Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
She's a beauty and what an interesting shade of color.

Reactions: Beaches1

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
I am going to enjoy watching 'The Puppy Nakita' grow into that distinctive coat. She sure is cute:)

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I bet she's going to be quite a looker! I wouldn't call her seal though......she has Phantom facial features and if she keeps them, I would say she is a 'sable phantom' like this one....? What do think? I think they look very similar!

Attachments

Reactions: Beaches1

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bet she's going to be quite a looker! I wouldn't call her seal though......she has Phantom facial features and if she keeps them, I would say she is a 'sable phantom' like this one....? What do think? I think they look very similar!

Unfortunately she has never looked like that one

And from what I understand there is no such thing as a sable phantom

Also both parents have to carry for phantom to get it and her father does not

I have Nakita's color test from paw print if u would like to see it... everyone said seal based off it

·
Registered
737 Posts
"sable phantom" is often what poodle people call the coloring that is genetically agouti, just like "phantom" is what we call tanpoint. The more I've leaned about dog color genetics, the more I've realized that poodles have their own special color vocabulary :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"sable phantom" is often what poodle people call the coloring that is genetically agouti, just like "phantom" is what we call tanpoint. The more I've leaned about dog color genetics, the more I've realized that poodles have their own special color vocabulary

I know

But on all the genetics groups and pages states there is no such thing as many many sables have the tan points known as ghost tan... it's not true tan points and it can appear from two non tan point parents that Carry sable

that's what they all have said lol

·
Registered
737 Posts
i figured you did, but was just clarifying for any other readers :)

agouti is sable phantom even though it isn't the correct genetic term, just like poodle people use blue to describe a black-based dog with slow progressive greying, even though most of the dog world uses "blue" to describe a black based double dilute dog.

Neither sable phantom nor blue is truly incorrect since they are breed specific terms, but they don't translate out of Poodle-ese correctly, and will leave most dog people scratching their heads at us :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts