Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She is overdue to the groomer. Her appointment was the day our state shut down and now she is 4 or 5 weeks over due. I do brush her but not every single day. Matts are starting and I cant keep up with them. What should I do? I was thinking of buying a shear or whatever they are called and grooming her myself as best I can till our groomer opens up. Any help appreciated. Shes a smaller girl from nola. She will be a year old in may. 5th of may is her birthday, we call it cinco de miley. Anyway I hate these matts and it could be many weeks before the groomer opens. Any suggestions on my best option.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
She might be going through coat change if she hasn’t already. During coat change the hair matts so easily that it’s best to clip the hair short. Many poodles can be groomed with Bravura trimmers.

Reactions: Vee

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This may be. I had no idea although I am researching it now. I dont believe her coat has changed at all though. She is 11 months. I thought I was doing good brushing her then all of a sudden she is gettting what seems like matts quicker than I can keep up. I hope to get more advice but as of now perhaps I will order a bravura trimmer. I was going to ask for suggestions on trimmers if that was the answer.

·
Super Moderator
5,235 Posts
I agree re: coat change. Peggy's at roughly the same age. But either way, getting comfortable with basic grooming is probably a good idea, and it's something many of us have been struggling with.

Take a look at recent threads in the grooming section. You'll see lots of tool recommendations, as well as a wide variety of advice, resources, and just general commiseration.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Have you used a comb? I preferred a comb. If you use scissors to cut the mat up, from the skin to the end of the hair, it will comb out easier.

·
Premium Member
4,113 Posts
I have what they call a greyhound comb. Larger teeth on one side, smaller on the other. I didn't buy the really pricey one (CC's Buttercomb) and didn't need to, my comb does a very good job.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I use a plain metal comb on my guy that is cheap, I don't even know the name of it but it has medium sized teeth. Then I do sections at a time till the comb gets thru all his thick hair. I had him all combed out last week, then I bathed him and repeated it. My intentions was to shave him down but I just simply ran out of time. Both Petco and PetsMart have grooming appointments now. Since they can do it I don't see why our "small business" groomers cannot get back to work. They could easily do social distancing, even if we had to wait outside while the dog gets done. I'm ready for my groomer to get back to work.

·
Premium Member
23,199 Posts
Be very careful if you perchance use shears to try to break up mats or cut them down close to skin. They are super sharp and it is easier than you could believe it should be to cut skin. I would invest in the Wahl Bravura as you will find it helpful to do FFT in between regular groomer appointments when such things are happening again. To take down this coat with mats I would set it at its longest setting and just take everything off. It will be easier all around. It is hair and it will grow faster than you might think. The mats probably are from coat change.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I used a plain metal comb that you can get anywhere, one with a handle. If you are worried about cutting the skin, slip the comb against the skin, then cut from the comb to the tips. Not as good as getting close to the skin, but I am sure it will work just fine for you.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
all of a sudden she is gettting what seems like matts quicker than I can keep up.
That sounds like a typical description of the start of coat change :). If that's what's going on, the combing out will need to be done daily to keep the matting under control. Mufar42 described it briefly, but look up line brushing for poodle coats, here or elsewhere online.

You can try getting some clippers and clip Miley shorter. You may find it's easier than fighting coat change. The Bravura is often recommended but you might need a sturdier type, depending on how thick her hair is. Catherine's right about the Bravura still being useful for you in between appointments, once the groomers are back.

The problem right now, as many members are finding, is since most groomers aren't considered "essential businesses", just like toilet paper, masks, and hand sanitizer, clippers to DIY it are now quite hard to find.

PTP mentioned the current crop of grooming threads. There's a lot of folks facing this right now. Their questions and successes may be helpful.

Tools as mentioned above:

A pin brush with rounded tips

The Steel Comb (Greyhound Comb as mentioned by Asta's Mom)

Slicker Brush

Round Tip Scissors to cut thru a mat (from skin outward as described above). If you can't comb the mat out after dividing it, you may need to use the comb placed between the skin and the mat then clip above the scissors horizontally as Michigan Gal described.

You mentioned she's a NOLA girl. Have you contacted them to see if they have any suggestions?

Also as mentioned, some PetSmart and Petco grooming salons have reopened, depending on location and state and local orders.

Good luck! Whether coat change or just past due, it's fixable :).

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
IMO, we're not gonna escape this looooong, ungroomed period without a complete shave-down at the end anyway. So most of Tonka is allowed to revert to the wild.
I go in with shears and keep his underarms groomed. So matts there don't limit movement of his legs. I keep his muzzle and eyebrows chopped back too.

And wait... :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
You could try a dematting comb with serrated blades. Works great on Sable! They make 2 handle styles, one as pictured and the other like a rake.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts