Poodle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Biscuit (mini)
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! My name is Misha and I recently adopted a 3 1/2 y/o "mix" from a public shelter in Ohio. He was a stray picked up outside of Cleveland with a few similar-looking senior dogs. When I saw him listed online, I thought he looked like a very matted bichon mix.
When he was finally off of stray/behavioral hold a week later, he had some of his mats cut out and looked more poodle-ish.

I was told by friends and family that he looked like a poochon or a maltipoo, but this dog was taller and had tighter curls. One person said to me that he looked like their aunt's poodle when he's in a teddy bear clip. I ordered Embark for health testing and his results came back 100% small poodle! He also didn't have any poodle-related health conditions, which is a huge relief. He doesn't seem to have any behavioral problems either, and he's very obedient. I don't really know where he came from, but a few of his close relatives on Embark were abandoned or turned in to shelters by BYBs who wanted to "scale down". I'll probably never know where he came from, but I'm glad that he's with me now.

He just got his first poodle clip- I went with Miami because it's so hot out. He definitely seems more comfortable!

I'm very interested in getting involved in the "dog world"- I never had dogs growing up, and I feel as though I can learn a lot from people in the responsible dog owner community. I don't really know how to start, though- I've been looking into local AKC and poodle clubs, but a lot of them don't have websites. I'd definitely like to train for the Canine Good Citizen test. I'm also interested in learning more about dog sports. Biscuit really seems to enjoy jumping over baby gates (Biscuit is roughly 12" at the shoulder and the baby gates are 23" and 30"), so I might also check out agility if he qualifies as an AKC PAL.

Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thanks for reading!

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
3,090 Posts
Hello and welcome to you and your delicious little Biscuit!

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
How lucky both you and Biscuit are to have found each other. Biscuit is a sweetheart of a poodle.

Ask friends where they took their dogs for obedience or puppy classes. Look for one that offers a series at least two levels of obedience classes and trains and tests for both AKC CGC and maybe therapy dog programs.

AKC clubs offer these kinds of classes, but many non-AKC dog training facilities do too and have people who can test for the AKC CGC.

I‘m so glad you want to earn your AKC CGC. I think that’s such valuable training For all family pets. I’m in a Basic 1 Obedience with my puppy then we will take Basic 2. At the end of Basic 2 they test for AKC CGC. Not all dogs are ready to pass the exam the first time they take basic 2; it’s not uncommon to repeat the class.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
He is just so adorable! Love him in his new cut! Can't wait to hear more about his life and future accomplishments.

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
What a lovely poodle Biscuit is and what a wonderful story for you and this 100% .

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Welcome to PF to you and Biscuit! Biscuit is adorable. I have had dogs almost all my life, but only recently got into to train and training them and I just got an incredible rescue dog too. I think you're going to have a lot of fun learning!

·
Registered
105 Posts
never had dogs growing up and you were blessed with the perfect breed. call yourself a Poodle Person :) great that you want to explore Bisquit's potential. you may find a group on FB close to you for suggestions.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts