Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
she's 7 months old and i just adopted her two days ago. she doesn't eat out of her bowl, but she will eat a few pieces at a time out of your hand. also, she wont eat her old food (eukanuba puppy small breed dry formula), but she will eat this blue buffalo puppy food. is this common for a puppy in a new environment?

·
Registered
912 Posts
I second what Mom said :smile: Stop hand feeding her if she is hungry she will eat. Try putting out a mixture of the two, just a small amount, put it down for 10 minutes and leave her to it, preferably where your going to feed her from now on. What ever she doesn't eat in 10 minutes take up and put down again later.

I am still feeding T three times a day but he is only 6 months old. We have done this with his raw food ever since we introduced it, he now gets 20 minutes so he doesn't guts it, but he knows if he doesn't eat when it's presented it will be removed and the same thing will go down again midway through the day - not something else more palatable, just the same thing he was offered at breakfast time. It might be a fresh batch if it's meat or offal but it'll be the same ingredients.

Works for us, he is not a fussy eater as he has been introduced to many different types of foods. He has dry food down during the day because it is not always possible for me to get home for his lunch time feed but he doesn't guts it so I don't mind leaving him with ad lib food and he is not getting fat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Starz, I don't know if you have a history with poodles, so I hope I don't offend if I'm telling you something you already know but -- poodles are SMART. I'm not surprised your new pup prefers one food over another. They have very discriminating tastes. I would just feed her what she is telling you she prefers. My Pixie loves the Iams kibble in the green bag, but it HAS to be mixed with those Gainesburger cheeseburger bags. We were on a trip several years ago & I had forgotten to pack dog food. The only thing they had at the gas station/food mart where we were that wasn't canned food was the Gainesburgers... I've had to mix them in ever since... Hahaha...

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Not to mention Blue Buffalo is a better quality food then the Eucanuba (sp). I guess it works out that she would rather eat the better food. lol

·
Registered
912 Posts
Starz, I don't know if you have a history with poodles, so I hope I don't offend if I'm telling you something you already know but -- poodles are SMART. I'm not surprised your new pup prefers one food over another. They have very discriminating tastes. I would just feed her what she is telling you she prefers. My Pixie loves the Iams kibble in the green bag, but it HAS to be mixed with those Gainesburger cheeseburger bags. We were on a trip several years ago & I had forgotten to pack dog food. The only thing they had at the gas station/food mart where we were that wasn't canned food was the Gainesburgers... I've had to mix them in ever since... Hahaha...

You should feed what's best for her not necessarily what she chooses! You are the human and the dog should eat what she is given. Sorry if this sounds harsh but really don't start pandering to your pup and only feeding specific food that she prefers, you will end up with an extremely fussy dog that may prefer an unbalanced diet, then what? You just go on feeding it to her cause that's what she likes! Train your pup now to eat a variety of foods or at the very least the food you have made an educated decision about feeding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts