Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heyo,

Another question from a clueless poodle fancier.

One of the top reasons I'm exited for a poodle, is the grooming.. If my dog wasn't short coated I'd spend hours picking through it. I just adore doing it. I've been looking into all sorts of information, and forums regarding grooming tools, but I know some other people have different ideas, and tips.

So far, I have this list.

Slicker brush, Pin Brush, Steel Combs (8 and 10 inch), A Dematting brush, a flea comb (mostly for eye goop). For the coat.

tooth brush, tooth paste, nail clippers, nail dremil, and then coat soother for after shave downs.

So thats for daily, what I am confused about is things like a Clippers, Scissors, and tables.

If i where to keep my poodle shaved down, with a topknot and a tail poof, what blades would I need? Whats a good shaping scissor for keeping the topknot and tail looking nice, and whats a good table?

Another question is, leave in shampoo's and conditioner? anybody use them? brand reccomendations?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Seems like a good list. I use only one comb and do not have a dematting brush because I have never needed one. You will want either an Andis or Wahl clipper. Andis 5 speed or KM5 maybe. I am not the best to recommend them though. You likely will want a trimmer like wahl bravura for face and feet. For a short body a 5 or 7 blade is probably best depending on how short you want. 7 is shorter. Personally I would say you can get by with only a pair of curved shears. Geib or Kenchii are very good. Personally I love my kenchii five stars but their cheaper Love and Scorpion models should be good too. I use the five star model with no offset so it is easy to flip. I use 7.5 inch. Maybe longer is better for a spoo.

Tables I would say are not entirely necessary for home grooming if you have a decent surface like normal table, freezer, washing machine, etc. I groomed without a real table until just recently. If you buy a table I'd just get a folding table.

With my black poodle I wear a headlamp to groom because it is hard to see properly without.

And of course you also want an HV dryer. Flying pig I would recommend as a mid range model. Shelandy is a good cheaper one.

When grooming I bathe with nature's specialties almond crisp. In between grooms I like 2in1 shampoo/conditioners like Minksheen and recently have been using Proline Fair Advantage and love it. Also get a detangler like show sheen, the stuff, etc.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aha! Knew i was forgetting something.. meant to add a HV dryer..

I have a feeling my dog also wont get mats, since I will probably brush more than needed, since I love it.. but I was thinking it can be helpful getting burrs out or something.

I was thinking table since my kitchen table sways and shakes, and thats pretty much the only table I have (washer and dryer are downstairs, in a awfully lit room)

and also for training purposes.. a loop might be helpful.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Aha! Knew i was forgetting something.. meant to add a HV dryer..

I have a feeling my dog also wont get mats, since I will probably brush more than needed, since I love it.. but I was thinking it can be helpful getting burrs out or something.

I was thinking table since my kitchen table sways and shakes, and thats pretty much the only table I have (washer and dryer are downstairs, in a awfully lit room)

and also for training purposes.. a loop might be helpful.
I find loops mildly useful. Most poodles do not need them because they are trained how to behave. I can put Misha on the table and walk away for 5 minutes and I know he will be sitting politely waiting for me to return. But it depends on the dog. Certainly if you can get a table they have their benefits. Misha's biggest issue is not wanting to stand when I'm working around his back end. So I have been putting a groom loop on his waist which helps.

I would not use a dematter for getting burrs out. My bet is it will do more damage to the hair. Misha gets tons of them and I have always used gentle slicker brushing or combs to remove them.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
I would not buy a dematting brush - it will ruin poodle fur. There's better ways to deal with a burr than a dematting brush.

I also don't use a flea comb for eye goop. I prefer to wipe with a damp cloth which softens the goop making it easy to remove.

You do need a greyhound comb - which is maybe what your two steel combs are? Mine is combined in one comb - one side tines close together and the other slightly farther apart.

There are trimmers which are lighter weight and not too powerful, and clippers which are more powerful etc. For many poodles all you need is a trimmer. You won't know until your poodle is older and has undergone it's coat change if you need to buy a clipper. My minipoo has such a thick coat that I need to use a clipper, but my tpoo that I had years ago only needed a trimmer. IOW, don't invest in a clipper unless you need it.

I love my Wahl Bravura which is a trimmer for face and sanitary. If you get metal guides (plastic ones aren't quite as good and for a life time of grooming paying a few extra dollars for metal makes sense) you can use it to do your whole poodle's trim. It's all you need for a puppy.

I have a Wahl miniarco for doing feet - although I can use the Bravura. I did my tpoo's feet with a full size trimmer so if money is unlimited the mini-trimmer is nice.

BTW, you'll see many people here have Bravura - but there's a whole family of similar trimmers such as Arco. Most of them have similar features which is why I chose to by the miniArco which is cheaper than miniBravo. If you look on Wahl's website they have a table comparing features so you can see some are very minor differences.

Buy good scissors - Japanese steel - they are expensive. If money is limited buy one pair straight, optional is to buy a curved pair. Frankly I groomed my tpoo for 20 years with straight and I struggle to groom my minipoo with curved - I actually get a nicer rounded effect of top knot and tail pompom with straight.

If you buy a grooming table, get one that fits your dog - if it's too large you'll be chasing your dog across the table. I read that tip when I was looking for my table. Mine folds so I can store it and a detachable shelf so I can store items. I have a grooming arm and I keep thinking I should remove it. I use it to dry her snood after grooming - I never use it for it's intended purpose, my dog doesn't need it.

You'll want a snood - a stretchy towel like snood to keep your dog's ears close to their head during drying.

There's lots of suggestions for equipment and supplies on this website- at the top there's a "search community" box. Before I bought anything I used that function to find all the posts on grooming supplies, read through tons of them to research what I needed.

It's very satisfying to be able to groom your poodle yourself and having good tools makes it easier.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Skylar made a great point on the snood!
I got one called the Happy Hoodie on amazon, it made blow drying less stressful for Phoebe and it helps to collect some of the moisture from her tk as well.
Also there are great suggestions for grooming books on the forum that are worth checking out.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I still haven’t been brave enough to do the total groom and clipping of Bobby but definitely I stay on top of his in-between grooming appointment needs. I eventually do want to learn how to clip him though. Anyway, I just recently bought an expensive metal comb and I love it! So much easier to comb through his hair and easier on my hands. A metal greyhound style comb is absolutely necessary so I would recommend getting the best comb that you can afford. Mine is the CC Buttercomb 005. It definitely was not cheap but I think it was worth every penny and I figure we will have it for years.

I do Bobby’s grooming on the kitchen table. We have a small house so decided the table was our best option. It works quite well for us. I did buy a nice portable folding ramp for dogs, which makes getting on and off the table a breeze for Bobby, not to mention it’s easier on my body. I use a rubber backed, washable bath mat for the top of the table so he doesn’t slide. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I use my clean thumbs for eye goops, because Peggy and I have an agreement: I get to wipe the goops from her eyes, any time I want, as long as I let her eat them.
PTP, I have actually started doing this myself. When I first read about you doing this on another post I was totally grossed out but I kept thinking about it because Bobby was totally not into me going for his eye goobers. I have no problem in having dogs do what is necessary but I felt it was becoming more and more of an issue because of me daily having to clean his eyes when he was younger. His eyes are good now except for the normal dried goobers. Anyway, I tried your technique a couple of weeks ago and all I can say is, it really works!
Bobby thinks they are the best treats ever! 😂 I sniffs them thoroughly then eats them. It is pretty gross but when one thinks about it, dog ownership involves a lot of gross things. It goes with the territory. 😊 So, I definitely recommend this technique rather than the flea comb. 😉

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for all the comments.. I appreciate them! read through them all, and wrote down some notes as well.

I got the comb idea from a video on youtube, I like watching rovers makeover.. mostly just because she talks A TON and the videos are long.. they play in the background while im doing things. She gets the dog all wet, and then gently brushes out eye goop... I always thought that it was probably just owner neglect that the eyes always looked gross (no shade, just lack of proper words here).. I didn't know if eyes actually teared or got as crusty as they do in her videos.

When I say steel comb,, I was thinking this - https://www.amazon.com/Andis-2-Inch...=1&keywords=Poodle+Comb&qid=1607116805&sr=8-9

Reactions: Phoebe’sMom

·
Registered
99 Posts
Jumping on to ask when did you all notice the metal combs became necessary as their coat changed? Oona is still in her puppy coat at 16 weeks and we've been fine so far with the pin brush every couple of days and the slicker afterwards if there are sticky spots. I don't think we will do the full home grooming experience (will leave haircuts up to the pros for now). But the comb(s) are something we don't have yet and haven't needed. I grew up with an Afghan hound and bearded collies so I'm no stranger to high grooming needs, but the mature poodle coat is obviously its own thing.

·
Super Moderator
7,218 Posts
PTP, I have actually started doing this myself. When I first read about you doing this on another post I was totally grossed out but I kept thinking about it because Bobby was totally not into me going for his eye goobers. I have no problem in having dogs do what is necessary but I felt it was becoming more and more of an issue because of me daily having to clean his eyes when he was younger. His eyes are good now except for the normal dried goobers. Anyway, I tried your technique a couple of weeks ago and all I can say is, it really works!
Bobby thinks they are the best treats ever! 😂 I sniffs them thoroughly then eats them. It is pretty gross but when one thinks about it, dog ownership involves a lot of gross things. It goes with the territory. 😊 So, I definitely recommend this technique rather than the flea comb. 😉
Lol! Yay! I was shocked when I mentioned it a while back and so many people said, "I do that, too!" Poodles are gross. :)

@Ava. What you're describing sounds like tearing that hasn't been addressed in a timely fashion. With small dogs especially, it can be hard to keep up. But those crusty stains are painful so you want to avoid letting them get to that point, if possible, with gentle daily maintenance.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thank you for all the comments.. I appreciate them! read through them all, and wrote down some notes as well.

I got the comb idea from a video on youtube, I like watching rovers makeover.. mostly just because she talks A TON and the videos are long.. they play in the background while im doing things. She gets the dog all wet, and then gently brushes out eye goop... I always thought that it was probably just owner neglect that the eyes always looked gross (no shade, just lack of proper words here).. I didn't know if eyes actually teared or got as crusty as they do in her videos.

When I say steel comb,, I was thinking this - https://www.amazon.com/Andis-2-Inch...=1&keywords=Poodle+Comb&qid=1607116805&sr=8-9
Honestly, I think it depends on the dog and the extent of the eye issues or if there is lack of regular eye cleaning. Bobby had pretty watery eyes as a pup so I was wiping them several times a day. He was starting to walk away from me whenever he saw the eye wipes. So while it never became a real battle, I didn’t want it to become one and since he just gets the normal eye boogers now it’s easier just to do take them off with my clean hands and since the goobers are now treats he doesn’t walk away from me. 😉

·
Registered
Benjamin Franlkin - Senior Tpoo, Apple Butter - mpoo puppy
96 Posts
Benjamin Franklin gets eye disgustingness REALLY badly because he is a crusty old man poodle and he has eye problems. (I mean really, what kind of problems DOESN'T the old man have. lol) He requires twice daily eye medications, so his eyes are ALWAYS a mess. We tried using the wet it down comb it out method, but it honestly just made him more mad than wetting it down and wiping it away.

If somebody has some sort of eye gunk cleaner suggestion that works better than warm water I'd love to hear it, but I haven't found it yet. :(

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I have seen those videos too and it's a good technique if the eye goop hasn't been removed in months and is cemented down but you won't need that if you clean regularly. I check eyes at least once a day.

I watch Rover's Makeover sometimes for the same reasons, though I would say she is not at all a person to learn from for poodle grooming. Not knocking her, as she clearly states that she serves clients that want a cheap groom and tend to not adequately maintain coats in between grooms. So she spends the minimum amount of time needed to achieve a serviceable groom. She doesn't fluff dry and doesn't seem too familiar with proper poodle grooming. But like... she also would never claim to be a great poodle groomer.

So the dogs in those videos typically have owners that let eye crust build up over months without cleaning it. And yeah, then it gets cemented and a flea comb is a good tool to remove it. But cleaning the eyes daily will not require that technique at all.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah - I wasn't meaning to imply that I watch her for poodles.. theres another youtuber I watch for that.. Transgroom TV.

I love rovers mostly bc like I said, she talks a lot and doggos- good background sounds.. and also because she does clips that I would like to do... comfort grooms for practicality.

Reactions: Phoebe’sMom

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Slicker brush, Pin Brush, Steel Combs (8 and 10 inch), A Dematting brush, a flea comb (mostly for eye goop). For the coat.
So thats for daily, what I am confused about is things like a Clippers, Scissors, and tables.

If i where to keep my poodle shaved down, with a topknot and a tail poof, what blades would I need? Whats a good shaping scissor for keeping the topknot and tail looking nice, and whats a good table?

Another question is, leave in shampoo's and conditioner? anybody use them? brand reccomendations?
I have never heard of a "dematting brush". If you groom regularly mats will not be an issue - you should be able to gently pull them apart with your fingers and comb or slicker brush them to completely untangle. The flea comb is not needed, either, if you just wipe the eyes with a cloth moistened with warm water.

Clippers - I like my Andis clippers. Mine are corded - I've never tried cordless ones. I also have a couple of old Oster A-5 clippers, but I prefer my new Andis. I use a 40 blade on the face and feet (my dogs have always been black poodles that do not have sensitive skin). I use a 15 on the belly, the back of the tail and around the anus. If I had a dog with sensitive skin I would probably use a 30 instead of a 40. I use a 7 blade on the body in the summer and a 4 or 5 in the winter. Legs are scissored.

Shears - I have really good curved 7 inch Japanese shears for topknot and tail - these run about $200, so I'm really, really careful not to drop them! I also have other shears, but always do finish work with the good ones. My old DoubleDuck 88 shears are still fine for most scissoring.

Table - I have two - a large one that can accommodate a standard poodle and a small one that I keep in the house for brushing my mini poodle and for trimming nails on the poodle and a chihuahua. The large table is in my shop and has a folding stepladder so large dogs can climb up (and down). My days of lifting large dogs are over! I clip the mini poo in the shop on the large table just because I don't want all that hair in the house!

Shampoo & conditioner - I use baby shampoo on the topknot and face to prevent eye irritation. I use Blackout shampoo to hide sunburned tips. I also use Biogroom shampoo in the winter. We do not have fleas (I live in the high desert of New Mexico where it is dry and cold), so no flea shampoos. I used Biogroom flea shampoo when I lived in Florida and Houston. I have Biogroom conditioner that I use occasionally - I used it all the time when Zoe was in show coat. In my opinion it is important to rinse the shampoo out very, very thoroughly, but a leave-in conditioner is OK.

Dryer - I have a stand dryer and a high speed dryer. I like the stand dryer because I can do a better job of fluff drying with it and because it blows warm air.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have never heard of a "dematting brush". If you groom regularly mats will not be an issue - you should be able to gently pull them apart with your fingers and comb or slicker brush them to completely untangle. The flea comb is not needed, either, if you just wipe the eyes with a cloth moistened with warm water.

Clippers - I like my Andis clippers. Mine are corded - I've never tried cordless ones. I also have a couple of old Oster A-5 clippers, but I prefer my new Andis. I use a 40 blade on the face and feet (my dogs have always been black poodles that do not have sensitive skin). I use a 15 on the belly, the back of the tail and around the anus. If I had a dog with sensitive skin I would probably use a 30 instead of a 40. I use a 7 blade on the body in the summer and a 4 or 5 in the winter. Legs are scissored.

Shears - I have really good curved 7 inch Japanese shears for topknot and tail - these run about $200, so I'm really, really careful not to drop them! I also have other shears, but always do finish work with the good ones. My old DoubleDuck 88 shears are still fine for most scissoring.

Table - I have two - a large one that can accommodate a standard poodle and a small one that I keep in the house for brushing my mini poodle and for trimming nails on the poodle and a chihuahua. The large table is in my shop and has a folding stepladder so large dogs can climb up (and down). My days of lifting large dogs are over! I clip the mini poo in the shop on the large table just because I don't want all that hair in the house!

Shampoo & conditioner - I use baby shampoo on the topknot and face to prevent eye irritation. I use Blackout shampoo to hide sunburned tips. I also use Biogroom shampoo in the winter. We do not have fleas (I live in the high desert of New Mexico where it is dry and cold), so no flea shampoos. I used Biogroom flea shampoo when I lived in Florida and Houston. I have Biogroom conditioner that I use occasionally - I used it all the time when Zoe was in show coat. In my opinion it is important to rinse the shampoo out very, very thoroughly, but a leave-in conditioner is OK.

Dryer - I have a stand dryer and a high speed dryer. I like the stand dryer because I can do a better job of fluff drying with it and because it blows warm air.
What is the size of the table for the mini poodle? You mentioned that it is smaller - is it 36"?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts