Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

New to the forum here.

Was wondering if you guys could give me any insight on my poodles tail.

Right now (below) you can see a picture of my poodles tail. Its not as bushy than I'd like it to be.
Hes 16 weeks now.

I know it can be genetics, etc. but is it to early to tell if his tail will be become more bushy ?
My goal is to have the little poof ball of hair when I get he is groomed in the future.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi Guys,

New to the forum here.

Was wondering if you guys could give me any insight on my poodles tail.

Right now (below) you can see a picture of my poodles tail. Its not as bushy than I'd like it to be.
Hes 16 weeks now.

I know it can be genetics, etc. but is it to early to tell if his tail will be become more bushy ?
My goal is to have the little poof ball of hair when I get he is groomed in the future.

Hey there. There’s no photo attached or posted.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I reuploaded it... is it there?
It is now! My poodle has had quite the whisky tail. She’s almost 9 months now. Even though the hair on her body grows like wild fire, the tail hair growth has always been much slower. That being said, it did grow relatively long and now she has a lion tail but the hair is still thin.
I think this will change when cost change finally reaches her tail hair so you shouldn’t be worried. It’ll grow in time.

I’ve attached two photos of her new lion tail cut and one with her tail before the cut when we were letting the hair grow.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,473 Posts
What a gorgeous pup! Poppy (red toy) has had thin hair on her tail all her life. I can make it look thicker by cutting it fairly short, but usually just go for a flag rather than a pompom ball - it seems to work better on a natural, undocked tail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What a gorgeous pup! Poppy (red toy) has had thin hair on her tail all her life. I can make it look thicker by cutting it fairly short, but usually just go for a flag rather than a pompom ball - it seems to work better on a natural, undocked tail.
Why thank you :)
That is true.. Your right, a different tail style would work better since he does have a natural undocked tail.

Thanks for your post.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is now! My poodle has had quite the whisky tail. She’s almost 9 months now. Even though the hair on her body grows like wild fire, the tail hair growth has always been much slower. That being said, it did grow relatively long and now she has a lion tail but the hair is still thin.
I think this will change when cost change finally reaches her tail hair so you shouldn’t be worried. It’ll grow in time.

I’ve attached two photos of her new lion tail cut and one with her tail before the cut when we were letting the hair grow.
Cute dog !
Okay thanks. Ill wait patiently for the hair to grow longer. Right now there aint much to work with haha.

·
Registered
351 Posts
My standard had this scraggly rat tail for the longest time! I found it did look better when the base of the tail was shaved though. This was at 5 months:

At 7 months now I have seen improvement, even though it's not yet up to poof ball or even flag tail status yet lol! He also has a natural tail so I am hoping for a flag tail eventually

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
The coat does change and become thicker, but some poodles never develop the thicker courser hair that creates a thick tail. It's all in genetics. Your best bet is to look at your pup's parents and see what their fur was like.

·
Super Moderator
1,461 Posts
My Snarky had an undocked tail that curled like your pup's does. (I used to joke it made him look like a teapot.) He looked adorable when we shaved most of the tail, leaving just a tassel at the end. His tail would go into almost a complete circle when he was excited. He would trot along with the tassel swinging merrily in time to his hip movement.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Welcome!
Your boy is super cute! I love red poodles they are so stunning to look at.

About the tail.
Firstly hair on the tail seems to grow much slower than the rest of the body. An example would be that it took about eight months for Evie to have three inches of hair on her tail. In a year Evie would have about eight to ten inches of hair on her body with slight trimming here and there. Secondly some poodles seem to have much more wavy fur than others. My first poodle felt soft and silky all her life. It really does just depend on genetics. Third: When you have an undocked tail it tends to be much harder to make it into a ball because the hair on the tail is facing down instead of up, also because poodles with undocked tails make a little circle with their tails often. You might try googling a Portuguese Water Dogs tail. They have almost like a golden type wavy fan tail. That is what I did not my first poodle and it looked cute.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts