Poodle Forum banner

my poodle keeps humping on my leg

6K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  spoospirit 
#1 ·
my minipoo has a habit of humping to peoples legs imagining it was a girly poo. Is that a bad thing? or natural behavior if it's bad please help me solve it.. thanks

#3 ·
my sister, Jester's Mom, had this problem with her little one too. He kept mounting the Standards anywhere he could. It took a while but she finally made his stop and he doesn't do it anymore. She would take him away an discipline him for it.

Maybe she will see this post and tell you herself how she did it.

#4 ·
How old is your dog?

It is primarily a display of trying to get dominance in the pack.

Dogs who have not been neutered do it more than those who are.

A neutered dog will still do it if it needs to dominate another dog but once they are neutered, after their body chemistry clears out their high hormonal levels....they tend to stop doing it to people.

HTH

#11 ·

I need to make a retraction. I said that Jester's mom 'disciplines' Jester and that really was the wrong choice of word. She does just as she explained above. She takes him away, tells him "no" and then distracts him with something else. I don't want to give anyone the wrong idea by using such a strong word as that! My apologies.

#6 ·
Jester used to do this too, not to me but to our standard poos and the cat...lol. It is definitely a dominance thing. I think he felt that he was small so he had to prove himself the "top dog".. lol. I would tell him "off" or "leave it" and then when he got off and sat looking at me (always with his perky eyes and ears like he was saying "What? I'm too cute to do anything wrong!") I would praise him for staying off the other dog (or cat). If he was on lead and we were out walking somewhere, I would take him away from the other dog and make him sit quietly for a few seconds then praise him for doing so. I did get him neutered, but that did not stop him doing this. Just having him get off and then praising him for staying off and he no longer does it.

I don't know about your guy, but Jester has that innocent look down pat!! LOL. He gives me that innocent look, like if I catch him chewing on something he shouldn't be or trying to get into one of the other dogs dishes since he eats his fast and hopes to get some of theirs. I say, "Jester, leave it" and he turns around, sits and looks at me with those innocent eyes and and expression on his face like he would NEVER do anything he shouldn't..lol His name, Court Jester, fits him to a tee... he is the comedian and instigator of the family. :)

#7 ·
Awww.. it's a natural instinct. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you are a bit embarrassed about it. Personally, I don't think it's a bad thing but then again, to each their own. I gave my Snoops a teddy bear who is now his "girl friend". They have a little dance together every now and again and he humps on the bear and leaves everything else alone. Mind you, he has been trying to hump his sister Socks lately. She is much bigger and taller than Snoops and he only reaches up to about her thigh. LOL, it's hilarious to watch!
But I feel better letting him exercise his natural urges rather than scold him for it. He just does it for a few seconds then stops (it's not like he goes "all the way", if you know what I mean... ) :thinking:

#8 ·
It isn't always a dominace behavior but I won't go into detail because I'll be late for work lol. To stop the behavior you need to remove the reward in it. In the case of leg humping getting to go at your leg is self rewarding so you have to get up and walk away. The dog will learn that you leave if he displays this behavior on your leg and will stop. Be careful not to step on or kick the pup when you get up and leave.

#9 ·
Definately a dominance issue. My young bitch is always doing it to me and the other dogs here. When she tries on me, I just use the word "bah" or "no". At times I do what wonderpup does and just walk away, she doesnt do it as much as she use to.

Desex hasnt always got anything to do with it. My friend had his bitch desexed at 4 mths. She is now 6 yrs and still does it on his leg. Doubt she will stop cause he thinks its funny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.