Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has almost hit freezing so everyone was willing to stay out longer than 2 minutes so I took some pics! Casey, Daisy and Ginger had a blast! There are some pics of Piggy and Sophie, too!

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sophie is feeling much better...more interested in her surroundings and following my oldest son around constantly. I took in a fecal to the vet this morning and got some more Drontal Plus. He should be calling me anytime to let me know if I need to give it to her...I didn't see anything in it, but that doesn't mean much.

I just dropped off her poo and he just took a quick look at her, he says she looks much better than 2 weeks ago and you can see and feel the difference in her weight. The issue for this week is that she is shedding a TON of hair off the top of her muzzle. I will try to get a picture of it but from the top of her nose back to almost her eyes the hair is all falling out. We both just figure its due to stress, but I think I will do some research and see if adult female Affies tend to loose that hair when they drop coat. I have a sneaking feeling that Sophie may have been in heat when she first arrived. Even though I never saw her bleed and she only looked slightly swollen "down there" for just a few days just means she may have been in "standing heat."

She jumped up on Hubby a couple of times her 2nd day here and I swear she looked like she was going to mount him...but she never did, thank goodness. She just jumped up and actually put her legs over his shoulders and pulled him down toward her, but them would jump away...much like a female dog trying to entice a male.

I know even females try to establish dominance and such, but she has not tried anything like that since then. I do know that after a female affie is "in season" they tend to drop their coat...so the hair loss on her nose makes me wonder even more.

All that funny behavior stopped and I don't know if it was our stern NOs or if she simply didn't have the "urge" to act up anymore.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Such fun playing out in the snow! :D

Sophie is going to be gorgeous when you get her into
tip top shape and her coat looking silky and long, she's already
very beautiful! :)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Her coat already feels so much softer then when she first arrived, and oh boy did she smell bad. Of course she smells and feels tons better now! The vet just called and said he found some hookworms but the round and tape worms seem to be gone...so he said to wait until Friday and give her another Drontal Plus pill.

He thinks that this treatment should do it, and that over the next 2 weeks I might see another increase in her appetite. She eats fine now, but we both think she could still use to gain a few more pounds so that you can only feel her rib cage though her coat...not every single rib poking out through her sparse coat.

He said that even if she had been eating all she should that all the worms were not letting her have all the nutrition...so with them TOTALLY gone she should gain weight much faster. Absorbing more nutrients will in turn make her hair grow in faster and stronger...worms and parasites are such nasty little buggers!

·
Registered
419 Posts
The dogs look like they're having such fun in the snow. Glad to hear that Sophie is continuing to get better.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The dogs look like they're having such fun in the snow. Glad to hear that Sophie is continuing to get better.
They were even more playful outside today...it is a little bit warmer today. They are all having blast and that is great...they were definately getting cabin fever from being cooped up inside for 2 days without getting at least a 15 minute walk.

They did laps in the yard for about 30 minutes this morning and even after a 1/2 mile jog (took Casey and Sophie this time) Sophie still wanted to go further but Casey was TIRED!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great pics! What a crew you have there and they all look so happy.
You have no idea how many times I hear..."how many dogs do you have" or "How do you live with all these dogs" or something along that line.

All I can say is I am not quite sure how to live WITHOUT "all these dogs!" They keep me busy, healthy, and provide tons of entertainment for me and my children.

If I thought for a second they would be happier in the home/situation they came from...I would return them. If I thought they would be happier in another home, I would re-home them.

My "true" friends are the ones who actually come to see the dogs...but they don't mind talking to us humans, too!

I think my crew are about the happiest bunch of dogs around...but that is probably because so many of them came from bad situations...

I like to think it is because they are well fed, exercised, get affection along with mental stimulation and MOST important of all...they are really and truly wanted just for being them, not for what they can produce or what they can win! I think their amount of happiness is directly related to the amount of love they receive and love comes in many different forms!

I think my favorite saying was to a friend of my mother-in-law who came over one day...he asked "how do you feed all these dogs?" He had been complaining about them following him around, and licking him while he did some electrical work...so this is what I told him.

"Well, they only eat a-holes, and only once a day...if one takes a bite out of you, let me know! I will know they are hungry!":bootyshake:

I have a sign that says..."This house belongs to the dogs, you are a guest, but they say who stays and goes!"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts