Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and he's still pi$$ed off about it. My cat Mickey HATES going to the vet. He hates it so much that he has to be sedated before anyone in the exam room even touches him (including me!). On the past two visits, I had given him acepromazine--the first time having zero effect on him and the second time, after giving him a large enough dose to knock out a St. Bernard, he was like a maniac. His eyes were all weird and he was not a happy kitty; nor was he even slightly drowsy.

Today I did not give him acepromazine so that they could give him something stronger, which they did. He was out in about five minutes, but when they started examining him and sticking needles in, etc., he managed to growl and pull his leg away. The techs were surprised, but I wasn't. If any cat would be knocked out and still be combative, it would be my Mickey.

So now we've been home several hours and he seems to be wide awake. He isn't having trouble with his legs and he ate a huge bowl of food, but he still has a major attitude problem that he is directing mostly at poor little Teddy.

Earlier tonight, he got Teddy into a corner and was hissing at him. Poor Teddy first looked away and kind of lowered his head, being completely submissive and trying to calm Mickey down, but after a couple of seconds, he started trembling. I shooed Mickey away and picked Teddy up and snuggled with him.

Mickey has hissed and growled at me as well, which I fully understand. I don't understand why he seems to think of Teddy as the enemy also. He didn't do anything to deserve that.

Maybe it's just Mickey against the World right now. I sure hope he's back to his normal sweet self after a good night's sleep!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mickey just went and snuggled up on Teddy, who was sleeping on the couch. Teddy's eyes are closed, so I guess he isn't frightened.

I hope this means Mickey is giving up the fight.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
If anyone knows how to hold a grudge... it's a cat!

My cat that stayed with my parents, Thomas, is always very angry at me the first day I am home after I have been gone. He doesn't run and hide from me... worse... he sits and GLARES at me until he caves and wants to be loved. If I reach to pet him, he'll just lean out of the way and look at me like, "Um, no. You left me here. Don't ever touch me again!"

Luckily we're friends again very quickly and he usually wakes me up the next morning by cleaning my face with his sandpaper tongue!

Glad to hear that Mickey is feeling better! :)

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Poor Micky! I bet the vets were really weary too! lol

My cats are so chill, the kitten, Oslo, who's not even a year old yet is more doglike.. he'll jump in the car and want to go for a ride, and when you start driving he'll either lay in the back window or under the windshield and look out the window with his tail waving as if he were sitting in the window of a house. He's really chill with dogs, cats.. but he gets a little pissed off when you brush him ^^ At least when I brush him, because I do it RIGHT!

Obe, my other cat, the 20 pound monster, is probably the easiest cat we've ever had. He hates the car though.. as soon as he's in the carrier and in the car you start hearing sounds a cat should never make. Really sweet boy otherwise though, wont even use his claws with you play with him and is really chill with dogs as well.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Obe, my other cat, the 20 pound monster, is probably the easiest cat we've ever had. He hates the car though.. as soon as he's in the carrier and in the car you start hearing sounds a cat should never make. Really sweet boy otherwise though, wont even use his claws with you play with him and is really chill with dogs as well.
That describes Mickey to a T (even the weight-lol), and that's why it was so shocking the first time he acted out at the vet, three visits ago. I don't know what happened to make him hate it so much, but he does.

They both slept for about ten hours last night/ this morning. I woke up to find both of them sound asleep on either side of my legs and thought it must be about 7:30. It was 11:30!! Mickey is usually bugging me to get up long before then. He was knocked out! LOL

Then Teddy woke up and pounced on Mickey, Mickey made the pathetic little crying noise he makes when Teddy bites his ears and all was back to normal. No scary growling like yesterday, thank goodness.

Spencer: Once I went on vacation and left my (then only) cat Murphy with my roommate. The day I got home, I was sitting at my computer checking email and he came up to me like he wanted to be petted and suddenly stood on his hind legs, grabbed my forearm with both paws and bit into my wrist so hard that he drew blood. That was one ticked off cat! LOL

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Wow - cute story..........but I know why I love my dogs now - Cats are very interesting little furballs.

Glad he is out of his mood:)

·
Registered
319 Posts
There is nothing like major cattitude! One of my mom's cats throws up in the shoes of whoever had the audacity to take her to the vet - she is serious about her revenge. BUT she does get over it in a day or so - I'm sure your cat will calm down soon!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts