Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been many conversations here about unleashed dogs. I live in western North Carolina near the Blue Ridge Parkway. Yes, there are leash laws here. Dogs must be on leash on all trails in all jurisdictions. Dogs must be on leash in every one of public parks here.

Walking a trail this morning a man with a small mixed breed was coming from the other direction. His dog was not on leash. He said as they got closer, "My dog doesn't need a leash. She's friendly. " !!! I said to him, "It's the law. That way everyone can enjoy the trail." He didn't respond to me. He told his dog to "heel," and shook his head.

My toy poodle weighs 8 lbs. She's never met a dog or human who wasn't in her estimation, a potential best friend. But it's my responsibility to protect her. Sure she's had plenty of obedience training, and we were working toward her CD when the virus threw the world into chaos But do I think she would dash after a squirrel or rabbit on the trail before I stopped her? Sure thing! And why should I have to protect her from someone else's loose dog?

Just as important, I have no right to allow my dog to do what she wants. She's not likely to make the best decisions on her own, even though she's a poodle. Some people are delighted to see a cute poodle. Others simply want to enjoy being outside. They all have the same rights to be on the parks and the trails that I do. So, we walk on leash. She loves it. She's safe. Everyone can enjoy!

Any suggestions about what else to say to these idiots with their unleashed dogs in the parks IMG_2092.JPG ?

·
Registered
272 Posts
There have been many conversations here about unleashed dogs. I live in western North Carolina near the Blue Ridge Parkway. Yes, there are leash laws here. Dogs must be on leash on all trails in all jurisdictions. Dogs must be on leash in every one of public parks here.

Walking a trail this morning a man with a small mixed breed was coming from the other direction. His dog was not on leash. He said as they got closer, "My dog doesn't need a leash. She's friendly. " !!! I said to him, "It's the law. That way everyone can enjoy the trail." He didn't respond to me. He told his dog to "heel," and shook his head.

My toy poodle weighs 8 lbs. She's never met a dog or human who wasn't in her estimation, a potential best friend. But it's my responsibility to protect her. Sure she's had plenty of obedience training, and we were working toward her CD when the virus threw the world into chaos But do I think she would dash after a squirrel or rabbit on the trail before I stopped her? Sure thing! And why should I have to protect her from someone else's loose dog?

Just as important, I have no right to allow my dog to do what she wants. She's not likely to make the best decisions on her own, even though she's a poodle. Some people are delighted to see a cute poodle. Others simply want to enjoy being outside. They all have the same rights to be on the parks and the trails that I do. So, we walk on leash. She loves it. She's safe. Everyone can enjoy!

Any suggestions about what else to say to these idiots with their unleashed dogs in the parks View attachment 468020 ?
I live in the same neck of the woods!

·
Registered
272 Posts
There’s always gonna b ‘that person’ who thinks their dog is exception to the rule 🙄 meanwhile the rest of us follow the rules and do our responsibilities. If it’s not his property they r suppose to b leashed. My neighbor has an intact black lab. He’s come after me and Teddy twice and I had to grab teddy up and run. Once was at night. This same dog as a puppy would charge my kids and myself. My husband has been down there numerous times and they say the same thing..he just wants to play. 🙄 snarling and stiff tail is not playful posture sir! Had to call animal control. Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do whether that ‘friendly or neighborly’. U gotta watch out for u and yours PERIOD!!

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
When my Chihuahua was still alive, there was a neighbor who sometimes walked past us with her obese (and sadly young) labrador. When she saw us, she would make the leash loose so her dog could come and greet my dog, saying « he’s friendly, he just wants to say hi » or something like that. It made me really mad, because her 80 pounds dog could have caused severe injuries to my 4 pounds Chi.

So I would tell her « it doesn’t matter if your dog is friendly, if he steps on my dog, she will be severely injured and might even die ». It took 2-3 times, the last one with me being mad and not so polite, before she finally stopped.

People have to understand It’s not about their dog, it’s about other people’s dogs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When my Chihuahua was still alive, there was a neighbor who sometimes walked past us with her obese (and sadly young) labrador. When she saw us, she would make the leash loose so her dog could come and greet my dog, saying « he’s friendly, he just wants to say hi » or something like that. It made me really mad, because her 80 pounds dog could have caused severe injuries to my 4 pounds Chi.

So I would tell her « it doesn’t matter if your dog is friendly, if he steps on my dog, she will be severely injured and might even die ». It took 2-3 times, the last one with me being mad and not so polite, before she finally stopped.

People have to understand It’s not about their dog, it’s about other people’s dogs.
Yes. It's about common decency. I think people who have never had a small dog don't understand the danger to the little dog. We have to keep educating them, for sure. (I've had big dogs, and this is not my first small dog.)

But, it's also about the law! There is no law that, "Friendly dogs can be off-leash."

·
Registered
407 Posts
You are always going to have people who won't obey the rules. I've had numerous "discussions" with people who have their dogs off-leash in areas where there are leash rules and you usually get nowhere. If they are going to allow their dogs off-leash in the first place when they know they shouldn't, you know they don't care. I don't ever go to dog parks and go to places with leash rules in effect on the theory that people will have their dogs under control. I'm tired of the "he's friendly" mindset too. Doesn't matter if he is, I don't want your strange dog in my dogs' faces when I am walking them on lead. I had one of mine grabbed by a dog last year that was off-leash and had to break up the fight that started when my dog defended herself. And the other dog was the one that would have been the loser if I didn't have control over my dog. The owner didn't even care, did not hurry over to get his dog, and when he did, didn't even have the courtesy to apologize. So now I carry dog repellent with me most of the time and although I would be sorry to have to use it on another dog, I won't hesitate to do so if needed to keep my dogs safe.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Ugggghh. We have a similar problem here, where people let their dog run the whole length of the retractable leash, and then refuse to move to allow other people to pass by, taking up the whole 10 ft wide trail! The few people I have met with off-leash dogs always put their dogs back on the leash or grab their collar while we pass. I honestly prefer them to the retractable leash people, so long as the dog doesn’t come up to me. I’ve gotten my legs burnt by one of those leashes before (luckily, I didn’t have a dog with me, or it could have been worse), and it hurt like crazy for days!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Dogs r animals! I know I’m throwing out pearls here but as much as your dog is trained u never know when something triggers him or her. Thus the leash! It’s for everyone’s safety! If I had a little dog I’d b on high alert. A small dog can seem like prey to a bigger dog. Leash em up people!

·
Registered
341 Posts
My dogs are well trained, but I am very conscious about calling him back to the heel and staying there if we meet someone, horses or people. I clip the leash on if it is a horse because I just don't know- they are very interesting. The rescues are always on leash, usually 20 feet. An adult should understand that not everyone wants to meet and greet their dog. People will usually say something if they want to be friendly with your dog.

My neighbor let his two big Labs loose because they live in the country and dogs shouldn't be confined. Yea, but Labs are hunting dogs and his dogs ran loose on everyone's property, including mine where they killed my chickens (playfully). One day one was shot because he was a mile from home and playfully killing a group of caged rabbits- the 8 year old boy was very upset about loosing his bunnies.

·
Premium Member
23,379 Posts
Dianaleez I'm with you on what I say. The encounter of a leashed and a loose dog is always fraught with potential disasters and is generally exceedingly to the advantage of the loose dog. I know for certain I could call Lily away from virtually anything if she was off leash, but why take a chance? Lily and Javelin together off leash, well I am not entirely sure about that scenario. I can call them off my chickens even if it is the two of them, but the two of them and a running cat or bunny in the street...well the way people drive in my neighborhood I would not bet on the outcome since they egg each other on in the yard and I suspect they would not pay attention if their play took them off the lawn. That would be a black day in my life.

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
We have a similar problem here, where people let their dog run the whole length of the retractable leash, and then refuse to move to allow other people to pass by, taking up the whole 10 ft wide trail! The few people I have met with off-leash dogs always put their dogs back on the leash or grab their collar while we pass. I honestly prefer them to the retractable leash people, so long as the dog doesn’t come up to me.
This is common courtesy as well. I have Merlin on a six foot leash and Beckie on a retractable leash. Whenever we meet someone, I retract the leash to about 4 feet. She’s never allowed to meet or even sniff anyone, let alone dogs. Retractable leashes are a blessing for active dogs who need more than a simple walk, but you need to know how to use them and they’re certainly not for everyone.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are always going to have people who won't obey the rules. I've had numerous "discussions" with people who have their dogs off-leash in areas where there are leash rules and you usually get nowhere. If they are going to allow their dogs off-leash in the first place when they know they shouldn't, you know they don't care. I don't ever go to dog parks and go to places with leash rules in effect on the theory that people will have their dogs under control. I'm tired of the "he's friendly" mindset too. Doesn't matter if he is, I don't want your strange dog in my dogs' faces when I am walking them on lead. I had one of mine grabbed by a dog last year that was off-leash and had to break up the fight that started when my dog defended herself. And the other dog was the one that would have been the loser if I didn't have control over my dog. The owner didn't even care, did not hurry over to get his dog, and when he did, didn't even have the courtesy to apologize. So now I carry dog repellent with me most of the time and although I would be sorry to have to use it on another dog, I won't hesitate to do so if needed to keep my dogs safe.

Yes. Repellent.. Another small dog I had was attacked by an off-leash dog. If I had pepper spray that day, the owner and the dog would have been sprayed.

I am sooo tired of this.On trails, you can't always see long distances to know who is approaching. I'm willing to shock a stupid dog owner.

There are also bears in these woods. Which is another reason repellent might be a good idea.

Has anyone in the PF community used a repellent spray?

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Well ..Once when I was walking a boxer a friendly lab got away from her owner and was headed for us. The owner yelled ahead..no worries she is friendly, I yelled back..mine isn't and he will bite her. Never saw anyone run so fast to catch their dog. I use to carry a pet convincer, just a little one that can emit a puff of air, had the same thing happen only this time the guy was on a bike and the dog ran up to my leg...I squirted it with a puff of air (not iin face) it was m ore like the sound psst.that startled it. He gave me a really mean look, I simply say well it was only a puff of air and if you don't like it control your dog. I unfortunately no longer have patience to wait for someone to control their dog. So my answer to those "oh he is friendly" is always mine is not and if he grabs your dog, there won't be much I can do.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well ..Once when I was walking a boxer a friendly lab got away from her owner and was headed for us. The owner yelled ahead..no worries she is friendly, I yelled back..mine isn't and he will bite her. Never saw anyone run so fast to catch their dog. I use to carry a pet convincer, just a little one that can emit a puff of air, had the same thing happen only this time the guy was on a bike and the dog ran up to my leg...I squirted it with a puff of air (not iin face) it was m ore like the sound psst.that startled it. He gave me a really mean look, I simply say well it was only a puff of air and if you don't like it control your dog. I unfortunately no longer have patience to wait for someone to control their dog. So my answer to those "oh he is friendly" is always mine is not and if he grabs your dog, there won't be much I can do.
The "mine is not friendly" is fine for a medium to large dog. My poodle is 10.5 inches and weighs 8 lbs. A "friendly" lab, boxer or spoo could easily injure my poodle, or I could be injured trying to stop an aggressive or "too playful" attack. (Been there. Another story)

There is really no reason, excuse, or platitude that justifies having a dog off-leash on public park trails. It's not a dog park, it's not even "the neighborhood." It's just obnoxious.

Chewy sells pepper spray and citronella spray. Pepper spray is nasty stuff, but I'm going to be prepared.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts