Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lucy is about 5 1/2 months old now! She's come a long way from the little 8-week old we brought home last October!! She has been such a joy to my husband and me! I love her puppy coat, but I know that the dreaded "change" will be coming soon... These pics were taken this weekend, about 24 hours after I had bathed/dried/clipped FFT. I'm starting to think about having to graduate to "real" grooming for her soon. I purchased the Muddy Creek video that was recommended on this forum (haven't viewed it yet - maybe this weekend!)

Here's my girl!!

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
So beautiful! I know how you feel. We had to cut Gorky's hair, with trepidation but we are glad we did. He has a mixture of adult hair and puppy hair and it has made it alot easier during this stage. Lucy has a beautiful coat of hair and it looks like you have groomed her well.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
She is a stunner!! You are doing an amazing job of keeping her groomed. I am very impressed. When you decide it is time for her big girl hair cut, we can be on the phone and I would be only too happy to assist you. I would highly recommend that the first big groom she go to a really good groomer, so you have lines to follow and can get tons of great photos to help you along. Clipping off all this coat and getting the clip just right can be challenging for someone who has done it before.I would love to see her in a continental with rosettes on the bum and all the bells and whistles before all is lost, but that would cost a small fortune!!

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would love to see her in a continental with rosettes on the bum and all the bells and whistles before all is lost, but that wlould cost a small fortune!!
Ahhhh, it's only money!! You can't take it with you!! :)

There's a groomer in Mandan (sister city to Bismarck, just across the Missouri River) who is supposed to be very knowledgeable about poodle cuts... I may talk to her... I do know she was kind of a crab when Katy was trying to find a shop to apprentice in - she seemed rather snobbish... but if she's a good groomer, I can deal... tell me what you think of her site...

http://bis.midco.net/dakotasunrise/HTML Pages/Grooming.htm

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Ahhhh, it's only money!! You can't take it with you!! :)

There's a groomer in Mandan (sister city to Bismarck, just across the Missouri River) who is supposed to be very knowledgeable about poodle cuts... I may talk to her... I do know she was kind of a crab when Katy was trying to find a shop to apprentice in - she seemed rather snobbish... but if she's a good groomer, I can deal... tell me what you think of her site...

http://bis.midco.net/dakotasunrise/HTML Pages/Grooming.htm
It looks like she does a fine job. I love the big full top knot on the parti toward the bottom.

Would you consider a full continental for a bit? It would make your work half as difficult because you wouldn't need to worry about the back end much, and a ton of the baby coat would be scissored off. Ohhhhh....I am getting excited!!!

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would you consider a full continental for a bit? It would make your work half as difficult because you wouldn't need to worry about the back end much, and a ton of the baby coat would be scissored off. Ohhhhh....I am getting excited!!!
Perrrrhaps.... :lol: I can tell you that when Meau gets groomed in her modified continental, David can't wait to parade her around town - I think he LIKES to be seen with fancy poodles!! :)

At what age is this something we can consider for Lucybug?? I can consult with the groomer and see if this is something she'd do for us...

Geeez, Arreau... being so excited about her haircut it's like you're her GRANDMA or something! :pound: :lol:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Lucy is OH SO PRETTY! Love her full coat... but yes, the work is going to get pretty tough in a bit.
You can put her in a CC at 8 or 9 months and it will help a great deal... but it's still going to be difficult when she's going through coat change. If you can do it, that would be fabulous to see.

Good luck, enjoy your fast growing lovely girl!
Karen

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Perrrrhaps.... :lol: I can tell you that when Meau gets groomed in her modified continental, David can't wait to parade her around town - I think he LIKES to be seen with fancy poodles!! :)

At what age is this something we can consider for Lucybug?? I can consult with the groomer and see if this is something she'd do for us...

Geeez, Arreau... being so excited about her haircut it's like you're her GRANDMA or something! :pound: :lol:
Her coat is long enough to do it now, but I would wait until a) The weather is a bit warmer 'cause I know how much she loves playing outside and her little bum would FREEZE, and b) Her top knot is still a bit short to tie up and stay up. I'd say April. Then the coat change hasn't gotten underway yet either, so you will be giving yourself a big break with a lot of that coat gone. We'll have to find you a ton of photos to take with you.

Bless David's heart! He has really gotten into the Poodle ownership thing, and is such a great Daddy. Your critters are so blessed to have such a great family.

I AM her Grandma, but don't want to overstep my boundaries as Grandma's so often do. Whatever you do with her clip will make me happy, but I just thought...I know how much you are enjoying the grooming aspect, and she is looking soooooo pretty with her long coat, it just seems a shame to take it all off. You and Lucy have Grandma's blessing whatever way you decide to go with this!!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
She is pretty stunning, if I do say so myself!! I cannot get over how beautifully she is maturing. I have looked at these photos 50 times already this morning. She has an awesome chest! (Thank you Holly!!)

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a consultation appointment tomorrow at 12:45 with the groomer I listed... She sounds anxious to get her hands on Lucy - but I told her that I'm not ready to do the full CC until the weather warms up a bit... she cautioned me that if I do that type of cut it will take regular upkeep to look good and I'm OK with that... I don't think it's a cut I want her in forever, but it will be fun for a while!! :) I'll let y'all know how the appointment goes tomorrow!

...OK, now I'm getting nervous... :lol:

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I have a consultation appointment tomorrow at 12:45 with the groomer I listed... She sounds anxious to get her hands on Lucy - but I told her that I'm not ready to do the full CC until the weather warms up a bit... she cautioned me that if I do that type of cut it will take regular upkeep to look good and I'm OK with that... I don't think it's a cut I want her in forever, but it will be fun for a while!! :) I'll let y'all know how the appointment goes tomorrow!

...OK, now I'm getting nervous... :lol:
Don't be nervous!! Be excited like Grandma Cherie is!!! The nice thing about the CC is you are not afraid to clip her, so you can still do her face, feet and tail, and carefully follow the lines the groomer puts in and keep her looking lovely all the time. Just take her in every few months for a good scissor job and re-definition of the lines.

OMG...I am soooooooo excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Oh my - she definitely is not a baby any more !!!!:)

She is so beautiful - as always, and I will personally shave that groomer bold if she messes up Lucy's hair !!!!:viking:

·
Registered
232 Posts
She is absolutely gorgeous!! I can't wait to hear how it goes tomorrow :) Good luck!!!

(on a side note... I have been watching Ceasar Milan on the National Geographic channel online and have THOROUGHLY enjoyed every minute. I find myself tearing up at times because the stories are so moving! I can NOT believe some of the dogs he works with! Absolutely amazing. If not for you and your comments on the "other" thread :) I don't think I would have taken the time and I sure would have missed out! Thanks so much!!)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Ha ha Arreau : ))) - many times I try "not to comment" since I was worried Mrs. Sugarplum would really start thinking that I am becoming one of those
"crazed fans" and that she will need to ask for "restraining order" for poor Wishpoo :secruity: LMAO

1 - 20 of 53 Posts