Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, spill already!!!
I started looking for another puppy after Snarky died. Snarky's breeder has retired. I couldn't track down anyone breeding from the dam line. I did find two kennels plus some puppy mills still working with the stud line. However, the dogs didn't light my fire enough to want to travel long distance to get a pup.

I then looked through AKC listings and found a breeder local to me with a pup available.
I hadn't wanted black. Nor did I want a pup born in winter (adds a layer of complexity to housebreaking). However, the breeder met most of my other criteria, plus I didn't have to get on a plane to retrieve the puppy.

So far the pup seems like a good little guy. He's more socialized than Pogo was at his age. I wouldn't say Pogo was unsocialized, but he took a few days to decide we were his pack. This little guy is very comfortable with strange humans.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Congrats to you and Puppy To Be Named Later, to Pogo who will become a big brother, and Kitty, who may get a friend finally. Who'd I miss?
So very happy for you all :).

·
Super Moderator
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think he is going to be called Galen, since the world needs a bit of physicking right now.

Pogo is acting like a little boy who had been looking forward to baby brother coming home from the hospital, only to discover that babies can't play and are actually really boring. The cat is merely appalled.

The puppy is alternating moments of brilliance with moments that make me wonder just what was I thinking getting another youngster. Unlike Pogo at his age, he seems to know all about stairs. After the first couple of times I lifted him on and off the deck, he decided to just climb the steps himself. It's only two steps, so I'm letting him continue.

He isn't as advanced as Pogo was when it comes to potty skills. I need to improve my timing and observation skills. We put down a pee pad for him, since his breeder uses them. He peed on it four times without me even seeing him do it. He didn't set himself up to squat; there was just suddenly a yellow spot on the floor. I also goofed when trying to get him out. He suddenly got wiggly, so I knew he needed to go out. By the time I finished putting on my coat and shoes it was too late: puddle by the door. I can't really blame him. He's still got a baby bladder. Outside with Pogo I saw him squat twice within a 10 minute span. I can't expect him to control himself if he has to wee that often.

·
Super Moderator
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awwww? Congratulations ?! What's his name? He looks like a brownie to me.
He's definitely not brown in person. The picture was taken with night mode turned on, and the camera did some weird things with color compensation. My leggings are really black, not purple. That being said, there is a dog from Terri Sidell's lines in his tree. He could have inherited some fun color genes.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
He's definitely not brown in person. The picture was taken with night mode turned on, and the camera did some weird things with color compensation. My leggings are really black, not purple. That being said, there is a dog from Terri Sidell's lines in his tree. He could have inherited some fun color genes.
Oh!?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I know of a litter of black standard poodles, and the breeder has offered me one. If they are flying off the shelves, maybe I need to pick one up before we are out? Maybe they are like toilet paper, and I should be panic buying before I lose my chance? (cowpony, you are NOT helping my puppy fever, which has so far been restrained by the knowledge that said litter is a 6 hr drive away)

·
Registered
12,614 Posts
You have now got me thinking that this could be the perfect time for a puppy - stuck at home all day, needing something to distract me from doom and gloom... Is there a rush on? Perhaps we should all get one, FWP!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts