Poodle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one with a neurotic dog who doesn't dig hardwood floors? I warned Maurice before we moved from the last house, which had some hardwood that the new house would have even more. Poor fella. I've worked with him, gradually moving the throw rugs further apart, little by little. But he ain't buyin' it. One year since we moved and there's no changing his mind. Cheese, short nails, short hair, varying degrees of success, lots of back sliding. Ahhh. So, I put some throw rugs down. He will go a short distance from one to the other, sometimes bracing himself, getting up his nerve, shifting his weight forward and backward until he finally springs off the back feet to bound bravely onto the next rug which is perhaps 3 feet away. But I'm not covering the whole house in throw rugs...not gonna happen. He's not really afraid. He just doesn't like the feel I'm thinking.

So, he has a way to get from the couch to the water to the outside door and he can come into the kitchen working area to see me. There was a time where he went all the way from the front door, down the hall and onto the rug under the piano, from which point he could make his way around near the couch. But he hasn't tried that for a long time now. So he'll whine if he wants to come in the den with me. I held out a little for a time, seeing if he'd chance it if I wouldn't come to his rescue. But I finally came to a point where his stressing out wasn't worth it. Sooooo I go get him and carry him if he can't make it and cries. I just do. I think always being stressed out isn't healthy. So my sweet little darlin' is now comfy in the den while I hang out on my computer. LOL.

Pardon me for having to put links up instead of right here to see but I fear my pictures aren't loading correctly otherwise. Hope you'll take a look anyhow. :act-up:

https://smg.photobucket.com/user/Carriebrent/media/20190413_110315_zpsxqlooarq.jpg.html

I just bought a runner. It looks awful to have throw rugs all over the place. Some match, other don't. But hey, Maurice is priority. Matisse couldn't care less. He rip roars, slips and slides, thinks it's just fine. Two very distinct personalities here.

https://smg.photobucket.com/user/Carriebrent/media/20190403_164602_zpsp5ebp1ca.jpg.html

·
Registered
8,560 Posts
My dogs are used to hardwood floors, but they won’t go up hardwoord stairs, even if two steps. I had to have rugs on them.

The new house doesn’t have those two steps so it’s okay.

I know what it’s like to oblige a dog who won’t refuses to go on certain surfaces or areas. Merlin won’t jump on sofas. And before I had to carry Tamara everywhere, she was small and towards the end, just too old. This is part of what made it so hard when she died. And it still is. I had to take care of her every need. But hey, I’m digressing here...

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
My maltipoo Jasper could not stand the laminate floors in my apartment (he was used to a carpeted house). He truly was scared of them. Unfortunately, the only areas carpeted in my apartment are the bedroom and the closet. The living room and kitchen are an open concept design, and putting down enough area rugs and runners would have been impossible to make it right for him. I worked really hard to build up some success of him being comfortable on the floors, but then he ended up moving in with my parents because he had other anxiety challenges going on.

Miracle, on the other hand, has a blast running on the same floors.

·
Premium Member
15,338 Posts
Sophy hates slippery floors ever since she slipped a disc - she considers them a canine health hazard. There are a couple of points in my sister's kitchen where I have to ask her to put a rug down temporarily when we stay, as I quite agree with Sophy that a twist, step up and slip is a recipe for disaster, and I have solved the problem at home with large rugs and runners. Poppy is oblivious, and just trots on over everything.

Reactions: Poodlebeguiled

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Have you tried doggy socks? The kind with non-slip grip on the bottom? My girls had them for a different reason, but they adjusted quickly to the socks, unlike boots, which did not go over well lol.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
My poor Luna is terrified of the hardwood floors at my parents house. Their entire main floor is very slick hardwood and Luna has slipped on them one too many times. I need to figure out a good solution for her next time we go up because it is horrible to see her refusing to step off of the rug because she is scared of slipping.

·
Registered
10,518 Posts
Babykins is fussy about floor surfaces too. We have mostly wood floors. I had a horrible time trying to teach sit and down before I realized I had to train her on a carpet and not the slippery wood floor. She’s gotten used to them so the only throw rugs I have are in front of couches for safety.

If you could have seen her the first time I took her in Nordstrom’s. They have extremely shiny slippery marble floor with carpeted islands around merchandise and counters. She was petrified of the marble and we had to slowly tip toe til we reached a carpeted area where she would walk normal only to repeat that slow tip toe to move to the next carpeted area. It was comical except I couldn’t laugh because I knew my dog was stressed. The next time we visited she was a little better and less hesitant about walking on the marble and now she could care less and just walks normally.

She’s been like this with many surfaces and eventually becomes accepting of them. With her it’s a texture thing and not always because it’s slippery. Seems Maurice is just as fussy.

I bought socks for Babykins thinking she could wear them in the snow, but they got soaking wet quickly so clearly they weren’t substitutes for boots. They had a non-slip surface on the bottom. I bet those socks could help Maurice. Foot waxes like mushers secret probably would work but leave a mess on the floor.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess there are quite a few dogs that are either afraid of slippery surfaces or they just plain hate the feel, which I am pretty sure is Maurice's case. I suspect to him it's like scratching on a chalk board. He definitely doesn't seem terrified but very horrified instead. It was interesting reading all of your responses and I thank you for sharing.

I started him very early...it's not like he was an over protected child. lol. He will go (finally) on rather slick concrete floors, such as in Home Depot. But that didn't come immediately. And like I said, he use to go all the way down my long entry hall. But something must have happened to cause him to stop doing that. An extra difficult slip. If I set him down a big of a distance from a rug, he'll scramble, move his feet very fast, even while I'm still holding him...sort of a panic type thing. I try to tell him to take it easy here...calm yourself, I'm holding you. But alas...he is just not buyin' it.

I'm afraid he'll chew or pull off any kind of sock I put on his feet. After all, when I put his harness and leash on and he's waiting for his walk or to be put in his car seat, even in his car seat, he'll start chewing on that. Both the dogs have wrecked their harnesses around the edges. I'm quite certain he'd rip those things off his feet in a heart beat. I've even thought of those nail caps but I've read of complications whereby if you don't get them on just so, they can cause an infection and they need to be replaced as the nails grow...too much hassle and worry for me. So, we'll just keep working on it I guess or not and continue to cater to the little angel baby. :angel: Or maybe just one more runner. lol.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Aww, I too have hardwood floors and before I forget what a lovely fireplace, it looks so comfy & warm and Merlin looks like a happy camper I do have a area rug in the living room but only a small throw rug in bedroom. Renn slips n slides on the hardwood, not afraid of it b ut doesn't have any control, so I try to point him to where there is carpet. He has a nice bed alongside my recliner in bedroom and I have that throw rug but he like the rug to sit on for petting etc then he like the hardwood to sleep on, He pushes his bed tot he side and will use it for his head.

·
Registered
10,518 Posts
Both I and my daughter tried the glue on nails for our cats - the cats ripped them off in seconds.

Where you do feed him? Could you have his food placed where he had to step on wood floors to eat which would allow a positive association with the feel of the floor?

OTOH it could be that he hurt himself sliding on the floor and doesn't want to repeat what made him sore?

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Oh yes, been there, done that. LOL. The little sh!! has me wrapped around his littlest digit. I use to hold out and make stretch his bravery to get to his food and water. Poor thing was stressed big time. No can do to my little wee precious anymore. I've decided to just let it be. Or try just one more foot of stretching. It's a little inconvenience for me to have to carry all 4.7 lbs of his anatomy to another place sometimes, not too much though. And he is able to get to the essential places. Well, maybe I'll experiment a little more. Thanks for the refreshing of an idea. I've tried stupendous treats dropped around. He's probably holding out because he's got my number. Ahhh...no worries, she'll back down soon enough and bring it to me like any good servant. :whoo:

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aww, I too have hardwood floors and before I forget what a lovely fireplace, it looks so comfy & warm and Merlin looks like a happy camper I do have a area rug in the living room but only a small throw rug in bedroom. Renn slips n slides on the hardwood, not afraid of it b ut doesn't have any control, so I try to point him to where there is carpet. He has a nice bed alongside my recliner in bedroom and I have that throw rug but he like the rug to sit on for petting etc then he like the hardwood to sleep on, He pushes his bed tot he side and will use it for his head.
Awww...thanks. Merlin looks very happy and comfy but I think...because of the mention of a fireplace, you might be referring to my picture of Maurice in the dog bed in front of the fireplace. (which is nothing more than a glorified heater. lol) It's cute though. Anyhow, Renn sounds cute and funny. Matisse must grip the floor better with his toes because he only slips if he's acting like a maniac. It sounds like Renn has his own system, his own preferences. That's funny though, how he likes to sleep right on the hardwood but uses his bed for a pillow. Too cute! Maybe he's too warm on a bed or rug so he likes the cooler floor. (?)

·
Registered
2,114 Posts

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All of our dogs are fine on wood floors, but when I first brought Frosty home, he was a little slippy-slidey.

What about putting some Musher's Secret on his paws? https://www.amazon.com/Mushers-Secr...'s+secret+paw&qid=1555267960&s=gateway&sr=8-3 And drop a little filet mignon on the floor?
Musher's secret? Not on my beautiful floors in my new house! LOL. Thanks but no thanks. Isn't that some kind of gunky stuff? I did drop a little piece of sausage on the floor just a little out of his comfort zone. It took a while, but he finally stretched. I've done this for almost 6 years off and on. I suspect if I spent a lot more time working with him and really diligently, systematically, every day he could get over this at least somewhat better. But I just figure he can get to the most important places in the house because of the throw rugs, the places he needs to go and I'll carry him those few places he has stress about. And I have other things to do too for cryin' out loud.

Well let me think on this some more. Maybe I'll spend all summer working with the little rascal instead of doing my gardening, bike riding, hiking, agate hunting, singing, cooking... :argh:

Reactions: MaizieFrosty

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
If Musher's Secret is a no (I don't think it leaves a residue), I would just get runner rugs with a rubber backing and put them throughout the entire house LOL I'm all about making life easier :D

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Maurice sounds like he may be a little bit sensitive, like my girl. She has the memory of an elephant (better than my own memory, no doubt.) She never forgets an unpleasant experience. Which is unfortunate, but I can’t really blame her. She is not scared of any other slick floors anywhere. Heck I have watched her show on slick floors with no mats down without a problem. But because she has had a bad experience on my parents floors (running excitedly and slipped which scared her to death), she I’m sure will never forget those floors. Luckily we don’t make it up to their house very often.

My husband took her up a couple of weeks ago without me. I had completely forgotten about the floor issue but he told me that she had slipped again and was scared. Now when I am up there, I baby her. I don’t mind carrying around her 40 lbs or tiptoeing around with her. I’m not sure what my husband did with her though, so when we go back up in a few weeks I will have to see if any additional “damage” has been done to her sensitive side. I am going to try to put on toddler socks with grips or use some grip spray while we are up there this time. I saw on amazon they have little sticky pads to put on the bottom of their feet which have a grip, but they would be expensive if used often as they are one time use.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If Musher's Secret is a no (I don't think it leaves a residue), I would just get runner rugs with a rubber backing and put them throughout the entire house LOL I'm all about making life easier :D

Lookie here woman.:attention: We're talkin about a 4.7 lb, 8" little creature. He lives in over 2000 sq ft, most of which is hardwood floors. He does NOT need access to the entire house! Harumph! At least I don't put him in a 10 gal. aquarium.

He can go from this area (darn pictures are still humongous, at least from my view)

to here

He can not go here which leads to the laundry room and my room and I don't want the dogs in my room anyhow...no more dogs on carpeted areas! He will live if he doesn't go in my room. Or do you think that's what made him neurotic? :afraid:

Or here, but there was a time where he did go from the front door all the way into the main living area. For some reason he could go that long distance but not other long distances. He can even do certain places better now, but only on Tuesdays.:2in1: He will make his way almost to a rug that isn't shown...like if I put another to help him learn...and he'll be one foot from it and decide he better back up, so he does aaaalll the way back to the rug he took off from. Better safe than sorry he says.

So all the main living areas of the house, where I spend the majority of my time he can get to except for the den, which is where I spend quite a bit of time, so therefore, he gets air lifted when I'm going to hang out in there and go on my computer or work at my desk. Both poodles are in here now chewing on a bully stick in front of the "fire." It's a rainy, yucky day so we're hanging out all cozy, might skip our walk today.

Reactions: MaizieFrosty

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maurice sounds like he may be a little bit sensitive, like my girl. She has the memory of an elephant (better than my own memory, no doubt.) She never forgets an unpleasant experience. Which is unfortunate, but I can’t really blame her. She is not scared of any other slick floors anywhere. Heck I have watched her show on slick floors with no mats down without a problem. But because she has had a bad experience on my parents floors (running excitedly and slipped which scared her to death), she I’m sure will never forget those floors. Luckily we don’t make it up to their house very often.

My husband took her up a couple of weeks ago without me. I had completely forgotten about the floor issue but he told me that she had slipped again and was scared. Now when I am up there, I baby her. I don’t mind carrying around her 40 lbs or tiptoeing around with her. I’m not sure what my husband did with her though, so when we go back up in a few weeks I will have to see if any additional “damage” has been done to her sensitive side. I am going to try to put on toddler socks with grips or use some grip spray while we are up there this time. I saw on amazon they have little sticky pads to put on the bottom of their feet which have a grip, but they would be expensive if used often as they are one time use.

Yes, he may be about this one thing. But he isn't about other things that have spooked him or alarmed him. He goes right back to it. I think this just creeps him out and yes, he may be a bit spooked about these floors.

Good luck with your girl. She sounds like she's really, really scared. With my two, I'm quite sure they'd rip off anything I put on their tootsies. So, I'll either work with him some more or get along the way we have been, which isn't too bad. I hope your ideas work for your gal. Let us know if you think of it down the road.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.