising to be a good nurse they relented. I was told not let her lick the wound, but she obvioulsy didn't listen to the instructions b/c she keeps licking it, why don't they want them to lick it? is it not natural for her to do so? won't that help it stay clean?

She is pretty sore and doesn't like being locked up in her kennel one bit, they said she was really sleepy but she isn't sleeping, she is staring at me through teh bars trying to send me a subliminal message "let me out". Is it ok to take her to bed with me tonight or do I have to leave her locked up? I'm pretty sure that once she is fully awake she will be screaming her head off to get out no matter what time it is. She looks rather pathetic and shaking a bit. I'm just not sure what to do with her. I feel horrible that she is in pain but I know I did the right thing, I don't want puppies now or ever, and I want her to have a nice long healthy life with us.

How long til the pain goes away? I remember when I had Quincy neutered he was bouncing around that night,keeping him quiet was not going to happen,but I guess it'snot quite as invasive for a boy as a girl.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Letting her lick it is not good, it doesn't really keep things clean and will likely irritate the site. She of course wants to lick because it probably itches and is sore and in general feels funny.

I think if it were me I would keep her in the kennel tonight, let her out for bathroom breaks. Keep her quiet :)

As for the pain, I think it gets better in a day or two. When Wonder had her c-section she was pretty sore for several days, close to a week, but she was nursing too so that might have something to do with it and the stitches were very poorly done and to tight which my regular vet was unhappy about (the c-section was done at an emergancy clinic)

·
Registered
843 Posts
It takes some time for the effects of anesthesia to wear off.
The shaking is likely related to her having the chills.
Try to put some blanket on her or turn up the heat.
A bit of licking is OK at a later stage,but not excessively.
Use the plastic collar on her or as I mentioned previously...put a folded bath towel,secured with a large safety pin around her neck.
Otherwise,at night,when you cannot watch her she might rip the stitches.
I would leave her crated,not in your bed.
In a few days she will be back to herself and that's when the fun begins...trying to keep her settled.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I have decided to leave her in her kennel all night, I got my sleeping bag all set out and will camp beside her on the floor for the night, that way if she needs me I can hear her before she starts kicking up a huge fuss. As far as the licking, I just put a shirt on her and will see if that works, if not will try the towel idea.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
It takes some time for the effects of anesthesia to wear off.
The shaking is likely related to her having the chills.
Try to put some blanket on her or turn up the heat.
A bit of licking is OK at a later stage,but not excessively.
Use the plastic collar on her or as I mentioned previously...put a folded bath towel,secured with a large safety pin around her neck.
Otherwise,at night,when you cannot watch her she might rip the stitches.
I would leave her crated,not in your bed.
In a few days she will be back to herself and that's when the fun begins...trying to keep her settled.
Yes I agree the anesthesia will take time probably by tomorrow, Tynk did not take that long after hers. I do want to let you know that sometimes they do go through what I call the "retard" stage lol, where they will start behaving strangely after a spay, since it is a total hystarectamy and they are essentially going through the "change of life" so if she does start to do things she never did before, or starts to act weird in her behavior, keep that in mind and try not to worry lol, she will back to normal in a couple weeks, Tynk did some really strange stuff lol, almost as if she regressed back to teething and just little weird things like that just not quite herself, then after a couple weeks she was normal again, that happened with Yanna as well, but like I said just a couple weeks of weirdness then back to their old selves. I hope she has a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anestethic must be wearing off, b/c she is hyper as all get out lol. Took her out for a pee and she insisted on walking there by herself, brought her back in and put her in the kennel, she of course is screaming about it.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
For sure try and stop her from licking the incision. Licking will actually eventually open the incision and can cause infection. If it opens then most likely she'll be back to get staples put in to secure the incision. Its better to avoid that, if possible.

From what you have said, it all sounds like normal post surgery behavior. If it were me, I would keep her crated and resting. For females, its a pretty good size surgery to be spayed. Rest is the best thing she can get for the next few days.

Good luck and I hope she is heals quickly.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Little booger ball is ok today, you wouldn't even know she had anything done. She is still licking so I called the vet and they said just to keep an eye on it, if it started to look or smell bad than to call and get her in ASAP. She is eating, drinking and using teh bathroom just fine. If any thing she is justa little more subdued and more snuggly (but the snuggly makes me happy lol). She spent the night in her kennel, Woudl wake up and cry every hr or so until about 3am, by then I guess she had figured it out that she wasn't sleeping with me lol. Still gotta keep her quiet for another week or so, which I think is going to be a real trial come sometime this weekend. But as long as she remains calm and doesn't get to active she can stay out of her kennel, when she gets excited she will have to go back in.

WHEW!! I feel so much better about the whole thing.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
when Ginger had her spay (she is a standard) Gabie, who is a tiny mini, camped by her crate to watch over her. It was so cute - almost like she was her mommy. lol

·
Registered
133 Posts
When my girl was spayed 14 years ago, it was horrible. She was just going into heat and the vet should not have done it. She was very uncomfortable for many weeks. Keep an eye on the licking - did they give you any pain meds for her? Usually they will take the edge off and then they sleep, so will you. Every day should get a little better. Good luck!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Apparently she feels way better than I think she should because she wants to play, wants to run and be a puppy. I have been kenneling her more than usual but really to keep her locked up 24/7 for 7-10 days seems so cruel, especially when she does feel so well. She was still pretty quiet yesterday but was rough housing with the other dog last night so I locked her up again for a few hrs. Today she has been a spitfire, sassy and demanding and just wants to play. keeping an active puppy quiet for 10 days is HARD work. her incision looks great, not red or weepy etc etc, some of her skin is bunched up a tad at the ends but if it wasn't you would really have to look to see the mark, it's kind of in that grove down the middle of her belly.

She is not liking being confined one bit, but will tolerate it for a while, doesn't bark or kick up a fuss but who knew that one 7lbs dog could have so many different sounding moans and groans lol.

·
Registered
133 Posts
It will go quick. My girl had knee surgery years later and I felt sorry for her and let her not wear the cone, big mistake. She opened up all her stitches in her knee, bleieve me, I saw things I never care to see again. So, off to emergency we went. She did it again the next night as I went into the garage to get her food. SO, just make sure she doesn't open any stitches. It will be a longer recovery time in the long run. Can she have small leash walks??

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It will go quick. My girl had knee surgery years later and I felt sorry for her and let her not wear the cone, big mistake. She opened up all her stitches in her knee, bleieve me, I saw things I never care to see again. So, off to emergency we went. She did it again the next night as I went into the garage to get her food. SO, just make sure she doesn't open any stitches. It will be a longer recovery time in the long run. Can she have small leash walks??
The thing is, she has no stitches, so not sure if she is glued or what they did, but I don't see a single stitch in her, unless they use a new type of invisable stitch lol, she must have something though because her skin does bunch a tad at the ends. The vet said only walks on leash to use the bathroom and thats it. She is so excited to be outside, that she starts running right away....I am tempted to take her for a quick 10 min walk just so she can get some of her wiggly's out, but she is a leaf, rock, stick, bug etc etc chaser so any movement and she would be pulling the leash to get away.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
The thing is, she has no stitches, so not sure if she is glued or what they did, but I don't see a single stitch in her, unless they use a new type of invisable stitch lol, she must have something though because her skin does bunch a tad at the ends. The vet said only walks on leash to use the bathroom and thats it. She is so excited to be outside, that she starts running right away....I am tempted to take her for a quick 10 min walk just so she can get some of her wiggly's out, but she is a leaf, rock, stick, bug etc etc chaser so any movement and she would be pulling the leash to get away.
They actually use internal stitches that dissolve now that is why you can not see any. Zoey just had hers done like 3 weeks ago.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Keep her on the leash, it is only 7 - 10 days and if you allow her to run around like a mad thing you could have serious problems. My friend let her girl run around 3 days after the surgery and she came up in a huge lump which threatened to break the sutures open, which would have meant more surgery, not what your dog needs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts