Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just browsing Craigslist - Mainly to see if my comment about responsible breeders had been flagged yet or not and I came accross an ad for a 7 month old male standard poodle puppy who needs to be rehomed. Now there are not very many standard poodle puppies around here and he is the same age as my Cash. There was a phone # to call or text so since I am at work I texted - Oh, umm yeah, I'm on break - I hope to hear back from the people soon. I really hope it is not his brother because I would like to think that they all got forever homes the first time, and if it is it will kill me not to go see him and my husband would kill me (ok, not literally) if I did go see him. Ugg, hopefully they won't make me wait too long for a response!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
What will you do when you go see him? Are you considering taking him home?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know. I need to find out more first, I guess. I really can't take another dog, but I can't let his brother just sit out there without a home that wants him. The ad did make it sound like they are being picky about where he goes and sounds like they have taken care of him pretty well so far. They said he eats wellness and gets groomed every two weeks. Maybe I shouldn't worry so much there are alot of other people out there who can make sure a dog goes to a good home. I guess I'll have to wait to see what I find out.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I don't know. I need to find out more first, I guess. I really can't take another dog, but I can't let his brother just sit out there without a home that wants him. The ad did make it sound like they are being picky about where he goes and sounds like they have taken care of him pretty well so far. They said he eats wellness and gets groomed every two weeks. Maybe I shouldn't worry so much there are alot of other people out there who can make sure a dog goes to a good home. I guess I'll have to wait to see what I find out.
Yeah, I was putting myself in this situation as I read your post and I KNOW I would bring him home.......I know your considering a mini down the road ;) But if you can handle it, go and see what the situation is and maybe you could rehome him........IDK. Thats a toughy:doh:

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I agree I would have a hard time not bringing him home as well Craigs List ?
I was under the impression that selling animals on there was a nono. So is Craigs list like Kijjijji ? I have never been on there if you can imagine that....

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Technically Selling is a No-No, but almost everyone has a "re-homing fee" they range anywhere from $25-$1000, so it is really like selling. I think that, like possibly in this case, someone bought a spoodle from a BYB, because of ignorance and is now rehoming it on Craigs list because of ignorance. They may not even realize that there are better avenues of re-homing a dog than craigs list.

What kills me is the ones who want their purchase price plus the cost of any vet care and food that they put into the animal back in their re-homing fee. Uh, oh, I feel a rant towards Craigs list coming on, I'd better quit now! lol

It's just I know what an awesome temperment Cash has and I can't imagine another "Cash" out there with all that love to give and no one to give it to.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I did see after posting this question that someone did liken Kijjiji to Craigs list.
That is just so sad ! Please keep us posted Cash !

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
What kills me is the ones who want their purchase price plus the cost of any vet care and food that they put into the animal back in their re-homing fee. Uh, oh, I feel a rant towards Craigs list coming on, I'd better quit now! lol.
Yeah, that really bothers me (for Kijiji, not Craigslist). The Craigslist in my area is really strict about rehoming fees. If it's more than about $100 then the ad gets flagged and pulled.

Anyway, the other day I was interested in a dog that was being rehomed. I spoke to the woman and she said she was older and her husband brought home a puppy without checking with her first 4 months ago and they are finding it exhausting. I do understand their position, puppies are very hard work especially if it isn't something you even wanted in the first place. But then she was asking $550 for the dog, because he's had all his vaccinations and been neutered! I just said I wasn't comfortable paying that much for a rehomed dog and $200 to $250 was my limit as that's as much as I'd pay for a rescue. And so the dog will go elsewhere. I just don't think people who are giving up their pets should get all their money back for doing so. Maybe if it hits their wallet a little, they'll be more responsible next time!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Oh and on this situation do let us know what you find out. Hopefully if it is his brother, you can talk to the people and be reassured that they will find a good home for the dog. :) My friend rehomed a dog via Kijiji, and the dog ended up in a far better situataion than it had with her with another dog in the home and a family who adores her. They even sent an update 6 months later saying how wonderful the dog was and how happy they were to be her new home.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Yeah, that really bothers me (for Kijiji, not Craigslist). The Craigslist in my area is really strict about rehoming fees. If it's more than about $100 then the ad gets flagged and pulled.

Anyway, the other day I was interested in a dog that was being rehomed. I spoke to the woman and she said she was older and her husband brought home a puppy without checking with her first 4 months ago and they are finding it exhausting. I do understand their position, puppies are very hard work especially if it isn't something you even wanted in the first place. But then she was asking $550 for the dog, because he's had all his vaccinations and been neutered! I just said I wasn't comfortable paying that much for a rehomed dog and $200 to $250 was my limit as that's as much as I'd pay for a rescue. And so the dog will go elsewhere. I just don't think people who are giving up their pets should get all their money back for doing so. Maybe if it hits their wallet a little, they'll be more responsible next time!
Very well said! If I adopt a dog from the Humane Society it's $75 and that includes spay/neuter and all vaccinations. Plus it's tax deductable. Why should an irresponsible owner get more? (I honestly would pay a bit more but not hundreds.) With a breeder you get health records, tested parents and titles. Not to mention someone (a knowledgable person) who will answer questions when you have them.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Please do keep us posted it would be awful to see one of my dogs brothers or sisters in that situation and I know that if at all possible I'd bring him/her home too.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Same here, if the fee is more than about 100 bucks the add gets flagged, some slip through but most dont. People try and get around the no selling thing by listing pets for sale in other areas of craigslist like home/garden where a lot of people sell chickens and stuff. You find dogs and cats and other pet animals for sell a lot there but there are a lot of people here with to much time on their hands who watch the list pretty close and are really happy to flag anything and everything they can. I suppose we should be grateful to them :) I'm not allowed to look on craigslist anymore, petfinder either hubby's new rule lol. We actualy found Jazz on Craigslist and yeah I'll admit they were selling her, if I hadn't just happened to be online at that moment I would never have seen here. The lady told me I replied less than five minutes after she posted the add and about an hour later it was flagged and removed because she said she was asking 200 dollars for her. I'd have paid two or three times that for Jazz now that I know her... and ended up paying closer to 350 once we sprung her from the shelter three days after adopting her (she had a dumb blonde bad dog moment and took off).

Cash I can't wait to here if you get a response. I completely understand what is going through your mind. If I ever ran across a Saleen sibling on something like craigslist you can bet I would be all over that. Which is probably why Im not allowed to browse anymore.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
$1000 re-homing fee!! Yeah, that is really suspicious, isn't it? Some people will try anything to get around the rules.

I hope that this poor boy finds his good, forever home soon. I wouldn't want to be in your situation. If I brought another spoo home right now, I might find myself and them sleeping in the streets!! :scared:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hadn't received a response to my text so I just e-mailed her. He is still available and I am waiting on answers to my questions on him.
Will post as soon as I get the response!

Spoospirit - Yeah, we had a guy boasting about how he didn't care how much people flagged him he would sell his pit bull puppies on Craigs list and make a lot of $$ and he didn't care about anything else. It was really sad!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, hey and you know how I said there weren't many spoo's around. Well go figure last night when I was looking through the paper I see two males advertised in the local trader paper, one two months old and one five months old, $250 and $350 respectively. Go figure.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I hadn't received a response to my text so I just e-mailed her. He is still available and I am waiting on answers to my questions on him.
Will post as soon as I get the response!

Spoospirit - Yeah, we had a guy boasting about how he didn't care how much people flagged him he would sell his pit bull puppies on Craigs list and make a lot of $$ and he didn't care about anything else. It was really sad!
Do you think people buy these dogs and attempt to sell them at a higher price?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
$1000 re-homing fee!! Yeah, that is really suspicious, isn't it? Some people will try anything to get around the rules.

I hope that this poor boy finds his good, forever home soon. I wouldn't want to be in your situation. If I brought another spoo home right now, I might find myself and them sleeping in the streets!! :scared:
Lol! Me too. I am cut off!!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you think people buy these dogs and attempt to sell them at a higher price?
I'm sure some do. Iowa/Missouri are HUGE for puppy mills and brokers. I had an amish guy see the boxer bitch we used to have a long time ago and he kept commenting that she was a REALLY REALLY nice boxer and when were we going to breed her. I said well, we're not, she is spayed and we got her from a boxer rescue. He said that it was such a waste of a nice dog. He also said it is just natural to let dogs breed and people shouldn't stop them from being able to do so.. All I kept seeing was her bad bite and poor structure....

I called on a great dane (Dane's have a special place in my heart!) once time and the lady wanted $450 to rehome her adult dane - 4-5 years old. You know these people aren't interested in the home for the dog, just the $$.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, I don't think it is his brother, from the info I am getting, but he sounds like a nice dog. He goes to doggie day care during the day, is groomed every two weeks, not registered, good with kids and other animals as far as they know. She says he is silver. $175.00 and you get everything that goes with him...??? food, crate, toys, etc....??? I'm waiting for a picture, but from the sounds of it I don't think I will go see him. I think he is in good hands right now and that she will find him a good home. We'll see though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts