Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... kind of a second new job, sort of. I have offered to be a part time groomer at the local (and only) no-kill shelter in Shreveport, LA called Pet Savers. I was up there dropping off some cat litter and one of the girls was in the process of bathing a lab mix looking dog and I overheard one of them say they wish they could afford to hire a dog groomer. So naturally I offered to come in a few times a week to bathe dogs, trim nails, clean ears, sanitary trims, shave downs on matted dogs and on the rare occasion that one can get a standard type cut i'll do it for free!

I'm really happy about it, it will be great experience and I just feel so great at work after making a dog feel better so I know i'll feel even better helping out animals that don't have someone spending $50 to have them taken care of. I'm still going to keep my normal grooming job but this will be something just for me that I enjoy.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now for the hard part... reminding myself that NO I cannot bring them all home!!! I almost came home with a kitten today. This little bugger was climbing all over me, purring, licked my face like a puppy would have..he was darling and i'm not much of a cat person.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Oooh that's awesome! If I had more time I'd be all over that. and yeah you're treading dangerous waters being around cute needy animals that often :p

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Now for the hard part... reminding myself that NO I cannot bring them all home!!! I almost came home with a kitten today. This little bugger was climbing all over me, purring, licked my face like a puppy would have..he was darling and i'm not much of a cat person.
I'm the same way! I'm a total sucker for a homeless kitten. (I have four cats that weren't planned, but I couldn't resist.) It's awesome that your grooming for the shelter. Everytime you're tempted to bring one home, remind yourself that you are helping them find homes.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
What a wonderful thing you have chosen to do for those most in need. I'm very happy for you and for all of your lucky dogs.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I admire you for helping out and taking on a second job to do it. Those dogs and kittens will have a few moments knowing that they are truly special. It takes a very caring heart to see them in such need. Just think. After one of your special grooms, who could resist taking them home? You could be the reason they get picked that day!

Just remember you can't personally save the world. I wish people would get more training before buying a puppy. So many of them have no idea what to do after they get home.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts