Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, been busy so haven't posted any pics lately of my girls but have been taking pics... of course! LOL

I call this.... My Oreo Cookie dogs!
[/IMG]

Grace: "Chantel.. No, lift your head, stand straighter!"
Chantel (smiling back): "OOppps, I forgot to leave one foot on the ground!"
[/IMG]

La,la,lalala, la, lala Waltzing in the snow, sooo much fun!
[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
"Come and Get ME!
[/IMG]

"Talk to the paw, man, talk to the paw!!"
[/IMG]

Are you sure there is a whole dog behind Chantel??
[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is what happens when the dogs go out and play in 1 degree weather with the wind blowing. Snow sticks everywhere....LOL. And, no, they were not in a rush to go in.... you'd think so, but they sure were enjoying themselves. I made them come in as I didn't want any frostbit parts on them!!!

The wind was blowing hard.. you can see their coats all flowing in one direction in the breeze. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
You really have dreamy dogs!

When I see pictures of poodles like this I imagine wildlife - with music.........something powerful with bass, but slow and intense and beautiful. When poodles are off leash and open running it's really calming and mesmerizing. They really are amazing looking dogs.

Back to reality! Great shots and I LOVE the Oreo Cookie dogs. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I don't know about Dianne but I don't worry about damage. Billy and Taffy's coats are in good shape and get extra care because we allow them to be dogs and have fun. It is the price we pay for their good time. LOL

Now, if it were mud and gravel; that would be a whole other story!! Spring is going to be an unhappy time in this house me thinks.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are having a great time, but don't you worry about them ripping at each other's show coats?
Well, to be honest, I do a bit. But, I can't not let them play. I monitor them when they are all out together playing and stop them if one pulls on the others coat, but mostly they just mock fight without grabbing coats. I realize that just letting them jump around on the ground or snow and romping like that is not the best thing for their coats, but I enjoy it when my dogs are enjoying themselves. I am sure it will take longer to get their coats to grow really long, but I do make sure that they are bathed weekly with leave in conditioner at the end of the bath to help protect their coats. I just could not feel right if I did not allow them to have fun every once in a while. So, it will take me longer to grow them out, I'm sure. But, they are growing.

Normally, for potty outs, they go out separately. All outside play is monitored. But I understand your concern. :) On hikes, not just outside play time, they are too busy running around checking things out and don't romp on each other like that, but with all the snow, it will be a few months before we get to hike again. :(

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I don't know how anyone could possibly keep them from playing, regardless of any desire to grow coat, I mean, just look at the fun and joy they are having! I love it! I too, limit Paris to some degree cos I don't want her coat broken to shreds, but at the same time they LOVE to play and ya can't stop a dog from having all fun. hehe.

Awesome pics!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
My dogs romp and play and hike et al but I have found that the rough housing with the play biting just shreds show coats especially that coveted hair on the back of the neck.

I teach a command we call "Get a Baby" (my kids are sure that someday the police will be called by the neighbors). This means that they need to pick up a stuffed toy and bite, tug, run around with it. This keeps them from biting at each other. Still they have to be supervised or they will eventually drop the toy and go back to biting.

How old is the Blue? Are you going with the HCC or do you plan to grow it out into a full continental?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
That's a good idea. I will have to start teaching them to do that. My two mainly pretend fight. I've yet to see one pull coat out of the other. I think I would cry if I saw them do that.

Grace is grey and she is 15-months old, same as Billy. Dianne had clipped her top back when she was younger before deciding that she wanted to show so Grace is a bit behind. Billy's top knot and neck is much longer and thicker and he is a blue. He is also Grace's brother. They will both be in full continental.

I am now banding Billy and Taffy religiously unless we go out for our one day out a week. I put them up on that day for the public to see. They are just beside themselves over dogs that look so beautiful, confident, and regal. They are good ambassadors.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My dogs romp and play and hike et al but I have found that the rough housing with the play biting just shreds show coats especially that coveted hair on the back of the neck.
Yeah, that is the area (as well as the ears) that are my most concern. If any dog grabs another ones coat, it is normally the back of the neck or the ear hair. I have taught them the "leave it" command so if I see any, and it is normally Chantel that is the culprit, grabbing coat, I call out the dog's name and command "leave it" and the dog will let go and back off the game for a few seconds. Chantel is getting much, much better about not grabbing the coat but just mouth playing.

I teach a command we call "Get a Baby" (my kids are sure that someday the police will be called by the neighbors). This means that they need to pick up a stuffed toy and bite, tug, run around with it. This keeps them from biting at each other. Still they have to be supervised or they will eventually drop the toy and go back to biting.
LOL... I LOVE that idea, I am going to have to give that a try. Yeah, I can see where that might sound PRETTY BAD if the neighbors hear you yelling that....LOL!!! :pound:

How old is the Blue? Are you going with the HCC or do you plan to grow it out into a full continental?
As Deb said, she is 15 months old. She is a definitely gray colored. She had a silver color in her muzzle when she was 8 weeks old, but not the real light silver. It is difficult to capture her real color in photos, but she is gray with silver in her ear hair and shoulders and bracelets, definitely no blue hue to her at all. She is definitely not going to be anywhere near a platinum but is continually getting lighter.

I want to go with AKC and grow her full continental. As Deb mentioned, I clipped her whole body short when she was 6 months old, was thinking more along the obedience and agility at the time, so she is really doing well with growing her hair considering. She has a wonderful crisp, dense proper poodle coat which I love. I still plan on obedience and agility with her. She is EXTREMELY fast and agile! I have started her obedience training and she is learning fast.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I love these pictures. I also monitor my dogs when they are playing. I tried to separate them, but I decided they needed some fun time. If they start getting rough, then I take the one I am showing and put her in a separate room. She can still see throught the baby gate into the living area. How do you teach one to drop something you don't want them to have?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I use the command "drop it". When they are first learning, I usually have to remove the item from their mouth, put it on the ground/floor, while saying drop it. When they do it correctly, they are rewarded with a favorite threat and lots of praise. It doesn't take them long to learn to drop it. We have had to do the same thing with our two older spoos with "leave it'! They seem to have a cat obsession so both had to be taught to 'leave it'. They learned it quickly and know immediately what you want when you say it to them. It is kind of funny to watch them walk away reluctantly, looking over their shoulders and the kitty they so desperately want to shadow. LOL

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I love these pictures. I also monitor my dogs when they are playing. I tried to separate them, but I decided they needed some fun time. If they start getting rough, then I take the one I am showing and put her in a separate room. She can still see throught the baby gate into the living area. How do you teach one to drop something you don't want them to have?
I have a gate in every door in my house!!! :wacko: They are either keeping someone in or someone out!! LOL But they do the job well. The biggest adjustment was for my husband who had to get used to opening and CLOSING gates so they serve they purpose!! Geesh!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Yeah, that is the area (as well as the ears) that are my most concern. If any dog grabs another ones coat, it is normally the back of the neck or the ear hair.
Exactly.

BTW.... Are you banding ears? I've found that if I want to grow long show ears, I have to keep my ears banded or even better wrapped 24X7. Otherwise they get frazzled and the ends break off and they never grow.

As Deb said, she is 15 months old. She is a definitely gray colored. She had a silver color in her muzzle when she was 8 weeks old, but not the real light silver. It is difficult to capture her real color in photos, but she is gray with silver in her ear hair and shoulders and bracelets, definitely no blue hue to her at all. She is definitely not going to be anywhere near a platinum but is continually getting lighter.
I would still call this color Blue. It looks to be a beautiful example of a true dark blue that is that gun-metal grey or pewter color. I have usually seen the color "Grey" used to refer to highly grizzled bad Blacks and she is certainly NOT that color.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Ahh, your dogs are BEAUTIFUL! They are so gorgeous and they look like they're having a blast in the snow. They just make me smile :) (wish we'd get some snow over here... I know Desmond would go bananas for it haha)

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
They look like they are having a blast lol
But be careful with the snow. When we got enzo we had to shave him down since most of his coat was damaged from the snow.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What wonderful pics! My favorite time is when my poos are outside playing! They make me laugh! Your guys look like they are having a blast and getting great exercise! I loved the pics!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts