Poodle Forum banner

My girl earned her MXP!

3K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Carolinek 
#1 ·
The description of this category specifically mentions bragging, so...

We bagged our 10th Standard Masters Preferred Q in agility. We also had 3 NQs during the weekend; that was due to handler error and/or someone taking off too early and thumping the bar with her fluffy tail. Team effort all the way around. :)

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Aw, thanks, everyone! I was pleased. Some of the runs were recorded, and I can see many areas for improvement. That's one thing I love about agility--so much to learn!

Discussion starter · #13 ·
Scout got her first double Q this weekend! We had a nice little standard run. I was where she needed me to be, she responded to my cues. Lovely. Our jumpers run was clean, but not great. I got lost in a pinwheel, but Scout took the jump anyway. Then I did an awkward rear cross and we were back on track. Made it with 3 seconds to spare! I was super excited, I never thought we would double Q!

The next day we returned to form with a missed weave entry in standard and a clean run in jumpers that was 3 seconds too slow. Even so, there were some nice blind crosses in there. And as usual, I have several things to work on--speed in the weaves, tighter turns, etc.

Discussion starter · #15 ·
Two more Qualifying runs with my girl! We had one of our most consistent weekends. Saturday we had two nice runs. Q in Standard, but dropped a bar in Jumpers. She takes off early, so I think this will become more frequent. I have decided to continue working jump grids with her, but not stress out when she drops bars during a trial. Naturally this is easier said than done, but I was pleased with her Saturday runs. Sunday we had a Q in Jumpers on a very nice open course. The big galloping dogs loved it. We had a nice Standard run going until I messed her up a bit and she had a refusal and a missed contact. I think I can fix that. She stayed with me on the courses, no sniffing, no wandering. I thought my handling was solid (except for one or two spots). Overall I left with a smile.

Discussion starter · #17 ·
We've competed in a couple trials since my last update. She bagged another double Q a few weeks ago. This weekend we earned a Q in Standard. It was a slow but steady sort of run. In Jumpers I decided to try a rear cross because we had been practicing them in the back yard for a month. Sigh, chalk up a refusal on an otherwise nice run. My fault. I'll save the new moves for runs that NQ'd early. But it was a good day overall.

Discussion starter · #18 ·
I got up the nerve to enter my girl in a Premier Standard class. I described this to my son as "something designed for teams that are bored by the normal classes." I've wanted to try this for a year or so, but frankly we are not up to that level. Except...we earned a Q! 😃 Not fast, not flashy, just steady. And then we proceeded to NQ in every other run that weekend. 🤷‍♀️ I love this sport. On the last day the 20 inch border collies were laying down some amazing runs, 22 seconds and clean. It was so much fun to watch (by comparison, we NQ'd with two refusals and 55 seconds).

Discussion starter · #22 ·
We've continued to do runnings and jumpings! From the low--dog jumped out of the ring, twice in one day :mad:--to the high--Qualifying runs in 3 out of 4 tries in the next trial and the one we missed was my fault :)--we're still having a blast. I think we have 22 standard Qs and 8 jumper Qs. Clearly speed is an issue for us. :D At practice sometimes I run fast dogs, totally different skill set. Still dreaming about dog 2, even while loving my current girl. I think my husband is resigned to the idea but would prefer one dog at a time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.