Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy is shedding! I know they're not supposed to shed, so whats going on? Is there something wrong with him? He did have a different coat then his litter mates. It was coarse and wirey, and much shorter then the rest. He has papers, so is it possible he is not a pure poodle? Is there some kind of genetic issue that could cause this? He doesn't have bald spots or anything, but after playing on the bed, you can see all these little brown hairs. His skin looks ok, but he does have a few little bumps here and there. They look like skin colored moles I guess. Does anyone know whats wrong? Help!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hmmm...I am no expert by any means. How old is he? Could he be "blowing his coat" and getting his adult coat?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess there is the chance. The dad was a stud. If another dog got in somehow.....it's possible i guess.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Yeah, if mom was outside going potty for a bit or whatever, maybe an intact lab was nearby or something and tagged her and you're the only one that got that pup?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Is anyone an allergy sufferer? I would be pretty disappointed to have a poodle shedding that much, people purchase poodles in many cases for the low to no shedding. I would contact the breeder.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well if he is a mix, I'll be disappointed of course, but he is such a wonderful dog that it wouldn't really matter. I worry more that he may have SA. Does anyone know anything about that?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I would get him in to see the vet as soon as possible. Only they can tell you for sure what's going on with your dog's skin and hair. Good luck! I hope it's nothing serious.

As for him being a mix, I would be more than disappointed--you've been defrauded if you were under the impression that you were buying a purebred poodle. I would go back to the breeder and ask for at least a partial refund. Tell them you're willing to keep the dog, but you don't feel like you should have paid full price for him.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Did the pup just get groomed? Sometimes little short hair bits remain in the coat and you'll notice them on the sheets, etc.

It iis absolutely impossible that a purebred 12 wk old puppy would shed a single hair. Fleas cause scratching and the toenails could be pulling hairs out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did have him groomed about a week ago, maybe thats is. I don't know though. I'm really starting to question if he is all poodle. It's not just that his coat has a different texture, its also got that sort of greasy feel and doggy smell to it, that the other poodle i have, and the one's i have seen just don't have.
Can I get a DNA test from my vet, or do I have to go somewhere special?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anyone know anything about Sebaceous Adenitis? I know it's a genetic skin thing that can cause the hair to thin and fall out, and it causes some scaling. Does anyone know more? Should I have him tested for that? He has an appointment on Thursday....

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
SA generally doesn't manifest itself till after age 2 and sometimes not until old age....but heck it could be anything. the test for SA is kinda painful and they sedate the dog for it,,,send the samples away and then you get results. Not an instanteous diagnosis. I would ask the breeder what vet she uses and ask that vet if they've seen any of her dogs come in for weird skin disorders like you're describing.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Sounds like he's either stressed or maybe has an allergy to his food or something. That would be the first two things I would eliminate before putting him through painful testing at that age.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had no idea how invasive that test was! It sounds awful. I may just be paranoid. I just want so much for him to be healthy. He is such a sweet boy, and we all love him so much.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Poodle puppies don't shed at all??

Panda sheds a very small amount, I mean I see 3-4 hairs on me after I have been cuddling him, there are normally a few again 3-4 on the sofa but nothing comes out when you stroke him and there are no hairs on the floor.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Jager doesn't shed at all. The only time I find hairs is a few in the brush after I brush him. Otherwise, no hair on me, the couch, the floor, etc.

·
Registered
768 Posts
hmm, When I brush Panda I have to use a comb to get the hair out of the slicker, there is normally about 1/2- 1 tablespoon of hair (weird measurement i know)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts