Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you moderators for starting this forum! I found it, then couldn't find it again, and now have found it again!

Here is my current conundrum with Jupiter, who will, God willing, be 15 in three weeks.

Jupiter is a gentle, mellow soul and always has been. He's very accepting of things, and does not generally protest, but also likes his routine.

He jumped off the bed a few months ago, necessitating a visit to the emergency vet -- I thought he'd broken his front leg.

He hadn't, but it was clear to me that the time for letting him sleep on the bed (which is a low platform bed), even with pillows around it for old dogs rolling off (which the late Hecuba used to do) was over.

So I put a large-ish crate in the bedroom. He didn't like it but he's been sleeping there for a few months. If he's in it, he tends to get a bit agitated at night and I let him out in the yard to pee, then to the kitchen to drink water.

A few days ago I experimented and let him sleep outside the crate. He seemed happy, and slept in several places, including by the door, so I put some of his cushions there. Last night he spent part of the time in his crate with the door open. But he sleeps through the night, or at least, doesn't wake me up. Bliss.

BUT now he wants on the bed. Pericles and I are up there. But I don't dare, and I don't want him jumping up during the night (not sure he could). The problem is, he'd try to jump off. (Jupiter is a nocturnal nomad.)

No crate: danger of getting on the bed.
Crate: he's unhappy and rattles it sometimes during the night.

Any creative solutions?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it possible for him to just not be in the bedroom at night or is that a no go?
Oh dear, he's always slept in the bedroom, and gone off during the night if I leave the door open. Don't think I could make such a big change now, given his age; and don't trust Pericles loose with Jupiter, as Pericles might want to play which can overwhelm Jupiter when not supervised.

My boy sleeps in a soft crate not so noisy as wire. Sleeping on a futon? You can all share that
Yes, the soft crate! Thank you! I have one for Pericles which Jupiter could use. It is nice and big.

As far as a futon goes, it is truly a great idea, and I am sure it would work. Here's the problem: will you come and help me get up in the AM? My arthritic knees would need some help...

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it worked well with steps for a few years. But then Jupiter started jumping off the bed...as he did when he was young. Since that happened while I was asleep, I couldn't monitor it.

I think he was being forgetful. He has fairly major memory lapses frequently, such as forgetting to poo in the yard, getting on the deck, and doing it there...

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I think the soft crate is the best thing to try for now. If it works, great! If he's still really restless and you're not getting enough sleep, perhaps he could sleep in a different room. I know you'd prefer not to do that, but you need your sleep!

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
A couple of possible solutions that might or might not work for you:

1. Can you get rid of your platform bed (temporarily) and just put the mattress on the floor?

OR

2. Put a couple of big orthopedic foam dog beds on the floor next to your side of the bed. When you go to bed, settle Jupiter in on the dog beds, next to you. Try to teach him that this is his place to sleep. If he tries to get on your bed, gently push him off. It might help to have him on a 6 or 8 foot leash that is tied to one corner of the bed on the side that you sleep on. So he couldn't get on the bed without you noticing, and he is pretty much restricted to the dog bed(s) and the area immediately surrounding them.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A couple of possible solutions that might or might not work for you:

2. Put a couple of big orthopedic foam dog beds on the floor next to your side of the bed. When you go to bed, settle Jupiter in on the dog beds, next to you. Try to teach him that this is his place to sleep. If he tries to get on your bed, gently push him off. It might help to have him on a 6 or 8 foot leash that is tied to one corner of the bed on the side that you sleep on. So he couldn't get on the bed without you noticing, and he is pretty much restricted to the dog bed(s) and the area immediately surrounding them.
This is an interesting idea...keep him close, where he wants to be, with a bit of mobility, and where he can't jump without my knowing.

Yet another way that elderly dogs are like puppies!

The bed on the floor worked for me when I was a student, and while the idea of a continuous surface for Jupiter is appealing, I just don't think I could face mornings...it's not a super thick mattress, just 10 inches of latex...

And zooeysmom, you read the subtext. I am definitely sleep deprived. I will do the soft crate tonight before organising dog beds next to the big bed.

·
3,110 Posts
How about some steps for him ? You can buy them at your local pet store. Not expensive and handy.

I'm also suggesting steps. We had three of them. Two for around the bed, and one for the couch. The dogs loved them. If you have a hubby or someone in the family who has a knack for making things, it wouldn't be very hard. My DH made ours. Pretty easy to make, or you can buy them. But it sure does help for the older dogs.

·
3,110 Posts
I should have read ahead, sorry. But yes, I agree with the others about using a soft crate. :)

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
I have carpeted steps next to the bed, but if he is used to jumping off, he might still do that despite the steps.
How gig is he? I have had Trulee sleeping in a carrier on the nightstand next to the bed with open bars on the side so that we can see each other, and it works fine.
ImageUploadedByPG Free1472353357.700946.jpg
I believe that it comes several sizes larger too.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Tiny Poodles, Jupiter is 16.5 pounds. Last night I tried something new...I left the door to the wire crate open, and put him to bed on some cushions next to me on the big bed. He went into the crate during the night (!) and stayed there until Pericles and I woke him up in the morning. Blissful sleep! He does like to roam a bit and maybe the closeness plus the ability to roam comforted him.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
An x-pen that includes the soft crate and plenty of cushions scattered around inside the pen and crate. That way Jupiter has choices and yet stays confined and safe. In the bedroom, of course. Here's how I used my x-pen to good advantage...

I clearly recall when my last little one became elderly and such concerns were a part of daily life. I went to KMart (had a car then!) and bought a toddler bed that didn't really fit in my little car but got it home somehow (we don't have that store in my city so this involved highway travel at some peril LOL) and set up for her with an Ikea dollbed as a stepstool to get up there. CL for a used toddler bed would likely be my choice now.

It's remained useful for my kitty, and when Annabelle was still here, I ex-penned her in with the toddler bed, toys, food/water, and plastic carpet runners covered with piddle pads while I went to work. Plus a bed on the floor, just in case. Worked fantastically well, especially since her potty needs as an elderly girl did not fully match my off hours from work. She stayed safe and comfortable, and that is the most important with an elderly one.

Just a thought, but sometimes maybe go and lie down in the x-pen on the cushions for a nap so Jupiter doesn't feel he's banished...

·
Registered
759 Posts
15 in three weeks, congratulations, Wow. These decisions always come sooner or later, so lucky it was later for you. I have slept in barns with some old horses, on air mattresses, and near kennels... do what is best for you.

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Hi Tiny Poodles, Jupiter is 16.5 pounds. Last night I tried something new...I left the door to the wire crate open, and put him to bed on some cushions next to me on the big bed. He went into the crate during the night (!) and stayed there until Pericles and I woke him up in the morning. Blissful sleep! He does like to roam a bit and maybe the closeness plus the ability to roam comforted him.

Glad you had a good night last night, but if the problems re-occur, consider this crate a size or two up / if you have a King size you might even be able to put it in the bed with you...

·
3,110 Posts
Don't be silly, why should you bother to read? Your brilliant ideas stand alone, no need to read what anybody else has to say, you always add a wonderful perspective to any discussion!
Actually TP, you are the one who has so many brilliant ideas. It's wonderful to have a very well informative and knowledgable person on board here. I've always admired that about you.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
I read your first post and decided to reply. When my chis got older, and I have a tall bed, I got them soggy stairs. They learned it easily, and I didn’t have to worry about them getting up in the night to go to the wee wee pads.

I’m sorry if someone else already suggested this. They have stairs in many different heights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts