Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my toy poodle is now 7 years old. This really may sound like a ridiculous question but here goes. Every evening after dinner, she always sat with us and watched TV - stayed until around 10:00 when I took her out and then came and sat with me until bedtime.
Now she is going to her bed in my office after dinner and staying until 10 and after I walk her, she goes into her other bed in our bedroom. I can call her and she will stay with us but if I do not call her, she stays in bed.
We do go to the park and I do play with her and make her run in the house with her toys so she is getting exercise.
So unlike her - don't tell me she is bored with the TV!! Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
23,200 Posts
She is now a senior dog,not necessarily as old as the hills, but I think for many dogs their metabolism and activity level changes when they are 7 or 8. Watch her, but if you are worried it is a good time to have a senior dog check up including bloods and urinalysis as baselines for current normals.

·
Super Moderator
5,242 Posts
I agree completely. Any sudden change is worthy of a checkup, but that age can bring about some major shifts. Senior bodies have different needs, and also senior brains can suddenly realize, "Hey wait. I don't have to do that anymore. This is much comfier." In my experience, senior dogs get clingier in some ways but more autonomous in others.

How's your dog doing during the day? Any changes?

In her golden years, Gracie got especially particular about the dark. After dinner, as she settled in for her evening snooze, she wanted it dark. No exceptions. She'd bury her face if necessary.

·
Registered
12,496 Posts
I would second a vet check for any behavioural changes. If all is well a blood panel now will give a good basis for future comparisons; if anything is going awry, you will have caught it early. But my dogs definitely began to snooze more around 8 years old, especially after a busy day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts