Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont' know what to do with this dog - he is such a problem.Its not that he doesn't listen when you correct him - he doesn't seem to remember what he's not supposed to do and after two years I would think he would. He tries to run ahead of everyone - including me - and will knock you right over to get there - I make him walk behind me and keep my arms out so he can't pass - lately if I have something in my hand - it doesn't even have to be food - he will jump up on his hind legs and try to snatch it out of my hand - he is out of control again - oh they are all barking now have to get them in -
anyway they come in and the rug is on its end just from him running in - he runs everywhere - he is soooo hyper oh! I just had to put him in the crate for bothering the little ones. he is incorrigible! The others are all afraid of him - even Ginger. He was good for a while but now he is back to his crazy self. He almost knocked over my daughter the other day and he is constantly knolcking into me. He just doesn't seem to respond to correction. There is this blank look in his eyes. I think he may be brain damaged - I dunno help!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Gosh, I wish I had some suggestions that would help....Have you tried Professional training?? I hope you are able to correct the problem behavior seems like you are at your wits end. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a professional trainer for Ginger which helped a lot but Teddy doesn't seem to retain anything. He is just so excited. when I tell him sit he does but his tail is wagging furiously all the while and he looks like he is ready to fly!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I had a professional trainer for Ginger which helped a lot but Teddy doesn't seem to retain anything. He is just so excited. when I tell him sit he does but his tail is wagging furiously all the while and he looks like he is ready to fly!
Lol, like an ADHD poodle lol....I know a few like that. Do you have a treadmill? Mabey try having him trot on that for a bit? Play dates? Swimming? Just about anything to drain some energy? Man, I wish I could help....

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NO AGILITY - I AM TOO OLD AN CRIPPLED LOL tried the tread mill but it hurt my shoulder to keep him on - I let him run around the pool and Ginger has a fit cause she's not allowed - she will run across the street - about the only thing he does right is not run away -(too bad ha ha kidding) Playdate - can't trust him - he goes after other dogs just lately. My son's finance brings her dog on weekends and its a female so I though that Ginger would be the one not to accept her but they love each other - Teddy is ok sometime but all of a sudden he will go for her and that scares me because she is part pittbull and he won't stand a chance if she fights back - not that he wont deserve it. He is just getting so weird lately - like he all of a sudden thinks he is the alpha male or something and yet he is submissive too. Very strange -

·
Registered
335 Posts
Does he get the same amount and quality of attention as your other dog? Maybe it has something to do with his diet-has it changed at all? Just thought that it could be similar as to what happens to kids when they are lacking something in their nutrition or become allergic to something. Just offering suggestions of things to try.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh he makes sure he gets the same attenton lol - yes I give him the same - even though my heart belongs to Ginger ha ha - no I love them all really. he eats the same food - gets the same treats etc. He's just like a big puppy - I can't explain it any other way. He went after Midnight again tonite - I don't know why he is doing this - jealous I think - she is afraid of him and she went for him and scared him but then later he does it again. she went after ginger too - and she is scared of her lol what a horror! lol

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the suggestions though - I really wonder if he is developmentally disabled.

·
Registered
335 Posts
That would drive me crazy, too...we are still working with keeping some semblance of order in the house when our German Shepherd and our mini-poodle are together...when the little one gets up the big one has to go after him. And my husband has learned this loud growling thing from the trainer-drives me nuts!!! this one trainer says that they don't understand words-well I am not going to go around growling all day-I would get a sore throat.

·
Registered
843 Posts
How old is Teddy,Pamela?
Maybe he is just trying to get rid of some excess energy.
What kind of excercise do the pups get?
I don't think that there is anything wrong with his brain...you just need to remind him how to behave and be consistent.
Make sure he knows what is being asked of him.
Is he food motivated?
Maybe an obedience class would be good for him...they could correct his attacking other dogs there.
Gunther is going through second puberty now at 19 months and drives me up the wall.
Good luck and keep us up to date.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I find a good walk does more for them then runnng all day does. I ended up getting them both on prongs though Mandy does walk fine on a halti Casey hates it and won't walk any more and since they are on a coupler so only one leash they both use it and it makes the world of difference. I also use a very short leash so less mommentum to pull and tangle me up in.
They can run outside for hours especially Mandy but a good walk with sits and stuff and it mentally tuckers them out.

If he will stay put what about some fetch. I know you have a bad shoulder but those ball throwers do make it go farther with less effort.

Perhaps get your hubby in with some help and let him take him out more with him for walks or short trips in the car.

Another good thing that is just general training Sits stays waits downs waits, stuff like that mentally wears them out and don't forget NILIF works wonder for a dog whoforgets his way in the house

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That would drive me crazy, too...we are still working with keeping some semblance of order in the house when our German Shepherd and our mini-poodle are together...when the little one gets up the big one has to go after him. And my husband has learned this loud growling thing from the trainer-drives me nuts!!! this one trainer says that they don't understand words-well I am not going to go around growling all day-I would get a sore throat.
My trainer also - he used the word 'out' with a growl like sound lol I use it but it doesnt have the same effect lol

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what is NILIF? lol He is going to be four in July but acts more like a puppy. He knows the commands and obeys but the constant running and knocking me over is getting me down. He is too food oriented - I wouldnt be able to use food to train becuase he would be concentraing so much on the treat that he doesn't hear the comman - lol tried it. its not that he is disobedient - he just is - like a bull in a china shop

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I want to take them to the dog park and now I am afraid that Teddy will attack other dogs.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I don't suggest a long leash at a off leash park. Make more problems then fix I think.
Are you sure it is being mean and not good rough play. You should hear Mandy and Casey some days. I find them totally different at the park thought to. Casey will not let Mandy touch his squirrel yet at the park toys sticks whatever are everyones and no problems. You could try and if don't work leave but a dog on a leash at off leash park is an easy target to some dogs
NILIF = nothing in life is free.
Do not open door to go outside till sitting, do not let him demand a cuddle or pet he must do a command, no food or water till he performs a command sit down shake a paw.
He needs to learn you are the boss not him. So he gets nothing till you get something from him.
Another thing that is good for teaching space is back up. Whenever he is to close back him up but just walking into him so he has no choice and saying back up and treating so he learns your Space. If he coms running and you know he will bump you run into him first. A little nudge with your knee might remind him.

NO I am not mean but this boy needs to learn some space manners and if nothing else has worked I say be more hard headed then him.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree with MandyCasey Mom but I do all that - he just doesn't retain it - oh well.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Which one is Teddy, the brown?

I would put a choker on him and everytime he went faster give him a good ol gerk, its correction. If he is by your side, good boy and pat. Keep repeating this. If he still insists on being ahead of you, do circles bringing your right leg swinging around infront of him. Continue to do the circle to your left bring right leg swinging around. He will get the message especially when your foot keeps knocking him.

With the snatching, I would pretend he is getting a piece of food, when he goes in fast, growl and say slowly, dont let him have any till he learns to be gentle. You just have to keep applying this, going back to basics is the best way.

good luck

1 - 20 of 40 Posts