Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just discovered that my Spoo absolutely loves classical guitar!

He had been very restless for the last couple of days, and I had been having a hard time getting myself out with him to exercise because it it winter here! And I am having to force myself to get out there.

Someone sent me this lovely link. He calmed down, sighed, and is even occasionally moving his legs, as well as sighing, to this lovely music!

When I was about 10 years old I had a friend whose mother couple play like this! It is bringing back such fond memories.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have never had a dog that "loves" music that I could tell. I have seen adorable videos of piano teachers with pets who gather around for the evening home recital- they seem to really enjoy it!

This summer I did use dog lullabies I found on Spotify to sooth Spanky after Jojo's death. He would cry unless being actively petted or in the presence of my husband. When I put the music on he would stop crying, settle down and go to sleep. My poor Spanky, it was a hard adjustment after a lifetime of Jojo's companionship. I'm glad I found something that helped a bit. I can't say that he loved it in some kind of happy/joyful way, but he definitely found it soothing.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
I’ve never had a dog who paid much attention to music, although I believe some can be soothing and quieting for a dog. I don’t think they “love” music like we do. Zeke is pretty simple to please. He likes when I sing silly sings to him and responds well as long as I am also engaging him with silly looks on my face, lots of eye contact and/or hand movements. His favorite is when I sing the chorus to “Macho Man” when he’s being particularly macho lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Thank you for that beautiful music, kontiki. Maizie has been pesty for constant love, but when I played the guitar music, she went off on her own to catch a nap :)

I don't notice really what music my dogs like, if they have a preference, but relaxing music definitely works on them!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Newport... do you have a link to the dog lullabies music that helped your dog? I would love to be able to recommend it to others whose dogs are in grief. I have a friend who simply does not believe that dogs grieve. It is very obvious to me that since her husband died her dog is in grief. It would be so wonderful to be able to recommend something that might help.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Certainly:

Canine Lullabies: Heartbeat Music Therapy

Calming Dog by icalmdog, Calm Your Canine by pianist Lisa Spector.

Both of these are on Spotify and elsewhere. I like Calming Dog. Spanky likes Canine Lullabies- and by that I mean it puts him right to sleep.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well, I am a lifetime member of a 60’s group,Herman’s Hermits, starring Peter Noone. When Gracie was a few years old, I took her on a roadtrip to hear Peter and the band, sing! She absolutely loved him, as he came off the stage and came over to us and gave Gracie her owncd!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts