Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a few pictures of my daughter's standard poodle, Chalumeau; before and after her most recent groom which was yesterday. She was really overgrown when we took her in yesterday, Katy made sure that Meau didn't have any mats so at least she had THAT goin' for her!

Katy likes the modified continental for Meau (no butt balls) and the groomer charged $65 for this cut the last time Katy had her done... She was quoted $65 this time as well, but when my husband went to pick Meau up, the owner of the salon talked to him and said that she didn't realize how much work this was to do (she wasn't at the salon the last time the groomer took care of her) so she wanted to let him know that if we ever call her salon again and want this same cut for Meau it will be a MINIMUM of $100.

She said the cut was very labor intensive and her groomer could've done 4 dogs in the amount of time she spent on Meau... I take this as a sign that my daughter needs to get a little more proactive in her grooming habits!! If SHE would make sure Meau is trimmed up between pro grooms (instead of just brushing only and letting the hair grow to CHINA!) she could spread the grooms out a little more and instead of paying $65 every 4-6 weeks, she could spend $100 every 12 and save $$ in the long run!! Well... it makes sense to ME anyway! :)

My goal is to keep my Lucybug neat, clean and trim in between pro grooms. That way, when I take her in she won't be as much of a ragamuffin as Meau was yesterday!! I'm not planning on such an elaborate design as Meau has either, so hopefully my pro grooms won't be in the $100 range, but if they are it will definitely pay for me to do the "in-between" ones myself!! Here's "Her Royal Highness Chasing Chalumeau's Sweet Etude Fancy Pants Plum"... (and I sneaked in a couple of Lucybug, too! Funny how moms can do that!!) :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
How cute! Before I was grooming Harry by myself his face used to look like Meau's all of the time. I think your idea is great!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
She is beautiful! (The both are.)

I'm confused as to why it would cost more, if she isn't matted. Maybe some of the groomers could chime in.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Aww they both look great.

WOW 65 bucks for that trim is a SUPER AWSOME price, 100.00 is a super awsome price. I've never done that trim for under 130.00 so I think she's getting a steal. If you stretch a groom out like you suggested I would for sure raise your price because it's more work and more hair to deal with, that would be true for any dog.
My fancier trims like that have to come in every 3-4 mim for at least an inbetwween type groom. If you're daughter's groomer lets her get away with going 12 weeks between grooms and only charges 100 bucks for all the extra scissoring on the jacket then I'd say you've found yourself a a real gem and you'd better stay with her LoL. :) I can't even find somebody in my area to shave my poodle down for under 75 dollars. I'm saving up for when I am to big and round to do it myself. My buddy who was going to do it for free makes me nervous now so I'll just pay to have it done.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
you and your daughter both have BEAUTIFUL pups ^_^

I can't wait to share photos of Elphie after her groom next week sometime
I had a long list of questions to ask groomers and FINALLY
one groomer in my area actually answered all ((15)) the questions to my satisfaction

I feel pretty devoted to my dog that I spent all morning on the phone with groomers xD

but again Meau looks GOREGOUS
=]]

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Keithsomething!! :) We love our girls!

Congratuations (and GOOD JOB) on finding a trustworthy groomer! Make sure your camera batteries are charged for pictures after Elphie's been "beautified"! When is her appointment??

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
we aren't sure the exact day, my mom is having a really hectic week next week so it might be next week or it might be the following week =\
but I will definitely post photos of her

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
definitely, $100 is pretty cheap for a modified continental on a spoo, so you certainly were lucky to get two @ $65! hehe

Why does it cost so much and take so long? cos of the presicion in clipping the nekkid butt, and then the whole front half of the dog is generally scissored. all over. by hand. That takes a long time to get right! Even if a snap on comb is used to set the length, it takes a lot longer than using a plain blade cos ya need to go back over the coat many more times with a snap on comb than with a blade, and it still needs a lot of finishing by hand with scissors.

As a rule, spoos, even with a fairly short clip all over, small scissored head & tail, clean face feet & tail stalk, will still take twice as long to do than a normal lil dog we get in. Add in ANY scissoring to the body or legs and the time quickly goes up, let alone setting a pattern into the butt...

And definitely, I'd be charging more if it came in 12 weekly rather than 4 weekly. Or flat out refusing to do it cos to honestly charge what it's worth, I'm still usually better doing multiple little dogs...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
this is why I need to learn to groom myself! tell your daughter to get practising!! :) Meau and Lucy look fab! and so happy together!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeaah, $65 for that cut? woo! gotta deal!
I'd certainly agree with the $100 for it though...as was mentioned, its TONS of scissoring, shaping, combs, brushing ect ect @[email protected]

$65 is the cost of a shave-down (or one length all over) in my area, for those who want specific cuts it goes up from there..$100 is about right.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Aww, the girls are just gorgeous and wow, $65 for that hair cut is a steal!!! Here in San Francisco, a basic clip on a standard will run $90 to $125 depending on a groomer and anything else is way, way more!!!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I love the haircuts! I live in Arkansas and it would cost me up to $45 just for a basic sporting clip on my toys. That is why I learned how to groom my dogs myself.

·
Registered
562 Posts
He looks like a lot of work but i still wouldnt charge $100....maybe $80. His TK is still long and his pom poms dont look finished....i say you find a new groomer who complains less and charges less.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
and his pom poms dont look finished....
Maybe I'm not sure what finished pompoms are supposed to look like?? What would make them be more finished? Oh and Meau is a girl... :)

I've told my daughter that she should practice gooming on her own - Even if Meau doesn't look perfect to start with, as Katy gets better, she may be able to keep this cut looking at least this good... Or maybe she'll find another, simpler cut that she likes, too.

Katy keeps telling me she's afraid to scissor anything in case it ends up looking bad - but I remind her that it'll all grow back and then she'll get to practice again!! :) (and again and again and again!)

I'm looking forward to practicing on Lucy - she said she's willing to be my guinea pig as long as I give her treats and stuff :) She may look a little funny as I learn and get better - but she'll always be beautiful to me! And you can bet I'll be posting pictures and getting critiques from members here - what better way to learn than by doing??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts