Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Lily over to the vet we've used in the last couple of weeks to get Peeves through his limping and a couple of follow on problems and for getting heartworm tests and rabies boosters. Her trip is for dental work to take care of tartar and periodontal issues, also possibly an extraction or two. She will also have one of those sealants applied to her teeth as well. She is in excellent health for a dog of any age let alone one who will be 12 in September and her blood work done last week is all normal. My head is sure she will be fine.

But it was hard to leave her since she didn't want to go in and it just doesn't feel right not having her by my side. She is a velcro girl. My heart is worried.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I took Lily over to the vet we've used in the last couple of weeks to get Peeves through his limping and a couple of follow on problems and for getting heartworm tests and rabies boosters. Her trip is for dental work to take care of tartar and periodontal issues, also possibly an extraction or two. She will also have one of those sealants applied to her teeth as well. She is in excellent health for a dog of any age let alone one who will be 12 in September and her blood work done last week is all normal. My head is sure she will be fine.

But it was hard to leave her since she didn't want to go in and it just doesn't feel right not having her by my side. She is a velcro girl. My heart is worried.
It's so frustrating that we can't tell them that we'll be coming back for them.

Perhaps you can focus on the reunion.

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
It is hard on both you and Lily. But in a day or two it will all be forgotten. I hope everything goes smoothly today. (((Hugs)))

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
I understand the feeling.

Here vets only take emergencies, and do not let anyone inside the clinic. So if your dog needs care, you stay outside and they come and take it away from you. That must be very distressful too.

I’m sure Lily will be back to you in no time !

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Hope she is home safely soon - no matter how rational we try to be it is hard not to worry, especially when a general anaesthetic is involved.

·
Premium Member
23,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dechi this is a very large practice that is normally open 24/7. I've been there on Thanksgiving and Easter. They are the only vet that is doing pretty comprehensive services including stuff like immunizations, well dog visits and such. I really am glad they are there, but Lily definitely didn't want to go in this morning. She was alone (last time Javelin was with her) and she really dug her heels in. I had to take a few steps with her and the tech to get her moving. I have a casual friend who used to work there (since has started her own holistic practice) and she swears that all the other vets there are great but Lily had only been there twice before today.

So here is a side question, I was planning to start their pest preventive meds today since it is May 1st. Now I am thinking I shouldn't add it on top of her anaesthesia today. Should I give them (bravecto and sentinel) tomorrow or wait longer?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
So here is a side question, I was planning to start their pest preventive meds today since it is May 1st. Now I am thinking I shouldn't add it on top of her anaesthesia today. Should I give them (bravecto and sentinel) tomorrow or wait longer?
Provided that they last received their preventives on April 1 or thereabout, I'd wait until tomorrow, or even Sunday to ensure a full 24 hrs since anesthesia. April has 30 days, so waiting until May 2nd is still only 31 days, which is of course how long you wait during a month with 31 days.

Also, my understanding is that these drugs are designed with a little wiggle room, knowing that people sometimes forget and may end up giving them a few days late. (In fact I've heard monthly preventives are good for 45 days, though I've never heard the specifics of x% are still 100% covered at that point, so I wouldn't put it to the test.)

Long and short, waiting 31 or even 32 days will be fine.

·
Premium Member
23,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Liz that is sensible thinking. I will wait until Sunday then.

I just got the call from the vet that the work is all done and that my pupchick did just fine, woke up well (most important). They extracted five incisors scraped some tartar and thankfully didn't have to take any big teeth. I will be picking her up around 5:00. So relieved, big sigh here.

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Ooooff - always a relief when it is safely over. She will be much more comfortable with the bad teeth gone.

Reactions: lily cd re

·
Premium Member
23,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ooooff - always a relief when it is safely over. She will be much more comfortable with the bad teeth gone.
She has been oddly reactive towards Peeves recently so we think (hope) it is because she has been annoyed by her dental issues. I won't focus on that right away, but hope I will see less cranky behavior from her in the next few days.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I'm so happy to hear that Lily is doing good and now you don't have to worry about her being at the vet anymore.

I hope that Peeves and her get along again soon.

·
Premium Member
23,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The pupchick Queen is home. She seems a little groggy, but generally she's looking good. I am happy to have her here with me. That for all of your happy thoughts for us today.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Liz that is sensible thinking. I will wait until Sunday then.

I just got the call from the vet that the work is all done and that my pupchick did just fine, woke up well (most important). They extracted five incisors scraped some tartar and thankfully didn't have to take any big teeth. I will be picking her up around 5:00. So relieved, big sigh here.
I'm so glad to hear that Lily is doing well after the dental work. She is such a happy girl!

·
Premium Member
23,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm so glad to hear that Lily is doing well after the dental work. She is such a happy girl!
Johanna you are right she is a happy girl, isn't she. When the tech brought her out she was looking at all the people standing near their cars and trying to say hello. I called her name before she saw me and when she did she dragged the young lady over to have a happy reunion.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts