Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this. My spoo, Nigel is 8 months old. I got him at 4 months old and he was neutered 2 weeks ago.

I own a pet spa/boutique. Nigel has come with to the store almost daily since I got him, so he is very well socialized. I also have two giant schnauzers, and all dogs get along great.

From the first time Nigel met a boxer in my store he barked, growled and lunged. He also exhibits this behavior with bulldogs, mastiffs, bullmastiffs, etc.

He is fine with all furry dogs, smaller dogs, bigger dogs, labs, goldens.
Just really reactive with bully type dogs, with underbite type faces.
Doesn't seem to mind pits, rotties, dobes.

My store has a self-serve wash so all types of dogs are in & out. Many of my regular dog food customers have these types of dogs and bring them in shopping.

Anyone ever have this issue? I'm really curious if others have had this happen with their spoo. He never had interaction with these breeds prior to becoming mine.

I am trying positive reinforcement techniques, have clicker trained all of my dogs.

He will be taking a training class soon, but really is already well trained and well socialized.

Help!

Kathy & Nigel

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I'm pretty interested to see what someone has to say about that

I know Elphie has an aversion to little dogs and cats
like she blatantly refuses to play with scooter our shih tzu
but she'll snuggle up to him on the couch and same with our cat Kiska, she will just look at him like hes annoying her but if hes laying somewhere she'll wrap herself around him almost motherly

I thought it was maybe just at our home but at the park and on walks she'll steer clear of anything smaller than her but the ones bigger or the same size she'll be right there wanting to play with them

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Well there is something about these bully breeds that he finds off-putting. Who knows what it is.

The bigger question for me is why Nigel gets to decide who he likes and does like. In my opinion, if he acts agressively to certain dogs, who have not provocted him, then he should be corrected and told to shape up and mind his manners. It just seems rude.

I come at this from the other side. My Sabrina got nailed once on a trail when we were passing by another dog. The owner simply shrugged and said, "Oh my dog doesn't like Poodles." HUH?!?! Thanks, Dude. :rolffleyes:

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
How do you feel about the dogs he is doing this too? Do you like or dislike the bully breeds?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Harley has an aversion to Chihuahuas but considering he's had contact w/ so many nasty ones, I don't blame him. He usually tries to keep me inbetween the Chi and himself, no growling or anything like that.

Maybe the breeds you mentioned breathe funny? I know Boxers and Bull Mastiffs are brachycephalic. Either way I agree w/ Cbrand, work on socializing him w/ those breeds.

Good luck and Harley is happy Nigel likes Rotties, lol.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Cbrand,

I do agree that it isn't his decision...I would never let him nail anyone. He is kept tethered by me at the counter, doesn't roam around the store. I would really like to have him stop the reactive behavior. The entire store front is windows so I do see who is coming in, if it's a bully breed, he is restrained behind the counter and reprimanded verbally if he is reactive or rewarded if quiet & composed.

I was quite surprised the first time this happened, it was a lovely female boxer only 1 year old who is also very well socalized. She play bowed at him and it set him off.

I am very much a dog person and think most folks who visit dog parks don't understand body language or how to properly control their dogs. I don't go to public off leash places with my giant's because they don't want to play with other "strange" dogs. Neither are dog aggressive, just not playful, very aloof. I don't want my customers to be offended by Nigels behavior. Some of the customers are very dog savvy, others are clueless.

I've owned dogs my entire life, all intelligent thinking breeds. I've never seen this behavior with any other dog. It's interesting....

Kathy

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
My Sabrina got nailed once on a trail when we were passing by another dog. The owner simply shrugged and said, "Oh my dog doesn't like Poodles." HUH?!?! Thanks, Dude. :rolffleyes:
o.o
"my dog doesn't like poodles"...must be some weird mutant thing not likin poodles and what not
-mumbles some more-

thankfully Elphaba hasn't shown any sign of aggression towards the little dogs or cats

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How do you feel about the dogs he is doing this too? Do you like or dislike the bully breeds?

Oh heck no! I really appreciate every breed. I'm a walking dog encyclopedia.
I can name just about every breed on sight and know all my regular customers by name.

I showed my giants in conformation and have entertained the thought of owning so many different breeds over the years. Zero dog prejudice here.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe the breeds you mentioned breathe funny? I know Boxers and Bull Mastiffs are brachycephalic. Either way I agree w/ Cbrand, work on socializing him w/ those breeds.

Good luck and Harley is happy Nigel likes Rotties, lol.
Harley you might be onto something there! Maybe he does sense the breathing is different so he doesn't understand they are dogs????? Or thinks they are sick and wants to cull them, like in nature.

I know it's not the size, color, length of hair etc. He has no problem with pits, labs, really any dog with regular jaw. Now I hope someone comes in with a pug, for example. I don't recall him meeting a pug yet but if he is reactive then I bet it is the breathing.

I love Rotties. We do fundraisers for Recycled Rotts at my store. They are such sweet dogs. Groomed a big handsome guy named Bruno yesterday.

Thanks for the possible explanation.

Kathy

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Who really knows what goes on in their little heads? Teddy reacts aggressively toward garbage bags, especially white ones on the sidewalk, and I know for a fact he has never been attacked by one. :D

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I think Nigel is very beautiful.....I also have 2 (well, really 1 parti) I think my parti's are much more alloof. My male is especially protective. his daughter is spastic and clingy around new dogs. None of my solid poodles are at all like that. I think they carry a retard gene. So I just wonder if its little Nigel. How are the giants?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Ok... It sounds like you are on top of it. I sort of got the impression that he was not being corrected for the behavior.

Once he is corrected, does he settle or is he constantly sort of looking to get a dig in? Can he focus on you with these dogs in close proximity? I would not push it by forcing the issue (making him go up to Bully Breeds or get close to them) but if gets out of hand, I would make your displeasure very clear.

Also, since you can see who is coming, I wonder if he is feeding off of your worry. You see approaching Bully Breed... you get anxious and start prepping...this travels down the leash.

Maybe Nigel is having trouble reading the facial clues on these flat faced dogs.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Also, since you can see who is coming, I wonder if he is feeding off of your worry. You see approaching Bully Breed... you get anxious and start prepping...this travels down the leash.
That's exactly what I was thinking after reading about the shop window.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
My boxer brings the worst out in dogs. lol. I don't know why, but as soon as a lot of dogs see her they're at the end of their leashes and she's just all "._. my bad"

I've noticed compeltely different reactions with Vegas.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Maybe the dogs are imposing to him so he will feign aggression to back them up because he's nervous around them. Most of those breeds are very muscular and intimidating looking although most boxers are sweeties. I too have an appreciation for all dogs but there are breeds that I just don't like the look of, breeds that annoy me, breeds that intimidate me, and breeds I adore when I see them. Whether you think you are doing it or not, you might give off tension with those bully breeds and he's sensing it or like I said they are making him feel intimiated and he's bucking up to try to be on top.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts

Maybe Nigel is having trouble reading the facial clues on these flat faced dogs.
This is why I asked about your feeling of these dogs. I agree with this. I can see this in myself on a walk we did a while back with all dogs (that got goofy)- I know my anxiety went up although I initially thought it was just my dog - but looking back, I believe my dog was picking up on my worry also.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Who really knows what goes on in their little heads? Teddy reacts aggressively toward garbage bags, especially white ones on the sidewalk, and I know for a fact he has never been attacked by one. :D

Very Funny!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think Nigel is very beautiful.....I also have 2 (well, really 1 parti) I think my parti's are much more alloof. My male is especially protective. his daughter is spastic and clingy around new dogs. None of my solid poodles are at all like that. I think they carry a retard gene. So I just wonder if its little Nigel. How are the giants?
Thanks for the compliment. I really need to post some pics of him. My avatar is from the day I got him. There are a few pics of him on my stores facebook page, just google search: All Things Woof and look at the album "owners doggies".

Interesting...having never had a solid I can't compare, but I can say that he really is a very happy go lucky guy. My giants are barkers in the yard or at my front window and Nigel runs to me for comfort. He wants no part of whatever they are barking at.

My male giant Gus comes to the store alot and he is completely non-confrontational. If a dog gets in his face he runs to the backroom.
He absolutely loves people and lives to be the center of human attention. Riley stays home cause she is a barking maniac, but not dog aggressive. Just too much management for me to worry about all day.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok... It sounds like you are on top of it. I sort of got the impression that he was not being corrected for the behavior.

[Once he is corrected, does he settle or is he constantly sort of looking to get a dig in? Can he focus on you with these dogs in close proximity? I would not push it by forcing the issue (making him go up to Bully Breeds or get close to them) but if gets out of hand, I would make your displeasure very clear.]

He is verbally reprimanded(A loud & stern"Knock it off") made to lie down in his bed and someone stands on the leash so he can't leap back up, he does settle but remains on high alert til the dog in question is out of his sight.

[Also, since you can see who is coming, I wonder if he is feeding off of your worry. You see approaching Bully Breed... you get anxious and start prepping...this travels down the leash.]

You may have something here. I know I've started to stress a bit when I see these dogs coming because I know Nigel will react & it's embarassing to a degree. I'll work on that.

[Maybe Nigel is having trouble reading the facial clues on these flat faced dogs.
Could be true. The first time he had an issue was with a young female boxer who gave him a playbow. They were both on leash & she is very sweet and well trained. This was the first week I had him and he had been fine with every other dog he met.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe the dogs are imposing to him so he will feign aggression to back them up because he's nervous around them. Most of those breeds are very muscular and intimidating looking although most boxers are sweeties. I too have an appreciation for all dogs but there are breeds that I just don't like the look of, breeds that annoy me, breeds that intimidate me, and breeds I adore when I see them. Whether you think you are doing it or not, you might give off tension with those bully breeds and he's sensing it or like I said they are making him feel intimiated and he's bucking up to try to be on top.
Definately no tension from me. I had an Amstaff and really think all those types of dogs are big mushes. Also these dogs & owners are regular customers so I know both very well. Have watched some grow up from puppies.

You could be right, perhaps he is intimidated so he is showing fear aggression.
I will continue to work on his attitude. Thanks for your input!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts