Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Cleo, now 10, has had some surgeries and a near death incident. She ate my sons gym bag (there were Cheetos in it) and then in her discomfort ate other non food items like socks and hair bands. She had surgery to remove the items ... then they discovered cancer in her toe. Her nail kept falling out. I took her for a bath and groom today ... it has been awhile since she has not been well. We are so happy to still have her with us. She is our first ever standard poodle, a beautiful wonderful dog. Just thankful for her

·
Registered
123 Posts
That's good to hear!

Both of my late black poodles lost a toe to toe cancer. It didn't seem to bother them much though.

·
Registered
12,475 Posts
She looks very comfortable - hope you now have peaceful times ahead.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's good to hear!

Both of my late black poodles lost a toe to toe cancer. It didn't seem to bother them much though.
Our vet says that black poodles are more susceptible...odd huh?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Sounds very scary, and I am glad she is doing better! I can think back to incidents regarding food and packaging with my first two dogs, and we were very, very lucky nothing serious happened to them. Hope Cleo has many happy years to come. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Our vet says that black poodles are more susceptible...odd huh?
90-some percent of toe cancers are older, large breed, black dogs (and Rottweilers even though they have brown toes!) . Both of my girls were black as well as being half-sisters. One was eleven and the other thirteen when the symptoms showed up. One of the vet techs told me she had had two black labs who had the same problem. OTOH, my husband's friend had a medium sized, mixed breed, five year old, brown dog who developed toe cancer and then had to be put down for a different cancer two years later.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Glad to hear that Cleo is doing well, and I'm sorry she had all those troubles but at least they are now behind you. She is a beauty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts