Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up Levi yesterday from groomer and the assistant told me they cut Levi and put glue on him. The groomer who did it had left for the day (she did not tell me about mishap when she called to say he was ready) and the owner of the shop is away on vacation. Basically only one groomer was working and I did not know this would be the case when I had set his appt. earlier this week. So-the glue came apart today and he is now in surgery to get his tummy repaired-I called the shop to confirm that they would be reimbursing me as the asst. told me would be the case if I had problems. The groomer wanted me to bring him back so she could re-glue him-I said, no, I will take him to the animal hospital (as my vet is closed until Tues) this stuff always happens on weekends. So now I am very nervous because he had to be put to sleep and will be out this evening.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Omg, so they cut his belly pretty badly then? Im sorry to hear that happened.

He looks adorable otherwise in the pics. Poor guy though.

I remember when my moms Bichon was pretty much nuetered from the groomer at our local petsmart (almost 10 years ago now). The groomer said she thought he was a female. What a poor excuse. She just wasnt paying attention for a mistake like that to happen.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
That's terrible! If it was that bad, she should've called you when it happened, told you when she called for you to pick him, or at least stuck around until you picked him up. I certainly hope they pay for it, they should have insurance for these situations. I hope Levi recovers quickly!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Wow....thats scarey!!!

I think I am going to try to groom myself as long as I can. Their bellys seem super thin and I guess you have to be very careful. Were you compensated for their neglect?:rolffleyes:

·
Registered
478 Posts
I would be furious. I agree with the others - the groomer should've told you on the phone or stayed and told you in person. Plus, to make the decision to glue it without talking to you...I'd be really upset! Poor puppy - hope everything goes well and he has a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
How in the heck can they cut a dog so bad he has to have surgery? That's insane to me. Either I have good dogs on the table or something but I've never cut a dog like that because that seems to me to be very deep. Was that with scissors or clippers?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
ugh! It's groomers like that that end up giving us all a bad name... :/

Both times I've nicked a dog I called the owner straight away, in one case I couldn't get hold of the owner, so I took the dog through to the vet clinic next door and they stitched it (one stitch. lol) anyway; our account of course! It probably could have been fine without the stitch, but I'd rather err on the side of caution with someone elses baby!!! I know glue can be fine for a surface skin nick, but I'd personally rather the professionals (vets!) deal with it. If it was my own dog I'd probably wack some glue onto it, but when it's someone elses baby, it's a different story.

((hugs)) and well wishes for you wee guy, I hope all is ok again... :(

·
Registered
616 Posts
can clippers cut that bad?? I didnt even think that clippers would cut?? nick, but not cut? that is horrible!! and how do you know they didnt clean the cut before glueing it back together? can you say major infection?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Clippers can cut if a fold of skin gets caught between the teeth. Then it effectivly slices the top off the fold that got caught, and it all depends on how much skin was caught as to how deep/wide it ends up being. Ew!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Clippers can cut if a fold of skin gets caught between the teeth. Then it effectivly slices the top off the fold that got caught, and it all depends on how much skin was caught as to how deep/wide it ends up being. Ew!
Scary!! and here I am just clippin away!! lol thank the good Lord I have never cut my boy!!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
you just gotta keep the skin taut, and go at right angles to skin wrinkles, not along the same direction as them or you're more liable to catch it in!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:grouphug:Oh-I am so tired this morning. Levi cried all night and I would just stand there like a zombie because I couldn't get him back in his cage-and could hear my husband from the bedroom snoring away! then he got up early to take care of his Sasha and let Levi out to run the house-where did he run? My bedroom door of course...so he got 4 stitches and has to wear an elizabethan collar for 10-14 days-sutures will have to be removed plus he is on amoxocyllin-to the cost of over $300...which I will take the receipt into the groomer's this week-but the physical part of keeping all the dogs separate and managing Levi (who never lies down and is always jumping!) plus Paulie is just 5 months-so it isn't just the money but the trouble. I know the owner will b so upset when she comes back from her trip-we have used her services for more that 10 years (or since she has been in business...the cut was an inch or so from his "tool" and he had evidently opened it up-it is at a stress point on the body-now I will really be paranoid about using the clippers that I had just bought-lol! Thanks for the warm wishes-it is nice to have a poodle-caring community! Hugs to all...

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
wow I can't belive they cut him so bad he needed stiches - thats terrible - it makes me afraid to get them groomed - or to groom them myself!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts