Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's almost 3months since we rescued our standard poodle.

And she has been great except, she loves trash, paper, cardboard boxes and when we go to the dog park and let her run... she poops and eats it... I have no time to go after her(she can out run me...) and pick up the poop..

I am worried if she will get sick eating all that junk..

is it a poodle thing? or.. is it just her..?

how could I get her to stop all these weird behaviours..?

we have 2 other dogs that never had such problems..

it is worrying me and my wife. please help us.!

·
Registered
912 Posts
I am not sure about the poop but T loves paper, cardboard, toilet roll holders. I thought for a start it was cause he was teething and just liked the different texture, he has all his adult teeth now and still love it so not sure anymore.

·
Registered
329 Posts
When I first got Sam the vet told me standard poodles are notorious for eating stuff they shouldn't. Sam also prefers paper products; paper, books, cardboard, MONEY, all that stuff. He has never eaten poop but there is stuff you can buy to put on their food that is suppose to stop them from eating there poo. I guess it makes it taste really bad, wouldn't think that would need help, LOL, but I guess it works.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I never really knew what time I needed to get on to actually talk with someone outside Oz. Sometime I post and it seems like a long time before someone answers - that's cause your all in bed :biggrin:

·
Registered
912 Posts
Thursday night, nearly Friday morning. I have a day off work tomorrow so sitting in bed with my laptop catching up on what I've missed and there is a lot :smile:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well.. Guess what I got up to this morning,

She ate my wallet, big chunk of it.. driver's lic., credit, debit, health insurance card, money and more got shredded..

I am losing patient...

·
Registered
627 Posts
I feel lucky. Max isn't into chewing at all. Every now and then he grabs a spoon from the dishwasher and takes it into the backyard to lick off the food. Still, the more exercise he gets, the less mischief we see! Right now the weather is bad and he's not getting much exercise. : (

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Ginger,
teddy and CAssie are all eaters of paper etc. Ginger will take anything she can so I will pay attention to her to get it back! the poop - they never eat their own or each others - thank goodness - but if I take her in the woods Ginger will definitey eat filth! ugh! So I donj't take her anymore! lol

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
It sounds like she is board ;) How much exercise and training does she get a day?

With the poop eating, it could be caused by lost of things but unless she learned it from another dog then it would more then likely be that she is not digesting her food properly or what she is eating is not of a good quality.

Good luck! :D

·
Registered
554 Posts
Ahh yes some of my poodles do like to dine at the backyard buffet from time to time! I think you notice it more in females due to maternal instincts, but that is just my personal theory to it.

The stuff is called something that sounds like Prohibit...but you have to be committed to it for it to work! I gave up after 5 days of having to add it to everyone's food, and I think they thought it was flavor enhancer because some of them ate it even more!

My poodles only get into paper if they are bored or if we leave and don't put it away. The best thing is prevention...act like she is a 2 yrs old that is part monkey and go through and poodle proof your house.

We have to resort to baby gates to keep our poodles out of the bathrooms while we are gone. That is where we keep the litter boxes so we put up 2 gates one on top of the other and the cats jump it like its nothing. I warn you to get the gates with metal grating...because even my toy poodles can chew through a plastic one in a matter of an hour or 2! If you see baby gates in my pics...look close and laugh and my mistakes...becuase all but 1 of 5 gates has a holes just bog enough for a poodle to squeeze through in it! :banghead:

Hang in there! Remember they are a smart breed and you just have to be creative to "out-smart" them! :high5:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We give her about 30 minute walk. and 30 minute free run at the park.

because of the brutal weather, in the winter we can't do so much exercise....

Our house is all poodle proofed... but sometimes me and my wife make mistakes... and the dog does not give us a break...

But I guess we will be more strict!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts