Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been posts about this but here’s another thread addressing the belief that poodles are mean. At the library where I work I had regular patron stop and ask me today about my dog. He knew I had gotten a pup a couple years ago but that’s about it. He wanted to know more about my “new” dog and of course asked me the breed. Asked me if I had the larger sized poodle. After I told him he said, “poodles are mean.” So of course, I was a great ambassador for poodles and shared what a wonderful sweet boy Bobby is. Not sure I convinced him though. Poodles get such an undeserved bad rap sometimes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think that (some) people can find something negative to say about pretty much every breed.

Personally, after a bite from a very nasty Chow Chow, and having met more than one with a sketchy temperament back when I worked for a vet, I'm leery of them in general. However, one of the friendliest dogs I ever met was a Chow Chow.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I wonder where they get such an idea, Prissy maybe.. but mean? what is with people..

Reactions: eeeeeek

·
Super Moderator
7,952 Posts
What what a weird (and rather rude) thing to say to a poodle owner.

To be honest, I’ve known some pretty nasty poodles, one of whom gave me my first—and so far only, knock on wood!—dog bite. But getting to know Peggy on such a deep level has provided me with some retrospective insights into those dogs. I think nurture can easily overwhelm the poodle’s pacifist nature, especially when people purchase them as showpieces or teddy bears rather than living, breathing, sensitive, communicative canines with their own wants and needs.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I know there have been posts about this but here’s another thread addressing the belief that poodles are mean. At the library where I work I had regular patron stop and ask me today about my dog. He knew I had gotten a pup a couple years ago but that’s about it. He wanted to know more about my “new” dog and of course asked me the breed. Asked me if I had the larger sized poodle. After I told him he said, “poodles are mean.” So of course, I was a great ambassador for poodles and shared what a wonderful sweet boy Bobby is. Not sure I convinced him though. Poodles get such an undeserved bad rap sometimes.
I'm wondering why he thought poodles were mean. I wasn't aware that negative perceptions of poodles were common, except for the thought that they're "frou-frou" dogs.

·
Super Moderator
2,269 Posts
I've encountered quite a few people who think poodles are ill-tempered. I'm sure some of these people had experiences like PtP mentioned: a nervous dog snapped at someone who wasn't reading the body language.

I think it may also have to do with poodle play styles. Pogo got his name because he would enthusiastically jump up and down when excited. Galen is just as bouncy, but he adds barking and air snapping to the jumping. The air snap is actually a suppressed bark, not a suppressed bite. Someone who doesn't know him might think he's aggressive, when in fact he's just excitable.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
The only mean poodle I have ever known was a spoiled rotten toy. I had volunteered to help out a friend who owned a grooming shop when her assistant took a vacation. This lady brought in a pretty black toy poodle to be groomed. The shop owner warned me to be careful. Sure enough, getting her out of the cage was a tricky business. She was fine about being clipped. Then it was time to comb out her ears - she turned into a little fiend! I finally got all the snarls out of her ears, though. When the lady came to pick her up, she said, "Oh, I forgot to tell you to shave her ears down because they mat so badly!" Grrrrrrrrr. . .

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for letting me vent everyone! I actually wasn’t particularly offended as I have heard many things over many years working at the public library. It is amazing what people will say! One could write a book. LOL! I was just a bit surprised by the patron’s blanket comment that poodles are mean. I’m guessing there are “mean” exceptions to almost any breed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts