Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My work schedule has been crazy this week, long hours day and into the evening, so Darcy has stayed with my parents for a few nights. I finally finished up today and headed to their place to meet up with him. Darcy was playing on his own in the front room as he always does there, while I was laying on the couch in the back room relaxing and watching TV when my dad arrived home.

A few minutes later I suddenly just had this weird feeling and decided to check that the front screen door had closed behind my dad. My parents have a glass screen door as well as baby gate across the porch entrance that we almost always keep closed. From the back of the house I could see that both the screen door and baby gate were wide open, leaving easy access to the front driveway which is a car's length from the street. Darcy was nowhere in sight and my heart literally dropped to my feet as I took off for the front door.

I ran out onto the porch, with no sign of Darcy when a couple walking by with their dog said "oh look a little poodle". Darcy was standing just out of view at the bottom of the porch steps and went over to say hi to the dog as I ran down to grab him.

I don't know what made me check that the front door was shut, but thank goodness I did. It took me about half an hour before I stopped feeling shaky, it was just too close a call. I kept thinking of the thread Marian started about how you lose a 4 to 5 month puppy. Here's one way! I'm so thankful he hadn't made it too far before I caught up with him.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
OMG, how scary!! Im so glad you found him!! That happened to Riley once, and he literally ran into the road in front of my car as i was out searching for him!! Gosh those dogs can really scare us!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Whew, I'm glad you found him! We had a scary moment like that when someone left our basement door open and we thought Karma, my cat, had escaped! Thankfully she was hiding in the house.
Isn't intuition wonderful?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm so glad Darcy is ok! It's amazing how you get that "something is not right" feeling, and how often that feeling is correct. Such accidents can happen - even to the best of puppy moms!

My parents had our back yard fenced in - it is about a half acre fenced in the country near a lake. When my mom's westie puppy was about 5 mos old she escaped from the back yard - we had been watching her one minute and the next she was gone! Apparently she had dug a tiny tunnel under the fence out of the yard. We found her a half hour later by the lake - thankfully she responded to our calling her. It is the worst feeling! Hugs to you and Darcy!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Oh my gosh sooo scary I'm glad as is well. I too had this happen but there was never a door open but I still ran around outside calling for my girl I could not find her anywhere panic set in and I was frantic.
I finally found her in my walk in closet she must have followed me in there then I was changing my clothes,She was just standing there like I was here all along all you had to do is open the door :doh:

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
OMG, I'm so glad it has a happy end and Darcy is safe. It is sooooooooo scary. I know how you felt, it happened to me few days ago. I let Monti play on friend's backyard, Monti usually stays close but there was a rabbit. Monti bolted out, me running after him over friend's then neighbor's backyard yelling at Monti but forget it. At the end of neighbor's backyard was a busy street. I thought I'm gonna die, I screamed on top of my lungs and Monti got down just feets from the road. I don't have to tell you I was shacking too. We are in a learning stage and thanks god these experiences have happy end.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Glad you got up to check..I lost Robbie once but didn't even know I did until the neighbor came over with him..our fence has a gap under it so I have landscape bricks all around..I had the back door open so he could go in and out and well he found a spot he could squeeze under and luckily went next door into the neighbors house who had their front door open..the neighbors son brought him over saying he just walked into the house..I let him down and he immediately went to the same spot to try and get out again so at least I could fix it. .. He was probably about 5 months old at the time.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Wow, so scary!! I'm so glad little Darcy man is okay. Intuition is a funny thing.

I puppysat a border terrier puppy until her Puppy Raiser family was back from vacation. We were playing on the deck, and she was on a long line. I was going inside to grab a few treats, which would've only taken 15 seconds at most, when I turned around to check where she was, and saw the long line had disappeared over the side of the deck!! Thankfully the line was long enough so that she was able to touch the ground and had a few feet to run around, but if it had been short, she could've hung herself or broken her neck going off the side....
I felt so stupid to have trusted her not to jump off the side of the deck (about a 3 foot drop), she's a terrier after all!

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Whew! What a fright!! Thank goodness for a happy ending. I too had an incident when I nearly lost Chagall.

We had friends over and we were eating and chatting out on the back deck. Chagall was on 30' tracking line and my friend's son was tossing a ball to him. They are great playmates, the kid can throw and Chagall can fetch. Then I hear the boy yell, "Hey, where are you going?" and I see the day-glow tracking line disappear into the woods. Our yard has a 100' drop down to a creek that flows into the Delaware River. Well, you never saw people scramble so fast! Chagall was in pursuit of a squirrel and we were in pursuit of him. We could hear Chagall "arf" when we called him, but couldn't see him anywhere. Then my girlfriend, who had the good sense to stay on higher ground, spotted him IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CREEK! (Thank goodness there was very little water in it at the time.) So we all go racing down there to get him and bam! he disappears again. Only this time he doesn't bark back in response to being called.

I am already half dead in my heart, but I just kept thinking, "This can't be happening!" He was nowhere to be seen or heard, it was like he just disappeared. Then, my same smart girlfriend spots him and shouts, "There he is!" Chagall is a silver mini, so he was completely camouflaged in the slate rocks along the side of the creek. The tracking line had gotten stuck under an uprooted tree branch and he was just standing there, grinning and panting, all muddy and happy, wagging his tail and watching all the nutty people scramble down the rocky slope and through the creek. He had a blast. I had nightmares for a week! I thought I was the worst poodle parent ever. Lesson learned, believe me! He's reached the age where if it's a choice between me or a squirrel, the squirrel wins. When he was just a bit younger it would have been me all the way!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the sympathy and the stories! Our first dog used to get out of our backyard sometimes but he was older and would just go sit by the front door. Darcy is such an explored and has no sense of the road. I'm sure he would have just gone where the wind took him! The 5 steps would have stopped him before but not now. I'm just so so happy I checked. Moral of the story is follow your gut! And never trust a door to shut on its own.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Poor thing! I just saw your post. I'm so glad Darcy is ok and that you found him right away.

He is such a looker. I know someone would try to snatch him up if they got the chance. It would be neat if he could meet Zulee someday. :love:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
So glad you followed your instinct! And that you found Darcy before he had a chance to run out in the road. I have to be on guard with Rebel all of the time. Squirrels are so tempting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts