Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Leather has always been my favorite material for leashes. I love how it feels, the grip and it鈥檚 beauty. Well, I have now discovered the biothane leash. 馃槉I love the biothane material and while not exactly like leather it鈥檚 a close second for me! It鈥檚 light, has a good grip along with the flexibility that I love so much with leather leashes. They come in pretty colors too although I just bought a grey one. Super easy to clean too! I want to like nylon as there are so many pretty colors but they just don鈥檛 have the same feel in my hand and I can鈥檛 seem to keep as good a grip when needed. I bought a longer length and am finding it to work quite well yet give him a bit more freedom in low distraction areas. I think this leash will be a favorite!

Registered
I've seen these mentioned a few times lately. Your post put me over the edge and I'm in full search mode now, lol.

Registered
I like biothane as well. I have one that I use as a drag leash for Misha. They are perfect for this because they rarely tangle in the legs. And great for being super easy to clean.

For walking, I admit I am still partial to super soft leather. I just love the slight stretch it has and the warmer feel.

Registered
I love the round thin biothane leashes for nose work. If you do nose work, the round biothane are less floppy and easier to control than flat. Sunshine has a wider selection of colors in round than Palomino. I bought neon pink.

Biothane is also the best material for long lines. It doesn鈥檛 absorb moisture from the grass or rain. Dirt and leaves don鈥檛 seem to stick to them. They always look clean. I wasted money buying several different types of long leads, wish I had known about biothane earlier.

For walking however my DH prefers leather and I prefer a Mendota braided polypropylene rope which is so soft and lightweight. For agility I have their slip leash which seems to be popular for agility.

Reactions: Newport

Registered
I'm always so old fashioned & have stayed with my 6 ft leather leashes with the double brass snaps & floating ring. Trouble is the company I bought them from so reasonably for years no longer make them & it's a big pain to get them to make a batch. So my leather leashes are very protected for only certain work. So while Mr. Layne was an ornery puppy watching to mouth leashes, I bought a a hunting lead that's 5 ft with a brass snap but it's some sort of cord/rope of a thing. It's silky soft & light. I've gotten rather spoiled to that leash. It's so easy to deal with & if I'm not using it I wad it up & stuff it in a pocket.

Registered
I'm always so old fashioned & have stayed with my 6 ft leather leashes with the double brass snaps & floating ring. Trouble is the company I bought them from so reasonably for years no longer make them & it's a big pain to get them to make a batch. So my leather leashes are very protected for only certain work. So while Mr. Layne was an ornery puppy watching to mouth leashes, I bought a a hunting lead that's 5 ft with a brass snap but it's some sort of cord/rope of a thing. It's silky soft & light. I've gotten rather spoiled to that leash. It's so easy to deal with & if I'm not using it I wad it up & stuff it in a pocket.
I get all my leather leashes from Bold Lead Designs. They are a small company and have excellent attention to detail and customer service. They also make a lot of service dog harnesses, etc. They carry stock leashes in a number of widths and lengths but you can also customize endless ways. If you want something similar to leather but that is waterproof and non-slip when wet, check out their Brahma line....a number of people that track or do other work where a leash will be dragged or come into contact with wet grass, be pulled through brush, etc. use them. I've got leashes from them that are years old and have only gotten better and better with time (though they were nice and soft when I got them and needed no time to "break in"..... Leashes Archives - Bold Lead Designs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts